Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Route Advice for Echo to Cathedral?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Route Advice for Echo to Cathedral?
August 29, 2015 06:49PM
Hey Folks,

Planning on doing half of the HSC loop in September (Vogelsang to merced to echo to cathedral) and was wondering if anyone had done this route as shown in the picture below?
Also coming from Vogelsang, I've gone down Fletcher creek before but was wondering if the trek over vogelsang pass and going down to merced via the lewis creek was worth it?

Thanks!
Kevin

EDIT: actually depending on weather conditions, I might just go down to Budd Lake and head back to TM from there. Going with a pro photography so trying to get them some great shots.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 07:14PM by KevinD.
avatar Re: Route Advice for Echo to Cathedral?
August 30, 2015 09:25AM
Well, I haven't done that exact route, but did a similar route from Echo to Cathedral, just went to the east of the Echo Peaks with my kids, probably ages 8 and 11 at the time. Pretty cool view of the Matthes Crest from just east of the Echo Peaks. Highly recommended.

Your route should also be very doable. You can see it below in a picture taken looking northeast at Echo Peaks, Cathedral to the left and the Echo Peaks center-right.
August 30, 2015 11:19AM
Looks easy to me. tongue sticking out smiley

(whoz dat turkee in da chartruse orange shirt?)

Where ya camping?
If ya camping at Upper Cath.... then dayhikes up dat-a-way ...
z ez way is obvious to Cath Pass... via Echo lake
(sadly like Nelson... there is a trail now)

Of course Vogelsang Pass is worth doing! Best View in the park!

smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 30, 2015 01:48PM
Thanks for the response guys! Looking forward to this trip!

Chick-On, I'll be camping at Echo Lake for the night before heading back up to TM. Will definitely consider doing Vogelsang Peak instead of Fletcher Creek. Might also hike up/camp around it for the sunset.

-Kevin
August 30, 2015 05:04PM
Have fun.

A number of the Echo Peaks are not toooo terribly difficult...

tongue sticking out smiley

The tallest one can be had from what you drew in above....

(I am on #1 in pix above) (#3 is tallest and has registry on it) (at least it did)
(and that white stuff is snow me tinks)

Enjoy

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 05:05PM by chick-on.
August 30, 2015 03:54PM
We've done the reverse, from Echo Peaks down into Echo Lake. Just a bit of advice. If you find the direct route up the south side of Echo Peaks too steep, then bear right (northeast) and follow that seasonal creek up between Matthes and Echo Peaks, and then contour over once you get above the steep stretch. (Your route shows a right angle bend in this area-the further towards Matthes you go, the easier the hiking is.) That's how we came down, and it was a lot easier than some of the steep ledges and drops straight down the south side of Echo Peaks,.,

The other option is to hike right up the inlet steam from Echo Lakes. that's impossible to get lost, very easy hiking. Piece of cake.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 03:56PM by balzaccom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login