All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Missing hiker found after 9 days
August 29, 2015 07:51PM
Near Horsehead Lake, east of Shaver Lake, in the Sierra northeast of Fresno.

It sounds like the Sierra Club didn't have a very good rear guard discipline on this hike.

It's also amusing that the reporter thinks that an injured hiker couldn't drink out of a stream without having a water filter. Has it come to that?

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article32745777.html

Anyway, kudos to the searchers who kept looking after a full week of finding nothing....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 10:05PM by wherever.
avatar Re: Missing hiker found after 9 days
August 29, 2015 08:29PM
wherever
Sierras

Sierra, not "sierras".

It's also amusing that the reporter thinks that an injured hiker couldn't drink out of a stream without having a water filter. Has it come to that?

Certainly not. It's much better to risk giadiasis than to die of dehydration.
Re: Missing hiker found after 9 days
August 29, 2015 09:47PM
Odd story. She's an experienced solo hiker, but got separated from her group near Horsehead Lake. That's a pretty remote area, but the topography is pretty clear....not sure how you got "lost" in that area and don't end up near one of the trails....

But then, if it made sense, she wouldn't have been lost...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
August 30, 2015 11:16AM
Did you read where she was found?

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 30, 2015 11:30AM
I'll answer it... 19 miles. NINETEEN miles EAST of Courtwright.
Wow. Where is the trail? There is none. Not if you go east.
That she was found in what looks to me like near LeConte is pretty
damn impressive. I really don't like to comment on hiker lost
stuff... but so many times it's the experienced people who
get in trouble. How experienced? Where? How?
But in the end... unless she wandered off on her own accord...
in my book. this is on The Sierra Club...
I am not passing judgement on her. In my book I am hugely impressed.
She is one tough cookie.

Peace

August 30, 2015 10:49PM
It impresses me how the Sierra Club has been able to get their name off of many of the articles about this lost hiker. Many articles just state that she was part of a group of hikers that she didn't know (or something to that effect). Only a very small number of articles mention that it was a Sierra Club outing.

[Personal note: Several degrees of separation — she's a very close friend of a good friend of one of my longtime friends. All three live near Sacramento and know each other.]

September 01, 2015 02:11PM
Here is a later and somewhat more coherent version of the story:

http://news.yahoo.com/lost-california-hiker-survived-9-days-broken-leg-214326270.html
September 01, 2015 02:57PM
According to this link which I found on highsierratopix, she was found just west of Horsehead Lake, here, i.e. not off somewhere near the Ionian Basin as the Fresno Bee map would imply. Still very impressive that she survived that long with two broken legs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2015 03:02PM by druid.
September 02, 2015 11:49AM
September 02, 2015 02:13PM
It's hard to fault the Sierra Club for this one. She summited with the group, then chose to leave for camp ahead of the rest of the party. And fell off a cliff. There is no way that the group leader could have known she was missing until they got back to the campsite at dusk.
September 02, 2015 09:57PM
wherever

It's hard to fault the Sierra Club for this one. She summited with the group, then chose to leave for camp ahead of the rest of the party. And fell off a cliff. There is no way that the group leader could have known she was missing until they got back to the campsite at dusk.

Agree.

I wonder if she went off route too on her way back to camp. I presume she was blowing her whistle the day she fell since she never lost consciousness. So glad that she survived the ordeal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login