Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sunrise Lakes trailhead Permits question

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sunrise Lakes trailhead Permits question
August 31, 2015 01:39PM
Hi all,

I want to embark on my first visit to yosemite, and do a multi-day backpacking trip.
First of all sorry if these questions have already been asked, I don't have any national parks experience and it's all quite confusing.
The trip I want to do is starting from Tenaya Lake to Sunrise lakes, cloud rest, to LYV and Happy Isles.

Now, I have a few questions regarding permits.

1) I assume it's too late to reserve my permit in advance, as I want to go at the end of september. Is this correct?

2) I want to get a first-come first-serve permit and I start my trip at Sunrise Lakes trailhead...
So before I obtain my permit, where am I allowed to camp in order to obtain my permit the day before my trip starts?

3) If I get a permit at Sunrise lakes trailhead, Is that all I need for the remainder of my trip? (Assuming I don't do Half Dome)

4) How busy is Sunrise Lakes trailhead? If I camp there at the end of September and get up early, can I be (relatively) certain of obatining a permit?

Thank you all! I'm really looking forward to my trip!
avatar Re: Sunrise Lakes trailhead Permits question
August 31, 2015 02:25PM
Carlton
1) I assume it's too late to reserve my permit in advance, as I want to go at the end of september. Is this correct?

Yes, it's too late to reserve.

before I obtain my permit, where am I allowed to camp in order to obtain my permit the day before my trip starts?

You can only camp in open campgrounds. At the end of September that probably means Porcupine Flat. If you are unable to get a site there, try along Lee Vining Creek east of the park.

3) If I get a permit at Sunrise lakes trailhead, Is that all I need for the remainder of my trip? (Assuming I don't do Half Dome)

Yes, as long as it is one continuous backpack.

4) How busy is Sunrise Lakes trailhead? If I camp there at the end of September and get up early, can I be (relatively) certain of obatining a permit?

Camping is not allowed there.
August 31, 2015 02:35PM
Re (1), according to the "Full trailhead report", there might be availability on the 27th but every other date in September is full (or was when I looked at it):

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/fulltrailheads.pdf

But there are cancellations, so you should check.

Re (2), see this: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm

You can use a backpackers camp the night before your trip, IF you get your walk-in permit. For example, suppose you show up Wednesday morning looking for a walk-up permit starting Thursday. If you get the permit you could spend Wednesday night in the backpackers camp.

Re (3), when you apply for a permit you specify your entry date and trailhead, AND your exit date and trailhead, and specify where you'll camp on your first night. Where else you go in between those is up to you.

Re (4), according to the full trailhead report it's one of the busiest spots in the entire park. It would be good to research a couple of alternatives just in case. Glen Aulin -> Ten Lakes, perhaps?

If you haven't, you should read the whole process here:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm

Hope that helps, ...Sam
avatar Re: Sunrise Lakes trailhead Permits question
August 31, 2015 02:40PM
Carlton
Hi all,

I want to embark on my first visit to yosemite, and do a multi-day backpacking trip.
First of all sorry if these questions have already been asked, I don't have any national parks experience and it's all quite confusing.
The trip I want to do is starting from Tenaya Lake to Sunrise lakes, cloud rest, to LYV and Happy Isles.

***You might look at starting at the Cathedral Lake trailhead as it has reservations open on the 27, 28, 29, 30th of September. It's a bit of a longer hike but you can get reservations as of now for those dates.

2) I want to get a first-come first-serve permit and I start my trip at Sunrise Lakes trailheadā€¦
So before I obtain my permit, where am I allowed to camp in order to obtain my permit the day before my trip starts?

***You can request a walk-uip permit the day before you start your hike and then can camp at the backpackers campground the night before you start your hike.
If you arrive two nights before you want to start your hike you will have to find some other place to camp on the first night. The backpackers campgrounds are for the night before and the night after you finish your hike.

***Once you get a permit for your desired trailhead that is all that is needed. Since your trip will reasonably take you to a point where you can do Half Dome you can request a HD permit on your wilderness permit. You do not have to get into the day hike lottery. There may be a charge for the HD permit of $8.00. I don't know if this is per person or one charge for everyone included on the permit.

***Again, you can request a permit for your trip on the day before you start to hike. The "day before" permits aren't doled out until after 11AM I believe so if you are too early you will be standing around for a while but the sooner you get there the closer to the head of the line you will be. If you don't get a day ahead permit then come back the morning of your hike and see if there were any no-shows for reservations which are held until 10 or 11AM. There will probably be no-shows.

***Important info needed, what is the date you plan to arrive in the park, what time will you arrive, which entrance will you be coming in from, and what day do you want to start your hike?

Old Dude

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2015 02:58PM by mrcondron.
September 01, 2015 03:54PM
Carlton
Hi all,

<<<Check the full trailheads report for cancellations but I believe when I last looked all reservable permits for Sunrise were booked for the month. As someone mentioned, going in at Cathedral is a good alternative if it's available, but it will add a good 5 miles to the front end of your itinerary (making some assumptions here on where you were planning to camp that first night).>>>

2) I want to get a first-come first-serve permit and I start my trip at Sunrise Lakes trailhead...

<<<If you arrive by public transportation, you can stay in backpackers camp even w/o the permit. If you arrive by car, you'll need to check into one of the regular campgrounds...but some start closing in late Sept. Be aware that when the main campgrounds close for the season in Sept., the backpackers camps attached to them close as well. There are also some NFS campgrounds closer towards Lee Vining. If you are really desperate, get a walkup permit for anything that's available near TM and camp there overnight.>>>

<<<All you need in terms of permits as long as you are on connecting trails. You do need to figure out transportation to/from the starting/ending trailheads as YARTS only runs weekends in Sept. and Yosemite's shuttle stops running sometime mid-Sept.>>>

<<<I tried mid week last week and it was booked. As we get deeper into fall it might loosen up if you're planning on going mid-week but weekends are still in high demand.>>

September 02, 2015 04:43AM
Hi all,

Thank you all very much for your amazing advice! What a great community!
As sammydee mentioned, only the 27th seemed to be available for sunrise lakes.

Yesterday I sent in my fax and today the 27th is fully booked as well, so I managed to grab the last remaining reservation!
(I got email confirmation!)

cjoz, thank you for your mentioning of the public transportation.
I looked into it and the Hwy 120/395 YARTS does indeed only run on weekends in september.
As my Entry date is a sunday (the 27th), I'm very lucky because that's the last weekend the bus runs.

Thanks again for the great advice! I can't wait for my trip to begin!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login