All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Dayhiking on October 25th
September 16, 2015 07:08PM
I have October 25th available for hiking.
Originally I thought about staying at Tuolumne Meadows campground, but recently learned that it's open only till the end of September.

I am confused by this closure.
I understand that Tioga road is still open in October (in the last 25 years only in 2004 it was closed prior to October 25th according to http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm).
Is there a chance for me to camp at or near Tuolumne Meadows on October 25th?

I have very limited exposure to Yosemite hiking (only Half Dome, Yosemite Falls and Mt. Dana) and want to explore new areas.
My current options are:
- hiking near Tuolumne Meadows (once I spent ~30 minutes hiking in this area and was fascinated by Lambert Dome and other smaller domes)
- hiking Sonora Peak (I never bean to Sonora Pass)

Am I missing anything?
Could you recommend another worthy option?
avatar Re: Dayhiking on October 25th
September 16, 2015 08:04PM
Yury
Is there a chance for me to camp at or near Tuolumne Meadows on October 25th?

None at all. You can't even park overnight after October 15th.
September 16, 2015 08:23PM
You can though camp at a one of the campgrounds just outside the park on the east side of Tioga Pass. I beleive there are three or four between the park entrance amd 395. Saddlebag Lake has a decent one.

Old Dude
September 17, 2015 03:50PM
mrcondron
You can though camp at a one of the campgrounds just outside the park on the east side of Tioga Pass.

I would like to avoid this option to save on driving, because next day I need to be back west.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2015 03:50PM by Yury.
Re: Dayhiking on October 25th
September 17, 2015 06:51PM
Saddlebag Campground is a 20 minute drive to Lembert Dome parking lot...
November 04, 2015 06:36PM
Thank you for this info.
I stayed in a hotel in Central Valley, then drove to Sonora Pass and hiked Sonora Peak on October 25th.
The weather was decent - temperature slightly above freezing, strong wind and no rain/snow.
Driving on dry pavement was enjoyable.
I got lucky because snow was falling prior to October 25th and recently and in both case e.g. Tioga Pass was closed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login