All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Summit Lake (Virginia Lakes TH) (pics)
September 30, 2015 07:21PM
I hiked to Summit Lake from the Virginia Lakes trailhead last weekend. Hiking out Saturday, the sky was partly cloudy, the temperatures felt like summer but the winds felt like fall. And, those winds stirred up enough cold water in Summit Lake that I didn't go swimming. Sunday...the strong winds went away, but the sky was hazy with high clouds.

Small streams still have water on the east side here, there is outflow from Summit Lake, and the upper reaches of Green Creek along the trail from Virginia Lakes have water. Water is flowing through the Virginia Lakes chain, as well as a trickle along the streamlet draining Moat Lake. The monsoon rains must have helped quite a bit in this area.

Driving up Sonora Pass Friday evening, there were a number of areas where the aspens seemed to be dropping their leaves before they had really turned. I did, however, get a nice color picture from the Virginia Lakes trail.

Summit Lake, from near the unnamed 11.1K ft pass:

Virginia Lakes valley, from the pass:

Hoover Lakes, in the Green Creek valley, from the trail coming down from the pass:

Late-afternoon view of Summit Lake:

Fall color:

Re: Summit Lake (Virginia Lakes TH) (pics)
September 30, 2015 09:06PM
Lovely... We went past Summit from Virginia Lakes TH a few weeks ago. Very different weather... Thought it looked great then, looks absolutely stunning in your pics!

Thanks for sharing!!
October 01, 2015 07:47AM
Enjoyed looking at your photos!
October 04, 2015 08:45PM
Nice photos! And just in time, since they closed Sonora Pass today...

I always thought that was called Virginia Lakes Pass....btw.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Summit Lake (Virginia Lakes TH) (pics)
October 05, 2015 01:31PM
balzaccom
Nice photos! And just in time, since they closed Sonora Pass today...

It's open now.
avatar Re: Summit Lake (Virginia Lakes TH) (pics)
October 05, 2015 07:02PM
balzaccom
I always thought that was called Virginia Lakes Pass....btw.

That name would make sense, but I didn't see it given anywhere. Curiosly, the Virginia Lakes Resort incorrectly calls it "Summit Pass" ("Summit Pass" is more reasonably signed on one side of the sign at the Yosemite border, the other side of the sign saying "Summit Lake" ).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2015 07:05PM by ttilley.
October 23, 2015 09:25AM
Thanx for the pics! I am surprised how high that pass from Virginia Lakes is...I assumed it was lower. ( I haven't hiked out of that trailhead before. I've just done the out and back to Summit Lake from the Green Creek trailhead.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login