Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: TR: Tuolumne Meadows to Gallison Lake (10/03-04)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

TR: Tuolumne Meadows to Gallison Lake (10/03-04)
October 06, 2015 02:14PM
Did an overnight trip this past weekend to Gallison Lake and the Lewis Creek area from Tuolumne Meadows. On Saturday, the day was clear, sunny, and with a blue sky. Temps were in the mid-60s for most of the day. We'd read the weather forecasts and were prepared for precipation at night and for Sunday.

Rafferty Creek trail

We left the trail after Vogelsang Lake to hike up the east side of the peak (class 3). We reached the ridge a bit north of the summit, and then continued south to the summit over some boulders. The terrain on the west side of the ridge is more level, in contrast with the quick drop-off on the east. The views from here are spectacular: meadows, lakes, peaks, and mountain ranges as far as you can see.

Vogelsang Lake

Half Dome, Cloud's Rest, Emeric Lake

Tuolumne Meadows in the far distance

Lewis Creek Basin

We descended on the south side of the peak where it's mostly flat with some interspersed shrubs. Then headed north towards the trail down a gently sloping field of scree. This approach is the easier one, class 2. Once back on the trail, we headed towards Vogelsang Pass. After about half a mile, we left the trail again and headed east towards Gallison Lake. We headed across the meadow towards a lonely stand of trees where we spent the night. The landscape here is spectacular.

Gallison Lake

The sun set about 7:30pm, and around 8pm, the Milky Way was visible already. It would have been great for night sky photos, but I was too cold. During the night, the sky remained clear, temperatures dropped to the low 30s, but the wind never stopped. I'm guessing some gusts were in the 30mph range. I'd hear the wind blowing up the canyon walls, and a few seconds later would feel the walls of the tent flopping around. Nonetheless, I managed to get a good sleep.

Around 5am, it began to hail lightly. At 7am, we headed to the far lake near the base of Parsons Peak to do some exploring. When we reached the lake, the snow was falling consistently and sticking. Pretty soon, the whole landscape was covered in white.

Sunday morning

Vogelsang Lake

The snow continued falling until we reached the HSC. Below 10,000', the sky remained overcast, but the ground was mostly clear, and temps quickly reached into the 40s. Around 3pm, we reached the cars at the Tuolumne Meadows Wilderness Center. Hwy 120 was blocked in the east direction at the center. A few miles east of the Tuolumne Grove, there was a park ranger limiting traffic going into Tuolumne Meadows.

Bridge over Lyell Fork

I found the Lewis Creek area to be very spectacular and enjoyed this trip very much. In particular, I liked the contrast between the clear day on Saturday and then during the storm on Sunday. Enjoy the photos.
October 06, 2015 04:29PM
WoW ! Great pics and a great trip. Thanks for posting.
October 06, 2015 05:18PM
Wow great pics! Was there a few weeks back and wanted to do gallison but the rain posed a few issues. Glad you had a great trip! Thanks for sharing!
avatar Re: TR: Tuolumne Meadows to Gallison Lake (10/03-04)
October 07, 2015 06:41AM
Gallison looks like a nice area, thanks for posting.
October 07, 2015 07:40AM
Nice. If you look closely you may see some boats on Emeric... smiling smiley

JKW, Z Ole Stick n Fedders n eye were in the area over the weekend.

Tanks for Sharon...

O... maybe interesting... or not...

Gallison from Feb 15 of this year:

hehehe

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,78632,78632#msg-78632

Tanks fur Sharon

Half a Dome fun out der
Chick-on is looking at you!

edit: ... ok I lied... this is Gallison:

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2015 07:44AM by chick-on.
October 15, 2015 09:40AM
Awesome! thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
November 30, 2015 03:22PM
Our paths must have crossed on Sunday as you were headed down Rafferty Creek. My friend and I left TM around 8:45 am after just squeaking through the east entrance before 120 was closed. We camped at Vogelsang Lake that night with gusts around 40 mph in the wee hours and around an inch of new snow. It warmed up fast in the morning though and Vogelsang Pass was bare. Here's Gallison from just below the pass at noon on Sunday.

We had glorious weather for the next five days exploring the Lyell Fork headwaters and Hutchings Creek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login