Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: 5 day backcountry camping from November 11th -15th

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

5 day backcountry camping from November 11th -15th
October 20, 2015 01:47PM
I realize the forecast is going to play a part in planning this trip. I was thinking of starting in Tuolumne Meadows and following the JMT to Yosemite Valley...weather permitting. If Tioga Rd. is still open is there any form of transportation to Tuolumne Meadows since there is no overnight parking after Oct. 15? With that being said, has anyone done this trip during this time of year? If the weather is bad...can anyone recommend a 4-5 day backcountry trip leaving out of the Valley? We don't need to be on the move everyday and can do day hikes but we want to stay in the backcountry while we're there. It's my first visit to Yosemite so I would love your insight.
avatar Re: 5 day backcountry camping from November 11th -15th
October 21, 2015 07:10AM
I did a solo 3 day jaunt in 2008 between storms on Nov 14-16...
But I started in the valley... up Snow Creek Trail all the way to Cathedral Lakes Trail head...
and back down the JMT to the valley... It involved plenty of walking in the snow...
and iirc it was just after the person got stuck near Red Devil Lake and
required a rescue...

found it ... here:
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2008/11/rescued-yosemite-hiker-has-lots-be-thankful-year

This is my footy prints near Cathedral..

Anywho... please be very mindful of the weather (I know... you already mentioned)...
You would have to get dropped off at TM if you want to shorten the hike...
hitchhiking is an option... and is allowed in YNP... as long as you are in a turnout..
awaiting... and a hoping..

Since you have never been I would be very leery of recommending that loop...
Unless you are certain that the weather will hold for 5 days...

There's lots of nice long dayhikes you can do out of the valley... or in the valley...
and if GP road is still open... highly recommend you drive there.

Keep an eye on how much snow falls on each storm... and when the road closes...
if it does by then... and you can get a good sense of what you will run into.
I dunno your experience... but please be safe.

Any trail out of the valley is what I would recommend. Getting way way up
into the high country ... without having been there before... not sure can rec.
in mid Nov...

So much to see just in the valley.. please do a bunch of that first.
With 5 days you could backpack Snow Creek->Yose Falls loop...
and then do another trip up Merced River...

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 21, 2015 02:54PM
It really does depend on weather, as you mentioned. I would suggest looking at the following option:
Up Yosemite Falls trail, then east over to North Dome and then Snow Creek (a possible exit point back to the valley if the weather and/or snow are too much)
If still good, continue up to Tenaya Lake, where you could head back up the Sunrise Lakes trail towards Clouds Rest and Little Yosemite Valley and back down to Happy Isles
Or if really good, from Tenaya Lake head up to the Cathedral Lakes and then back down.
This loops gives you bail out flexibility if need at the Snow Creek trail and, if you have an AT&T cell phone you will get reception perhaps all the way up to Tenaya Lake in order to be able to check out the weather reports.

I did a version of this trip in December of 2011, trip report here.
October 21, 2015 02:56PM
Re: hitchhiking in Yosemite

As there is no parking along the 120 corridor now, so either being dropped off, hitchhiking, or walking up from the Valley are your only options right now to Tuolumne.

As someone who thumbs a lot with a backpack, hitching a ride if a single (or a two...but not as easy to get a ride with enough room for two and backpacks) is not that hard in the park provided you have a legit backpack and a visible destination sign...Tuolumne...the backpack assures the ride you are a real backpacker, not a bum.
Regarding hitchhiking, it is not allowed per se...but, if you are not standing in the street (instead thumbing from the curb, or standing in back of the painted line in the street), you are then technically, not considered hitchhiking but loitering... which is legal.

You could still go, provided you are confident in the long-term weather forecast...right? Suggest standing west of the Lodge, being always mindful of leaving an adequate place for your potential ride to pull over safely. Good luck!
October 21, 2015 05:30PM
In the park hitchhiking is allowed....

It's in here:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/management/upload/compendium.pdf

Was told this by a ranger... but who believes me?
smiling smiley

Original poster... please be aware of this closure if heading up Snow Creek Trail or thereabouts:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/management/upload/snowcreekclosure2015.pdf

Have fun n Be Safe

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 21, 2015 08:27PM
chick-on
In the park hitchhiking is allowed....

It's in here:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/management/upload/compendium.pdf

Was told this by a ranger... but who believes me?
smiling smiley

For those who are interested (as stated in the Compendium linked above) hitchhiking is permitted in Yosemite National Park in the following areas under the terms and conditions noted:
  • All areas of the park when the person is off the roadway surface and when public safety and traffic flow are not adversely affected.
  • When vehicles may safely pull off of the main traffic lane into a turnout or safely onto the shoulder to allow for the passengers to be received.
  • When not under the influence of alcohol or intoxicating drugs.
  • When hitchhiking behavior is safe and not a nuisance
  • Except in residential areas where signs exist establishing the area as residential areas only and discouraging public traffic.

October 22, 2015 02:47PM
Indeed even the natives hitch hike:

http://www.davidsenesac.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login