All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Sequoia Halloween Weekend Dayhikes (pics)
November 06, 2015 05:18PM
Halloween weekend saw near perfect weather, and I had previously reserved a room at Wuksachi Lodge. Saturday I hiked from Wolverton to Heather Lake via the Watchtower, returning by the Hump.

The watchtower. I didn't see Tokopah falls going, but I heard some water coming from somewhere, so the rains have had some impact.

From the watchtower, looking east, up the Marble Fork Kaweah:

Heather Lake. I've seen it before, but not without snow.

On Sunday, the view from Moro Rock looking up towards the Great Western Divide. There seems to be a fair bit of bark-beetle damage in this valley, but not nearly as extensive as along CA-180 around the 5000 ft. level heading up (most trees were damaged there!).

And, Moro Rock:

There was a fair bit of green grass in the lower elevation area near the Ash Mountain entrance, it appears the southern CA rains in October must have reached this area. Similar altitudes driving over Pacheco Pass near the Bay Area are completely brown.
avatar Re: Sequoia Halloween Weekend Dayhikes (pics)
November 07, 2015 11:52AM
Really lovely photos, ttilley! SEKI doesn't get nearly enough love from us Yosemite-niks. It's so beautiful there.
November 09, 2015 02:17PM
Always great views from the Watchtower.
Here is what it looked like when I was up there in March:

Thanks for posting.
November 09, 2015 05:28PM
Nice view and water flow, but...March? That should all have been buried.
November 11, 2015 07:28AM
Tanks Tom.

We got smoked out (Rough) of a couple three or more trips in SEKI this year...
Tehipite... grrr
Moose... grrr
Deadman... grrr

grrr grrr grrr

Luckily there was water everywhere... and it wasn't too difficult to avoid the smoke.

have fun!

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 11, 2015 08:12AM
The Rough Fire was finally contained last weekend after 3 months.They're not re-opening Cedar Grove until next year, the park newsletter mentioned roadway and guardrail damage.
Re: Sequoia Halloween Weekend Dayhikes (pics)
November 19, 2015 01:18PM
I'm behind on posting...

Thank you, Ttilley, for posting!! Love staying at Wuksachi!

As Chick-on said, we missed several backpacking trips there, but even worse for a different circle of friends and family, two annual camping trips had to be cancelled as well!!! Sniff...

Well, thank you again for sharing and reminding me how lovely it is there!

Be well!

Adding: 1) great to see clear blue sky!!!

2) Did u do the watchtower after the rockfall not too many years ago? We had to take our packs off and push them ahead of us and crawl through. My knees did not like that!! I can't recall when that was... Thankfully cleared up now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 01:21PM by JustKeepWalking.
November 19, 2015 04:22PM
This is actually my first time to the Watchtower, my two other trips out of Wolverton have been winter trips, only open route is over the Hump.
Re: Sequoia Halloween Weekend Dayhikes (pics)
November 19, 2015 08:01PM
We love to go in winter.. but we go with friends with kids and we end up tooling about with them in the snow play area most of the time. But we usually take a day to go snowshoe through the Giant Forest. The last few winters, though, we've had dry hiking and summer-like conditions, so we covered a LOT of ground... Have yet to do the Hump trail!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login