Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Condition of Trails in Yosemite Valley - Panorama Trail

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Condition of Trails in Yosemite Valley - Panorama Trail
November 10, 2015 01:25PM
I am considering a last-minute bonsai run up to Yosemite to do two days of hiking. I would like to hike the 4 Mile Trail and the Panorama Trail on Thursday, then the trail to the top of Yosemite Falls on Friday morning.

Does anyone know the current condition of these two trails? I would be hiking alone and want to confirm they are hikeable before driving up from San Diego.

Thanks,

Hikerneil
Re: Condition of Trails in Yosemite Valley - Panorama Trail
November 10, 2015 08:15PM
Snow is at 4,000 feet, so most of this trail will have some snow on it...and it's in the shade, so that snow will melt slowly

And I bet you want to do a Banzai hike, not a bonsai hike--unless you want to see tiny trees?

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Condition of Trails in Yosemite Valley - Panorama Trail
November 11, 2015 07:10AM
Do Yose Falls on Thursday... and 4 Mile / Panorama on Friday.

From NPS website the 4 Mile trail hasn't been closed... so... it should be fine with
Kahtoolas... and most of the Panny Trail is south facing-ish...
If you are comfortable with a bit of snow... then no biggie imo...

Check out the webcam to see the current conditions from GP area.... gives a good idea

http://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

You won't be alone

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 11, 2015 07:13AM
I don't see any trails really closed yet... so you should be fine..
and the amount of snow on the trail should be ok to just hike on...
you will have plenty of company...
which means that some sort of microspikes are prob. in order.

Some may question my south facing Panny comment...
but imo... if you made it to GP... then the Panny is not a big whoofie...

November 11, 2015 07:17AM
Yes, correction: it will be a banzai trip!

Sounds like the conditions are fine and weather looks good. I will take micro-crampons and be prepared to turn around if trail disappears. I have hiked Panorama many times, so I feel comfortable trying it. I hope to see others out there too.

I am psyched for beautiful hike!

Thanks.
November 11, 2015 07:19AM
It's gonna be gorgeous out.

Enjoy

November 15, 2015 05:59PM
I made my Banzai run to Yosemite, arriving on Thursday night. The roads were dry. I stayed in a Curry Village cabin - got a fantastic rate of under $30 (the cost of the cabin = low temperature for the night).

On Friday I hiked up the Four Mile Trail. The trail was a little slippery in some areas, but I didn't even use my crampons. I got up to Glacier Point and saw absolutely no one. I then continued on - hiking around the Panorama Trail to Nevada Falls. I hiked down the JMT to Happy Isles. The trip took 6 hours and was absolutely jaw-dropping beautiful. I took almost 200 pictures (which I will try to figure out how to post here - I am a new user). I walked thru snow the entire way across from GP to Nevada falls - but it was easy walking as numerous people had broken trail previously. It was very slippery in a few areas descending down the JMT. I treated myself to an exquisite meal at the Awahnee that night!

On Saturday morning I got up super early and hiked up to the top of Yosemite Falls. The trail was very dry, until I got to the top where it was covered with snow and was very cold. The upper one third of the trail was quite windy early in the morning, but the wind had died down when I came down.

Both hikes were spectacular.

I have decided I love Yosemite even more in the winter. I guess I prefer Tuolumne Meadows in the summer and Yosemite Valley in the winter.

I will be back.
November 16, 2015 08:14AM
Nice. Thanks for coming back and saying what you did.

People really appreciate that.

It was absolutely gorgeous out last weekend.. even Sunday!

November 16, 2015 11:25AM
Seconding Chick-on's comment about coming back to give a report. Love to hear what happened!

And yes, the weekend was gorgeous! Loved the snow too!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login