Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Snowshoe Buying advice?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Snowshoe Buying advice?
December 25, 2015 08:57PM
Hey Folks!

Happy Holidays!

I've decided to finally purchase my own set of snow shoes and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions? I get a deal with MSR and was hoping to go with them. I'd like to use them for some cross country trips in yose and SEKI (hoping to get to some peaks). Was looking at the MSR Revo Explores but have heard that they aren't too good for unpacked snow trails and that there binding system is a toe killer. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin
December 26, 2015 08:05AM
I love our MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes. For XC, I won't use anything else right now. Our Northern Lites Elites are relegated to easy trails now.

I use them with lightweight mids or trail runners. Chick-on uses boots.

The traction is amazing. First trip with them, I asked for a bit of XC to get used to what they can do. Chick-on delivered... Steep steep steep. Icy bits. Getting over logs, shrubs, twigs. Side-hillling.

The binding system was great! I can't pinch my big toes much, or there will be nerve pain, but I got the adjustment right with these quickly. No squirming, didn't have to crank down too hard, solid tracking of the shoe.

Given how much we like to go, worth every penny, especially on a good sale/discount!

Have fun!
December 27, 2015 05:24PM
Hey JustWalking,

Much appreciated! Good to hear that lightweight mids work well with them. The Mrs uses the Salomon Ultra mids and was worried it wouldn't work!
Was looking at that one but the Revo Ascents also caught my attention since they were $30 cheaper. Seems like the Lightening have more traction though...

Tough call...its either 2 sets of snow shoes for the Mrs and I or a nice down sleeping bag! Nearly froze myself at Zion last weekend with its -15 windchill!

Thanks,
Kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2015 05:25PM by KevinD.
December 27, 2015 07:17PM
Yup. I used the Salomon X Ultra Mid II GTX Hiking "boots".

They don't breathe quite as well as the La Sportiva Synthesis Surround GTX mids... But I had cushioning issues with those La Sportivas on bare ground, and a pressure point on the top of my foot (no snowshoes needed for that pain). When we were in fresh snow and cold weather, the Salomons were fine with respect to sweat build-up.

Ultimately, for comfortable (and safe) winter travel, you'll need both good snowshoes and a warm bag! Good luck!
December 31, 2015 06:38PM
Slightly off topic, But does Yose mind if I go XC around the GP area? Was thinking of testing out my new MSR Ascents (Thanks for the advice JKW!) by going out to Dewey than XCing over to Sentinel!

-Kevin
avatar Re: Snowshoe Buying advice?
December 31, 2015 08:53PM
KevinD
Slightly off topic, But does Yose mind if I go XC around the GP area? Was thinking of testing out my new MSR Ascents (Thanks for the advice JKW!) by going out to Dewey than XCing over to Sentinel!

-Kevin

You can cross-country pretty much anywhere you like. Don't shoe on top of ski tracks though.

Old Dude
January 04, 2016 11:03PM
mrcondron
KevinD

-Kevin

You can cross-country pretty much anywhere you like. Don't shoe on top of ski tracks though.

Sounds good! Thanks!

Quick question, my friend doesn't want to spend as much as I did on snow shoes and was considering the class MSR Denalis. Would anyone know how these hold up against the Ascents for XC? A $100 at campmor, there are hard to give up!

Thanks,
Kevin
January 05, 2016 07:46AM
They get such rave reviews... I wouldn't hesitate to buy them...
I use 22" shoes... (MSR Lightning Ascents) and have the tails...
and quite honestly... with me at 165 + pack... the tails should
be on all the time... but it's a matter of weight on your feets...
and even with 25" with the tails... ya still sink like crazy in new snow..
So most of the time I don't even take the tails...
Anywho... Denali's are very popular... and get great reviews...
worse case you could bust trail for your buddy all the time...
hehehehe
tongue sticking out smiley

Have fun!

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 05, 2016 07:52AM
I guess depends on the width of your gait and way you walk, length of leg, etc.

I used those long time ago. Did not like them. I'm 5' 5", 29" inseam and kept stepping on the inside edges a lot. Back then, I ended up buying Northern Lite Elites (also pricey). The Lightning ascents are narrow and grippy and I feel I can walk quite normally in them.

I have never tried true XC in the Denalis. I wouldn't be able to control the shoes well enough. It was a lot of trouble for me to walk straight.

My sister in law has them. She is much taller. Has used them in Sequoia on Giant Forest trails and Yosemite's Merced and Tuolumne Groves (easy trails) and likes them.

Denalis are tough and have quite good traction. If u can walk in them, should be decent enough.

Just back from four day-3 night backpacking snowshoe trip with mix of winter snowshoe "trail", true XC and summer trail (Pohono). The Lightning ascents never once caused me any grief! Loving them!
January 07, 2016 01:47PM
I am running the MSR lightning ascents in 25". I am 200 lbs and I carry a 30-40 lb pack (tails help here). I don't float, but it is a heck of a lot better than post holing. I also don't break the trail all the time either, and they have excellent traction on the crunchy stuff. My buddy just bought some Yukon Charlies pretty cheap and he hasn't had a problem. I don't know how they will be durability wise, but he likes them.
January 11, 2016 02:37AM
Just got back from Yose and just wanted to thank everyone for their input! My new set of Ascents rocked! Went xc from GP road to Crocker Point and had a blast! Took sometime getting used to them scratched the deck up pretty bad...still getting over "new toy" anxiety sad smiley

One concern I did have though was that I had to lift pretty high on GP road to not drag the back end of the tails on my 25 inch shoe. Is this normal? Or is it ok to drag the back end?

Thanks!
-Kevin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2016 10:27PM by KevinD.
January 11, 2016 07:48AM
They are articulated... so that is normal tongue sticking out smiley
No need to baby those shoes... they are very very solid...
and MSR is great about them...
(had two issues with mine... but ... believe me... I was not
gentle with them..)
a - one of the cotter pins broke on me... IN the backcountry...
had to use some wire to make it so it no longer rotated... so
could hike out... (I recommend taking a spare cotter pin...
I think they make a "repair" kit) (they sent me a couple after
I emailed them and said this COULD NOT happen ...
my life kinda depends on them working!)
b - the pins which held the footbed and such in place... well..
they simple wore out from being used so much...
(if you didn't notice... at all... there is no "off season" with me)
(this is what I love to do... and I get stir crazy after a few days...
let alone 6 months... )
c - I broke the crampon ... it simply cracked ... ok my fault...
too much walking on granite...

anywho... that was 3... o... and for b above... MSR sent me a
new pair of snowshoes... smiling smiley

So... go... have fun.. and no need to baby them...

smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 11, 2016 01:09PM
And heres me thinking that I really screwed up my shoes from stepping on them so much ahahha! Good idea on the repair kit. Ordered!

There goes the ferrari red!

Thanks Chick-on,
Kevin

chick-on
They are articulated... so that is normal tongue sticking out smiley
No need to baby those shoes... they are very very solid...
and MSR is great about them...
(had two issues with mine... but ... believe me... I was not
gentle with them..)
a - one of the cotter pins broke on me... IN the backcountry...
had to use some wire to make it so it no longer rotated... so
could hike out... (I recommend taking a spare cotter pin...
I think they make a "repair" kit) (they sent me a couple after
I emailed them and said this COULD NOT happen ...
my life kinda depends on them working!)
b - the pins which held the footbed and such in place... well..
they simple wore out from being used so much...
(if you didn't notice... at all... there is no "off season" with me)
(this is what I love to do... and I get stir crazy after a few days...
let alone 6 months... )
c - I broke the crampon ... it simply cracked ... ok my fault...
too much walking on granite...

anywho... that was 3... o... and for b above... MSR sent me a
new pair of snowshoes... smiling smiley

So... go... have fun.. and no need to baby them...

smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2016 01:50PM by KevinD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login