Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Go (to) Stanford!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Go (to) Stanford!
December 30, 2015 07:28PM
A few weekends ago we took off on snowshoes towards Crocker Point for a few chilly nights in the snow. The day started off fairly sunny, and the path towards Dewey Point was well-trod.

A some point along this path, we heard an infamous John Williams leitmotif, and not from the just-released Episode VII: our trip was about to be Vadered.* The change: we would head to Stanford Point instead of Crocker. So, we headed down Meadow Brook through virgin powdery snow, passing through a few meadows with hoar frost in them.

Eventually we emerged at our destination, and the view was of course worth the effort.

After stomping down a flat area for the tent, we pitched it; soon thereafter we were in cooking dinner and melting snow. Once all that was done, we were fast asleep--or at least I was. Confession: the previous day had been my birthday, so we went out to see said Episode VII, so I had started the day with only a few hours of sleep.

The next day we planned to hike down to Inspiration Point and back up. We had a leisurely breakfast of pancakes (as promised here!), so we got a late start, but it was all downhill--to Inspiration Point, at least.

The snow remained surprisingly deep even as we descended.

The sign marking, well, perhaps "Old" Inspiration Point, was barely visible.

Near (new) Inspiration Point it seemed as if we might run out of snow, but there was always enough to keep the snowshoes on.

It had been cloudy all morning, but the clouds lifted--and the sun almost came out--as we ate lunch and had some tea at Inspiration Point.

Just as we were packing up to return, the clouds returned and it started to snow.

The climb back up the Pohono Trail was stiff, but we made good time back to Stanford Point. We stopped at Meadow Brook to fill up on tea-colored water so we wouldn't have to melt any snow.

The tent had a few inches of snow on it when we returned to camp.

It continued to snow throughout dinner and well into the evening, requiring clearing off snow from the tent every so often. As with the previous evening, I had no problem falling asleep.

We awoke to a nice sunrise.

After another leisurely breakfast (breakfast burritos) we packed up and headed up to Crocker and Dewey Points.

Although the trail had been broken a few days ago, there was a foot or more of fresh snow on it, so we were effectively breaking new trail all the way to Dewey. The sun was out by the time we neared Crocker, and we paused for more views.

After Crocker we made slow but steady progress towards Dewey.

At the high point above Dewey we saw a few flattened tent pads.

At the Dewey mileage sign we officially completed another Trail Quest segment, the Pohono Trail from Inspiration Point to Dewey.

At Dewey itself we saw the first people we had seen since leaving the ski trail to Dewey a few days ago. We were met with a cold wind here so we didn't stay long.

We did of course check out the views--our last ones of the Valley for this trip.

We took the Summit Meadow trail back to Badger, and along the way a light snow fell on us.

Surprisingly, we saw few people in the large meadow north of Summit Meadow.

At Badger our car had several inches of fresh snow on it. We quickly loaded up and climbed into the warm vehicle. It had been a great trip--thanks to JKW and the Great Pink One for making it such a wonderful birthday outing. Even though I somehow ended up with ornaments on my pack...

More Pictures

* As in: "I'm altering the itinerary. Pray I don't alter it further."
December 30, 2015 08:44PM
Excellent! Thanks...for making me jealous!
December 31, 2015 06:54AM
Great report. Thanks for posting it! Makes me jealous.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
December 31, 2015 08:25AM
Nice! I love following along.
January 01, 2016 03:43AM
I'm envious!

Changing topics: in February we're planning to come to California from a galaxy far, far away (ok, only from the other side of the planet, but it's far enough), and have allotted two days midweek for Yosemite. "We" being myself, my wife and three of our kids (two teens and a first-grader). We've been to Yosemite before but never in the winter, so we're looking forward to this. If we're lucky we'll catch the view of the "firefalls" in the west part of the valley.

I assume that snowshoeing or skiing from Badger Pass to Dewey or Crocker would be too ambitious for a six-year-old, but what about snowshoeing up to the Crane Flat lookout? And if it's doable, does anyone know if there are snowshoe rentals at the Crane Flat store? If rentals are only available at Badger Pass, are there any trails originating at Badger Pass which are suitable for our group and that would afford a view of the Clark range?

Thanks in advance for any input...
January 01, 2016 04:23AM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
I'm envious!

Changing topics: in February we're planning to come to California from a galaxy far, far away (ok, only from the other side of the planet, but it's far enough), and have allotted two days midweek for Yosemite. "We" being myself, my wife and three of our kids (two teens and a first-grader). We've been to Yosemite before but never in the winter, so we're looking forward to this. If we're lucky we'll catch the view of the "firefalls" in the west part of the valley.

I assume that snowshoeing or skiing from Badger Pass to Dewey or Crocker would be too ambitious for a six-year-old, but what about snowshoeing up to the Crane Flat lookout? And if it's doable, does anyone know if there are snowshoe rentals at the Crane Flat store? If rentals are only available at Badger Pass, are there any trails originating at Badger Pass which are suitable for our group and that would afford a view of the Clark range?

Here is a link: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wintersports.htm that covers a lot of what you ask. There are maps of the snow trails available from that link also.

Old Dude
January 03, 2016 07:12AM
I

I would recommend either Crane Flat lookout or ... head up to Old Badger Pass along Old Glacier Pt. road...
There are views of Clark Range there... Can do some math if you like... both are uphill a bit... but not
tooooo brutal... Dewey is prolly too far and such for 6 yr old... me thinks...
Will try to post pix of the view from Old GP Rd. later...
Ask at the A-Frame about this if you need ... but you park at Badger Pass... if that wasn't clear. smiling smiley
Have fun!

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 05, 2016 08:21AM
Breathtakingly-beautiful winter panoramas Mr. Chick-on, 'thank you for sharon' (as you would say). Wish I was there.
Your signature at the bottom of your posts “Picasa Pictures”, I have tried that link/address on several browsers, but I get nothing, not available. Is it kaput/kaplooie?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2016 08:28AM by PineCone.
January 05, 2016 08:31AM
Let's give cred to z perret...
I like to read his TRs... and then faux toe bomb dem...

tongue sticking out smiley

I edited signature... try again

or this:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103089501068510688008

January 05, 2016 08:43AM
Ah that's better, link works fine now, thank you.
Yes, I'm sorry, I did not intend to disrespect the OP Mr. Bop (or his good lady Mrs. Walking), beautiful photos from him/them as well.
Now then, who is that hep cat looking-dude in their photos in those stylin' mirrored blue sunglasses? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2016 08:43AM by PineCone.
January 07, 2016 06:37AM
Geezer,
maybe I was too blunt? hard to tell how come off on a forum like this at times.
I'll babble and you can take it from there. imo it's best to reply... and then
it will continue the conversation. Or maybe waiting for a picture... I only took
zoom shots from "Old Badger Pass Summit"... and pix of the signs on the
way there... both
Crane Flat Lookout and
Old Badger Pass Summit
are about the same distance... about 1 mile... ish... one way...
should be doable for a six year old... Crane Flat has superior views of
the park ... imo... by far... you can see Diablo Range and ... the park
and obviously beyond... including Tower Peak, Clark Range...
although you cannot see Mt. Conness ... which is visible from O BP Summit.
Old Badger Pass Summit will be groomed ... whereas CF
will be broken by others... which can vary greatly...
Anywho... hope you have a nice trip
Regards,

January 11, 2016 08:06AM
Ok, Geezer... had pleasure of hiking both Old Bager Pass Summit two weekends ago
and Crane Flat Lookout last weekend... with JKW... and we talked on way up to
Crane... and both agreed soundly that Badger is w/o question better to take a 6
year old... there is a tubing area right there... and the trail is groomed ... and there is
more to "see" ... than Crane Flat Lookout trail...
If there is snow in the valley... you may went to just play there... all depends how
much time you have...
Have fun

February 24, 2016 06:16PM
Thanks to all who responded, in the end the we all got a view of the Clark range on a ranger-led snowshoe walk at Badger Pass on Monday. The next day while two of the kids were learning how to ski -- something they had vehemently said they weren't interested in doing prior to our arrival in Yosemite and something they didn't want to stop doing once they started to get the hang of it -- I did the short loop along Glacier Point Road, across the meadow and back Badger, with a detour to the top of the hill to get a *better* view of the Clark range before lunching with the rest of the family and watching the second round of ski lessons. Not the kind of trip that typically gets reported on this site, but as a family trip for less than 36 hours in Yosemite it was fantastic: the kids got to play in the snow, something they'll never get to do at home; we got to see the firefalls on Monday afternoon; all of the Valley's waterfalls were in action (and we rainbows in the mist at two of them). Plus Monday night after the full moon rose and the rest of the family went to sleep I had the viewpoint near the lower Yosemite falls (the one where you see both the upper and lower falls) all to myself. Try that in the summertime.
February 24, 2016 06:29PM
Thanks to all who responded. Not the kind of trip that typically gets reported on this site.

You are welcome. The family-having-fun-the-whole-time are the best ones, especially if the kids get turned on by the experience.

Thanks for posting your trip report.

Old Dude
January 03, 2016 07:08AM
Alwayz fun... !!!

You don't have the req amt of flair on ur pack tho

don't worreee.... you weren't the only suspect

tanks fur busting ... (it's hard wurk!)

tree others of mine:

Z dynamic duo on Dewey

Happy Birthday / New Year!
(have a fun time on your way home... )
smiling smiley

(ya ya... you got me by 1 day and 1 night already this year... sigh)

January 05, 2016 11:27AM
Jeez, I leave for three weeks and my cup runneth over with delightful TRs. I don't want to comment on each one so as to spam up the joint, so I'll just pop in and say thanks to basilbop, chick-on, and JKW, especially for this one here. Even if my Cal degree makes me wince at the title, these photos are uniformly spectacular.

You guys are the best.
January 05, 2016 11:30AM
January 08, 2016 07:43AM
wow thanks for sharing! I might try my first short winter back pack. I have thought of doing this exact one but first I have seen pics. looks amazing.
January 08, 2016 11:41AM
1-800-beat-cal tongue sticking out smiley

Fun winter photos to look at.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login