Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Gaiters for small calves and big feet?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Gaiters for small calves and big feet?
January 16, 2016 02:22PM
Hello Folks!

Been trying to find a pair of knee gaiters (for snow) that would work for small calves and sz10.5 shoes. Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried a few at the local rei and found that most of the sz Medium-Large gaiters (I guess they measure by boot size) didn't fit around the calves. They only had M-XL though and a bit hesitant to order size small without prior fitting.

Thanks!
Kevin
January 19, 2016 10:09AM
Chick-on got them first, but we all quickly ended up with them..

Mountain Laurel Light Snow Gaitors (sic)

The biggest issue is making sure you get it big enough to slide over your calf (at least this was our issue). The top has a cord lock on a bungee and can secure down tot he tiniest of calves. The tube is a fixed diameter, so it has to be big enough for calf plus clothing.

I use a size Medium and it's *just* large enough to go over my calf and my winter hiking pant and rain paint. I'm 5'5" and my shoe size is 7.5 to 8, depending on brand.

The guys have size Large and Basilbop's shoe size is 11.5. and Chick-on is 9.5, so 10.5 should be fine.

The gaiters are awesome and have worked well for us as we've been plowing our way through a lot of snow! The only minor nit I have is that the clip to attach to the shoe lace is kinda hard for me to remove at the end of the day on thicker laces. But it's solid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2016 10:11AM by JustKeepWalking.
January 27, 2016 11:06PM
JKW,

Just ordered a pair! Thanks for the recommendation! Can't wait to try em out!

-Kevin
January 31, 2016 05:59PM
Yay! Hope u like them!
February 05, 2016 10:17PM
They came in!

Yea...I can see the hook being a bit difficult to put on and off in the cold but so far I'm liking them!
February 08, 2016 07:16PM
So, we noticed we have small snags/holes in instep area of gaiters. We r patching with Tenacious black fabric tape. Should be ok! Might want to reinforce yours before issues arise.

Absolutely love the gaiters! Been using basically every day we r out there!
February 08, 2016 08:03PM
When you say instep area do you mean the area around there the instep loop ties too? I know some folks have reinforced this area by taping the insides
February 09, 2016 07:59PM
The area on inside of leg. Around the ankle bone for me, bit above, sometimes my snowshoe scrapes the gaiter. No major gash or anything.

Bit of black fabric tenacious tape to prevent boo boos will hopefully help. This is lightweight gear and needs to be treated accordingly, but breathes so well, weighs nothing, feels great and works beautifully. Have used in range of conditions from deep fresh snow to rain now. Yay!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login