Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Any interests in a group meet up?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Any interests in a group meet up?
February 05, 2016 07:20PM
Hey Folks!

Was wondering if any of you folks were interested in doing a meet-up event like how the High Sierra Topix forum does? Basically they set a certain location that is somewhere in the backcountry of the high sierra for a meet up for the day. Anyone whose interested can use their own way of getting to that point.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13203&sid=f3ad9e372ba9ab51b7c1111949cebf62

-Kevin
avatar Re: Any interests in a group meet up?
February 24, 2016 07:04AM
Top o Clouds Rest (or thereof) Friday?

smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 24, 2016 08:19AM
Will give it my best shot! Yikes!
February 24, 2016 04:20PM
I'll be content with reaching one of the fractional domes below Clouds Rest (Quarter, Eight, Sixteenth).

When is the Loch Tablae meet-up? And does everyone who attends get one of the infamous limited-edition Chick-on t-shirts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2016 04:21PM by basilbop.
February 29, 2016 07:37AM
Kinda a bummer JKW fell ill on the way up...

Bearpoof and I continued on... she was with us in spirit..
smiling smiley

he purty much ran up the hill

Please be safe... the summit is not trivial...

February 29, 2016 12:18PM
Pretty good pose there, Chick-on. Does kinda remind me of JKW.
February 29, 2016 01:33PM
The Other Tom

That's Steve (Bearpoof) not me..
I have a REALLY good one of them (JKW and Bearpoof) posing... hehehe
I prolly get into trubble if I post tho...

Grinning Devil

March 02, 2016 02:32AM
chick-on
I prolly get into trubble if I post tho...

When did that ever stop you?
February 29, 2016 01:38PM
I think Bearproof's pose is better than mine!

Yah, I am thankful guys were nice to me... I came down with bad cold or something... Fever, (including nasty chills), very sore throat and awful cough. Bummed I missed CR. Someday in winter!

But if ur gonna be sick... Wasn't a bad place to be! Weather smiled on us, so very pleasant resting in tent while the others played!
February 29, 2016 09:03PM
The Other Tom

Strike a pose.... vogue...

tongue sticking out smiley

March 01, 2016 10:58AM
What a couple of posers...

So here are JKW and Chickon...I think that might be his "Blue Steel" face

(actually Chickon says its yellow steel...JKW says orange steel)

And a tele shot of some dude trying to get up the cables on Half Dome...uh, no thanks!
March 01, 2016 11:20AM
ohhh boy, that person probably made it up/down the cables safely. But this is how to get an entry into that "Death" book. All it takes is one split second, and it's forever darkness.
February 29, 2016 02:50PM
Nice! How was the trip? Did you guys just do and out and back? The temperatures lately seem to be nice if the forecast is true. I'll be heading out there in late March and hope the snow isn't too slushy!
February 29, 2016 09:08PM
KevinD
Nice! How was the trip? Did you guys just do and out and back? The temperatures lately seem to be nice if the forecast is true. I'll be heading out there in late March and hope the snow isn't too slushy!

It has been incredibly nice the past 3 weekends+ ... pretty much been spring...
The snow has either been very consolidated... (Merced Crest and Clouds Rest trips) or non-existent (Hetch Hetchy trip)...
After January with busting trail in feet of snow... it's been pretty simple...

For this trip we based in LYV area and day-hiked Clouds Rest... and then goofed around around Lost area...

So just out and back... Clouds was fun...

but very knife edgy on top...

so much had melted in the past few weeks.... we were just having a lot of fun in the conditions...

(yes, that's the trail visible below the western Pinnacle)

Have fun

February 29, 2016 10:10PM
Thanks for the update! The western pinnacle trail area seems safe to do! Might go up that why. Haven't decided if I want to go further or just relax at cr for a few days and head back. All really depends on the conditions
March 01, 2016 10:23AM
KevinD
Thanks for the update! The western pinnacle trail area seems safe to do! Might go up that why. Haven't decided if I want to go further or just relax at cr for a few days and head back. All really depends on the conditions

The western pinnacle traverse is very steep and has an Avy zone...
Some chunks fell down while we were going up CR... and saw them
on the way back down... we only followed the trail down in hopes
that could do it again the next day with JKW and Basilblop.

have fun whatever you decide to do

by steep... I mean the traverse is not flat anymore due to the slope
of the hill on which it lies... and the trail may be entirely covered in snow...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 10:25AM by chick-on.
February 24, 2016 04:07PM
The HST meetups have all been to difficult to reach multi day to remote off trail locations with loose minimal organized structure beyond a tentative meeting locale. Thus those attending often start, meet, and leave on different dates using different trailheads. The result is partial meet ups and or some missing the others, with not a lot of actual time together. There really hasn't been planned pre-trip activities beyond getting to a destination and then everyone does their own thing whether that be peakbagging, exploring, loafing, or fishing. In a sense those meetups are more like some peakbagging challenge than a social gathering. And tends to attract attendies that are more into ultralight backpacking and racking up lots of miles.

Those attending have not complained and are apparently content as that runs. Not at all surprising considering the difficulty of reaching targets, the logistics of most traveling hundreds of miles to trailheads, everyones complex personal lives including usual career time off issues, and the diverse interests of mountain activities of those attending. In any case the notion of that kind of get together does not hold much interest to this person.

I would be interested in attending something short like a weekend, where people are more synced to start at a trailhead, to an easy to drive to then easy to hike to destination where there can be interesting things to do, and not in prime backpacking season but rather early season that could also work as a warm up trip, and to a destination that won't be crimped by wilderness permit quota issues. Heck I'd be fine leading some as a Friday evening night hike in.

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2016 04:11PM by DavidSenesac.
February 24, 2016 04:50PM
DavidSenesac
The HST meetups have all been to difficult to reach multi day to remote off trail locations with loose minimal organized structure beyond a tentative meeting locale. Thus those attending often start, meet, and leave on different dates using different trailheads. The result is partial meet ups and or some missing the others, with not a lot of actual time together. There really hasn't been planned pre-trip activities beyond getting to a destination and then everyone does their own thing whether that be peakbagging, exploring, loafing, or fishing. In a sense those meetups are more like some peakbagging challenge than a social gathering. And tends to attract attendies that are more into ultralight backpacking and racking up lots of miles.

Those attending have not complained and are apparently content as that runs. Not at all surprising considering the difficulty of reaching targets, the logistics of most traveling hundreds of miles to trailheads, everyones complex personal lives including usual career time off issues, and the diverse interests of mountain activities of those attending. In any case the notion of that kind of get together does not hold much interest to this person.

I would be interested in attending something short like a weekend, where people are more synced to start at a trailhead, to an easy to drive to then easy to hike to destination where there can be interesting things to do, and not in prime backpacking season but rather early season that could also work as a warm up trip, and to a destination that won't be crimped by wilderness permit quota issues. Heck I'd be fine leading some as a Friday evening night hike in.

I like this idea! A backcountry cook off would be nice too! Just now mastering my trail pizza and would like some inputs!

Thanks for the insights regarding the HST meet up. Doesn't sound like its my cup of tea!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login