Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: TR: Dewey Point (Jan 23-24 2015)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

TR: Dewey Point (Jan 23-24 2015)
February 11, 2016 09:01AM
Hello. I went on an overnight trip to Dewey Point out of the Badger Pass Ski Area on 01/23-24. The weather forecast called for showers and snow on Saturday. However, both Saturday and Sunday were perfect days to be outdoors. It was overcast at Badger Pass with some light snow falling intermittently.

Badger Pass Ski Area

We headed off on Glacier Point road towards the #18 TH.

On Glacier Point road toward TH #18

TH #18

Once on the trail, the temps through the day were in the 50s, the sky was blue, and the sun was shining. There was a visible dip in the snow where the trail had been traveled, and then covered again in fresh powder. We had to break trail for most of the day, but it was fun and exciting to enjoy the fresh fields of snow along with the solitude, and sounds of snow clumps falling off the tree branches.

Meadow along the way

About a mile or so from Dewey Point, we began to see the Yosemite high country through the trees.

Yosemite peaks through the trees

I backpacked through Dewey Point in February of 2015, but the views this time around I think were more astounding with the surrounding peaks covered in snow.

El Capitan

El Capitan, Bridalveil Falls

Crocker Point

I took couple of night photos from Dewey Point. There was a full moon on this weekend, but the sky was overcast for most of the early night. Now and then, the clouds would break, the moon would shine through, and reflect off the snow and granite and illuminate the landscape.

I tend prepare all my gear ahead of time, but Friday night I found myself rushing to pack. I ended up putting a 1.6x cropped lens on my full-frame DSLR camera. On the first photos I took, I noticed a black circle in my pictures, like looking through a telescope. It took me a while to realize my mistake with the lens. But it looked like a nice effect in some of the photos.

At Dewey Point

At Dewey Point at night

Yosemite view looking east from Dewey Point

A couple of more photos from the early morning. The moon was just setting when the sun was rising.

Moon setting

Sunrise

Yosemite view

TH14

We were the first group to arrive at Dewey Point for camping. By late afternoon, there were about 50 people camped along the rim. I had thought the weather forecast would have kept many people at home. Nonetheless, it was a fun trip.

I want to say thanks to those who had posted information about Dewey Point; it helped me with planning. Also, thanks to everyone who posts photos of their trips. It gives me ideas and keeps me busy planning new routes to explore.

Enjoy!
February 11, 2016 10:10AM
Words fail to describe the beauty of these pictures. Spectacular work.

Apparently, more than 17 feet have fallen in parts of Yosemite.
The place was due.
February 11, 2016 10:34AM
50 people!? Dang! When I went to Crocker a few weeks there were only about 2-3 other tents haha.
Glad you had fun out there!

-Kevin
February 11, 2016 12:09PM
Great pictures. Thanks for posting. Love the one with the moon going down.
February 11, 2016 02:56PM
pakoR
We were the first group to arrive at Dewey Point for camping. By late afternoon, there were about 50 people camped along the rim. I had thought the weather forecast would have kept many people at home. Nonetheless, it was a fun trip.
Enjoy!

Thanks for the post and the pics, this is awesome! Heading there Saturday morning and bummed to here about the 50 people no, stop, enough! . Hope to get some solitude and hoping that our group can push through a bit farther smiling smiley. Will keep posted. Great shot of moon setting and El Cap.
avatar Re: TR: Dewey Point (Jan 23-24 2015)
February 12, 2016 10:39AM
That looks like a fantastic time! Awesome photos too. Thanks for taking the time to post a trip report.
February 23, 2016 02:11PM
Thank u for posting!!

Lovely shots! Lots of memories brought back..

Wow! 50 peeps.. Well, we were lucky on our trips out along the Pohono earlier this winter. Saw very few people outside of Badger and on Dewey, when we actually went there.

I've heard horror stories in past. 200 peeps at Dewey on Presidents Day weekend back a few years ago, iirc. My memory is wonky on stuff like this, but I recall the Badger folks saying it was a zoo. We had stayed in the Glacier Point/Sentinel area that same weekend and had no one camped anywhere near us. Loved it.
February 24, 2016 07:02AM
On pres day this year... Saturday... they were turning people away... the lot was full..
and you had to go back down to the valley and take shuttle back up.
I dunno what they did about the overnighters though... we were able to get there
early enough to get a spot... and saw NO ONE on the Old Badger Pass summit
trail... and ONE person until the next day when saw peeps on Ostrander below.
Didn't run into anyone until 3rd day at Ostrander Lake.
Anywho... Summit meadow on way out was BOMBED.
It had to have been nuts ... but am sure people had a lot of fun... the snow
was nice and compacted and it was fairly simple to make good distance and time.

Since I bide by... you went and you took no pictures?
Here one is:

ok two... just for you...

(wish you could see Matthes from somewhere in the park)

fine... three:

Chick-on is looking at you!

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 24, 2016 08:21AM
Love the pics!!!
February 23, 2016 07:02PM
Nice trip report! Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login