All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mirror->Snow Creek over nighter in March
February 11, 2016 06:52PM
Wanted to get thoughts on heading up snow creek trail and camping on the rim the first weekend of March. I know things can change from day to day but curious of typical conditions around that time and any thoughts on current/projected conditions based on the amount of snowfall this year. I will in the bay area that weekend with a rental car and time to spare. I have done this trail before but it was in May (snowed then too) smiling smiley
avatar Re: Mirror->Snow Creek over nighter in March
February 24, 2016 06:57AM
Typical you can hike all the way to the top without need to anything but your feets.
Actually this is what even the skiers will do... they will posthole away to the top
if needed... but typically the trail will be pretty clear. If you are really unlucky
(or lucky depending on how you look at it) you will be the first after a storm and
have to bust the trail ...
Once on the rim... expect loads of snow. Kinda a BOOM! SNOW!
Don't be fooled by the lack of snow below... Have done this before...
didn't bring snowshoes... and really wished had... was still able to posthole to
campspot... but was kicking myself.. and Z wife was OK with it but said same.
Anywho... you can spy the top with the Sentinel Dome webcam a bit above the
Conservancy logo. Right now it looks like there is still loads of snow holding.

It's pretty consolidated at the moment... but ... as day progresses...

Sorry... will stop there.

Have fun and hope this helps

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Mirror->Snow Creek over nighter in March
February 24, 2016 08:30AM
Wow! Coincidence? Basilbop and I were just recounting our first backpacking trip on last weekend's backpacking trip... It was north rim traverse on Memorial Day years ago. 105 degrees on Snow Creek switchbacks up. About 1/4 mile heading into trees at top, 40 degrees and feet of snow and lots of postholing! Grrr.

Did a few more times, snowshoes made all the difference!

This time of year, with snow we have had, I'd definitely carry snowshoes up. Maybe add Kahtoolas for transitional zones.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login