Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Below the Interesting Part

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Below the Interesting Part
March 14, 2016 08:40PM
Despite pessimistic weather forecasts late into the week, we decided to take advantage of a brief break in the weather Saturday to check out some new territory and check off some Trail Quest mileage. In fact, the forecast had been wrong with respect to the snow line--it had called for a comparatively warm storm, but the snow level dropped to about 3500' late Friday evening. This wasn't a problem in terms of our low-elevation itinerary; however, there was some confusion as to the status of the Hetch Hetchy road. When we called from Oakdale it was open with no restrictions, but when we arrived at Mather, the gates were closed. We had to cool our heels a bit at the entrance station while the plow drove up from Moccasin.

This gave us a chance to check off the short Lookout Point trail, which was quite lovely with a fresh covering of snow.

From the top we had great views all around, and when the sun wasn't blocked by clouds the air was warm.

Just as we were leaving the point, we could see and hear the plow clearing the road near Poopenaut Pass. We changed our plans a bit: we would head to check out some mystery trail signs near the Canyon Ranch area, then JKW and I would finish a segment of the old Hetch Hetchy trail while the pink bird flew back to get the car.

Unfortunately, half a foot of snow, two major fires, and century-old logging operations made it impossible to find any signs of the trail that intersected our slightly more obvious route and at one time had headed down across Poopenaut Valley to "McGill Meadow" and Lake Eleanor.

There is of course no reason for such a trail to exist today, but it was built before the Hetch Hetchy Railroad and Lake Eleanor Roads provided a more motorized way of traveling from Hog Ranch/Mather to Lake Eleanor.

We were able to follow the still-maintained trail to a second "mystery" junction--one that provided access to the Smith Meadow trail higher up--across an open, snow-covered flat.

After leaving the Canyon Ranch area, the trail climbed a bit onto rocky ledges, providing views of Hetch Hetchy and Tueeulala Falls in the distance, and Poopenaut Valley below us.

Just before the trail reaches the Smith Meadow trailhead, it crosses a nice creek below some pretty cascades.

Just past these falls were some remains of an old work camp that was used in constructing the road and railroad that replaced the trail we had followed.

While the modern trail drops to a small parking lot near the creek, the old trail continues towards Hetch Hetchy. It is washed out in places...

...and obscured by brush in others, but we were able to follow it mostly to the next small creek, where it appeared to intersect with the road/railroad bed.

JKW had stayed back at the car and was quickly consuming our lunch, and we still had one more trail to hike, so we had to leave more century-old trail rediscovery work for another day.

Since we knew another storm was coming in Saturday night, our destination was a low-elevation one: Poopenaut Valley.

The trail into the valley is as advertised: steep and surrounded by poison oak. Despite the dampness, the trail had good traction. The valley itself had been mostly spared from the Rim fire, but a recent sign indicated that there was no desire for another flare-up:

A pile of rocks was possibly the only sign of an old cabin built by Mr. Marshner over 100 years ago.

Compared to the congestion of Yosemite Valley and the civil engineering works of its nearby sister valley, Poopenaut Valley was very peaceful and quiet. The road we had left was high above us, barely visible and silent, and we were surrounded by open meadows and tall trees. The waters of the Tuolumne that were not diverted upstream were deep and calm.

It doesn't have the majestic waterfalls of Yosemite or Hetch Hetchy, but we were able to catch glimpses of a substantial seasonal fall just below the valley in a gorge that few have probably even seen, and even fewer visited.

Despite the threats of rain, we were able to get camp set up without getting wet.

The evening was quite mild, and we even got a glimpse of sun before final sunset. There were surprisingly a few mosquitoes out, but they didn't seem to be biting--yet.

The rain had started around maybe midnight and was still falling when we woke up the next morning. We were in no real rush so enjoyed pancakes and bacon for breakfast before packing and heading out.

The warm rain was melting yesterday's snow, and the small seasonal streams were even higher than they had been the previous day.

On the way out, we crossed the faint depression of the "official" trail, which we followed to the water's edge...

...then back up all the way to the car, being careful not to slip or rub up against any of the poison oak. On the way up I was grateful it wasn't hot and sunny--I was sweating enough in the cool rain while trudging up the trail.

The trail to Poopenaut Valley could certainly use a switchback or two (several, in fact...), but perhaps its lack of any real development over the past century isn't a bad thing.

On the drive out, we could see several seasonal cascades flowing into the gorge below Poopenaut Valley.

Perhaps it was the weather, lack of crowds, lack of bugs, or just the scenery, but I found Poopenaut to be quite interesting--at least off-season.

More Pictures
Re: Below the Interesting Part
March 14, 2016 09:21PM
Thanks for posting this! I've always wondered about the Poopenaut Trail, or hiking up from the Preston Falls trail and then out through Poopenaut. But in summer, that area can be an oven.

And thanks for the warning about the poison oak. Worst case I ever got was in winter...when you couldn't what those bare sticks were...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
March 14, 2016 11:12PM
Wow looks great! Seems like a nice area to do when its not too warm yet and when the bugs bite!

Thanks for sharing!

-Kevin
avatar Re: Below the Interesting Part
March 15, 2016 06:51AM
Yeah, being the optimist I really had to get out... I mean it was hiking in the mountains
or staying home and doing taxes... on a Saturday. Ain't no birdee got time fir dat.
Seriously (when am I serious?) I am really putting this one in the "I got vadered" ...
Somehow my Preston Falls dayhike and 45 Marker hunt turned into an overnight
and Trail Quest dealie. It's always fun though and thanks for the company and
for the ranger at Evergreen Lodge to be kind enough to open the gate early for us.
We made oranganaid outta yellows.

Anywho. Here's old thread on Poopenaut and the Gorge...
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,41914,49637#msg-49637
(boatable) smiling smiley

Although more interesting perhaps is this differing views of Poopenaut:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,41914,49708#msg-49708

Or to put it here:

I will let you do the math on where we camped. (house boat anyone?)

And from the Chick-on archives... when "found" the old Poopenaut trail on the other side:

From this trip... just the usual fun and exploring... def boatable:

Of course you are missing a bunch of trips between El Cap and this one.
If I didn't no butter I would think you need to get out smores:

Though maybe you auditioning...
[video]

Having fun,
Chick-on is looking at you!

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 15, 2016 11:08AM
Thanks for the trip report. I have always wondered what it looked like in Poopenault. Always been one of those things of "We will do that another time" and never have.
March 15, 2016 11:21AM
parklover
Thanks for the trip report. I have always wondered what it looked like in Poopenault. Always been one of those things of "We will do that another time" and never have.

I hear you, Parklover! Basilbop and I have done the "another time" thing for so very long! Finally went down! (Thanks to Chick-on and his Trail Quest bug and knowledge of good times to go...)

Between Schaffer's comments and other things and bugs and whatnot... And "only" 1 mile.. Well, it never happened. But the conditions were perfect, imo. Just magical. Very idyllic. Waterfall! Owl hooting at night. So comfortable. Know it would not be same once bugs got going! Surprised me to see mosquitoes at all!!! I had one scare with big fuzzy spider... But hey. No bites. It left us alone, we left it alone. And lots of PO dodging... That was nerve-wracking...

But my kind of steep trail! Perfect for baby-steps! But no lie, it *is* steep!
March 16, 2016 05:10PM
JustKeepWalking
parklover

I hear you, Parklover! Basilbop and I have done the "another time" thing for so very long! Finally went down! (Thanks to Chick-on and his Trail Quest bug and knowledge of good times to go...)

Between Schaffer's comments and other things and bugs and whatnot... And "only" 1 mile.. Well, it never happened. But the conditions were perfect, imo. Just magical. Very idyllic. Waterfall! Owl hooting at night. So comfortable. Know it would not be same once bugs got going! Surprised me to see mosquitoes at all!!! I had one scare with big fuzzy spider... But hey. No bites. It left us alone, we left it alone. And lots of PO dodging... That was nerve-wracking...

But my kind of steep trail! Perfect for baby-steps! But no lie, it *is* steep!
I regret this one since my knee is now too bad to do the steep up and down part of the trail. It sounds like a special place except for the fuzzy spider.
August 31, 2017 06:00PM
Hi basilbop, thanks for the post about Poopenaut

I work at a newspaper in Sonora, Tuolumne County

Can you call me in the newsroom when you get time?

Guy 209 588-4585
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login