All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Rancheria Falls overnighter 3/19-3/20
March 21, 2016 02:44PM

Headed out to Hetch Hetchy over the weekend. Took the advice I got from you guys and went out towards the Camp area in the Cedars at Rancheria Creek. Weather ended up being great and the camp area had plenty of great hammock trees as well. All the Creeks and Falls were running and the trail on the way out was pretty soggy in areas. Even so with a little bit of effort it was easy enough to keep from getting wet even when crossing Tueeulala and Wapama Falls. Snow was only visible on the highest peaks around the lake. After reaching camp on Saturday afternoon I setup the hammock and dropped my pack and then took off up the trail to summit Le Conte Point. The trail was steep and the climb was real but the views from the point turned out to be well worth the effort involved. The rest of the trip turned out to be fairly uneventful with us sitting around camp enjoying the temperatures and then packing up and heading out the next morning after a good breakfast of Blueberry Pancakes.

For anyone who would like to take a look at the Photo report of the entire trip Heres a link to the album.
avatar Re: Rancheria Falls overnighter 3/19-3/20
March 21, 2016 04:31PM
Cool. We wuz der a few weekends ago.

Curious why no pictures of Rancheria Falls proper? It was just upstream of ur campsite.

Glad you had fun.

Tanks for Sharon
Chick-on is looking at you!

(hope u not get any Poison Oak on you... )

Re: Rancheria Falls overnighter 3/19-3/20
March 21, 2016 06:31PM
When you say rancheria Falls proper that must be above the bridge then? Or is that the cascade that comes out just below the bridge? Didn't end up venturing past the bridge uphill. I spent what extra time there was on saturday hiking up to Le conte and then on sunday the friends I was with wanted to get up and head out because of the gate closing at 5 and having to get up for work Monday morning so didn't do any extra wandering around sunday sadly. Basically all I got to see of Rancheria was From the very wide and thin water slide area that you can see from the trail up to just above the bridge. Let me know what I missed. Probably gonna end up going back that way sometime soon with a few other people who have never seen the area.

Lots more poison oak out there then I would have guessed. Thankfully I don't seem to really ever get it.
March 21, 2016 08:30PM
This is Rancheria Falls afaik...

I have others of it... but this gives you the idea.

If you hiked up the creek from the campsite area to the bridge... (which is fun btw) ...
then you saw this... with more water... smiling smiley

March 21, 2016 09:10PM

In April of 09, I think...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
March 21, 2016 10:33PM
Ah yeah thats just up river from where we filtered water. Didn't have the phone on me at the time so thats why no pictures. Great falls though, the sound of it from the campsite was so very nice to go to sleep and to wake up to.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 08:23PM by randomsteve95370.
March 22, 2016 06:52AM
Okie. Cool!

Looked thru your faux toes and no see... thus the question.

Next time maybe go explore udder way and get a nice view of Tiltill Valley....

Or head to Loch Tablae for the ultimate Yosemite Experience
Grinning Devil

March 22, 2016 08:09PM
Would love to do a Vernon lake loop trip sometime before it gets to hot/dry/busy and would def want to check out Tiltill as well because I have never been out that way at all. I tend to do all my backpacking in the Emigrant because my best hiking buddy is banned from the entire Yosemite area sadly. I do want to see some more of it though. You'll have to point me towards some information on this mysterious Loch Tablae you speak of.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 08:19PM by randomsteve95370.
May 13, 2016 10:54AM
Without getting too personal or detailed, how does one get "banned from Yosemite"? How is that enforced? There is no requirement to show government-issued ID AFAIK - other than the person in possession of the wilderness permit? Is that incorrect?
March 30, 2016 07:10PM
With all the soggy patches, did you run into any skeeters??
April 01, 2016 02:22AM
I haven't been out that way yet this yeat, but I would imagine it's pretty early for mosquitoes. I was at Vernon at just about this time last year and there were no mosquitoes at all.
April 07, 2016 10:22PM
Hey hadn't checked the forums for a little bit. Anyway, for this trip we just hit Rancheria and back but even will all the water along the way there were little to no mosquitoes out there at all. Even though its been fairly warm at night we have been in a nice little routine of hitting freezing temps for a night or 2 every few weeks and thats help so far with the bugs but its not gonna last long.
May 13, 2016 12:37PM
Thanks for the TR and photos.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login