Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Any word on Sierra Design bags?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Any word on Sierra Design bags?
April 13, 2016 09:11PM
Hey Folks!

Well its that time of the year ! Gear upgrades ! The misses needs a new 3ish season bag and I was looking at the Sierra Designs Eleanor 700 30 bag.
https://sierradesigns.com/eleanor-plus-700-2-season/

Anyone have any experience with Sierra Designs? I generally am a marmot fan but they dont have in stock the right temps I'm looking for (30F). It seems a tad bit heavier (2lbs 5 oz) than other bag offerings from WM and FF but...I can't afford those ...especially after buying a bunch of nice 0 degree bags haha

Thanks,
Kevin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2016 09:20PM by KevinD.
avatar Re: Any word on Sierra Design bags?
April 14, 2016 10:17AM
Sorry Kevin,
I only have Montbell and WM bags.

My advice in this realm is simply... if you are avid... then buy the best.
If only a few times a year... then .. doesn't matter so much...

Of course... if you are avid... you may end up buying that new car
every few years anyway. smiling smiley
(you got me looking at WM 30-ish bags) smiling smiley
Prolly won't bite though. I am happy with my Montbell 25.
Well... other than the color... It's yellow

smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 14, 2016 01:11PM
Yea I wanted to go all out on this bag since it will be the most used. Was looking at the Montbell Hugger 800 bags. They look pretty good but I couldn't find one with a comfort rating of 30. I'd like a 30 since we intend to use this bag down to maybe 25 (w/extra layers on). Anything lower, then we would switch to our 0 bags. The only Montbell 800s I found were either EN 23 or 40 sad smiley Are they optimistic ratings?

If anything, I can wait for Marmot to restock the Hydrogen. Though the yellow color....

Thanks!
Kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2016 01:15PM by KevinD.
April 14, 2016 02:51PM
Montbell has a 30.. I have one of those... I bought a Sea to Summit liner for it
after I froze my dingleballs near Mt. Conness one summer eve-ish.
smiling smiley

(some would say I have too many sleepy bags)

April 14, 2016 04:50PM
chick-on

...and some say he drags his dingleballs through manzanita and chinquapin for fun, and that he invented sat nav just to run Maplets. All we know is he's called the Chick-On.
April 14, 2016 05:33PM
eye popping smiley and to think I was going to ask him if he wanted to part ways with one of his bags..
April 14, 2016 05:42PM
basilbop
chick-on

...and some say he drags his dingleballs through manzanita and chinquapin for fun, and that he invented sat nav just to run Maplets. All we know is he's called the Chick-On.

Hey, good news!! There's another version of Maplets out!

(I will be pleasantly impressed if someone here gets these references... Anyone???)
April 14, 2016 09:30PM
What's a Maplet?

Old Dude
April 15, 2016 01:22AM
Never heard of it. Sounds like something for the 27 and unders.
I should probably check it out.

(I will be pleasantly impressed if someone here gets these references... Anyone???)

April 15, 2016 01:29PM
JustKeepWalking
basilbop
chick-on

Hey, good news!! There's another version of Maplets out!

Was just a watching an episode of said-referenced show last night (re-runs, of course, since Jeremy is now barred from a certain broadcasting company!).

And the comparison is pretty apt...even more-so if we can get Dale to wear the appropriate helmet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2016 01:29PM by DavidK42.
April 18, 2016 03:03PM
Since you guys go all the time, do you recommend using any sort of zipper lubricant on the bags? I saw that Gear Aid has one that resists dirt and thought it might be useful.
April 18, 2016 03:20PM
Most, if not all, modern bags have synthetic zippers with large teeth which tend to not hold dirt. I would stay away from lubes. I've never used any on my bags.

Old Dude
April 18, 2016 05:30PM
There's no YKK Jelly?

April 18, 2016 09:22PM
KevinD
Since you guys go all the time, do you recommend using any sort of zipper lubricant on the bags? I saw that Gear Aid has one that resists dirt and thought it might be useful.

I use a quilt... So no idea on bags..never tolerated a single bag long enough to wear it out.

But maybe that zipper lubricant would have helped my very old Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket's zipper. I'll ask them after I wash and dry the thing (for the first time ever) and send it in for repairs...
April 15, 2016 03:37PM
April 16, 2016 08:10PM
KevinD

I some how missed that one. LOL
April 16, 2016 07:10PM
Quick update. Decided to see what was on Craigslist last night and ended up snatching a nearly "new" 1998 marmot moraine bag for $75!
Old but lofts to 5 to 6 inches

Very happy to find this bargain grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2016 10:59PM by KevinD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login