Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Kibbie Ridge snow left?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Kibbie Ridge snow left?
April 18, 2016 09:50PM
Was thinking about heading out towards kibbie this coming weekend and maybe even hitting up the ridge line and heading out towards the Cherry canyon..... Haven't been out in that neck of the woods in nearly a year so I've got no idea what to expect snow wise. Anyone have a clue? I know i've seen people post snow pack reports and stuff, has one of those been done recently near the Kibbie ridge area? Or really any where around there?
avatar Re: Kibbie Ridge snow left?
April 18, 2016 10:13PM
If you are going by Lookout you will run into snow.
If you go the standard way in... you won't.

I doubt there is much snow by Kibbie now. Not sure the state of Shingle Springs though.
Had to pull out Sven saw last weekend to get thru a FS road. smiling smiley

Take a look at cdec. It has nice interactive map.
http://www.cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecstation/

Typically I would say Kibbie Ridge by Sachse holds snow til Memorial Day...
But there is not much need to say such now... with cdec... just look...
Sachse had 66" of snow on Mar. 31. That much snow didn't melt yet.
End of April... I would say it will be mostly all gone.

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 18, 2016 10:42PM
That is an awesome resource. Keeping that one in the bookmarks for sure. Pretty surprised about how much snow is shown at Sachse (But that just shows how much I know tongue sticking out smiley) , don't know if I feel like hiking through 5ft of snow right now. Might just stick around Kibbie and Eleanor then. You ever explore up the Eleanor creek Chick? I know getting to it is a bit of a pain but I do enjoy the main waterfall.
avatar Re: Kibbie Ridge snow left?
April 19, 2016 10:32AM
Haven't hike up Eleanor Creek at all. Only taken yea old trustee trail boat to the waterfall at the inlet.
That was many years ago ... before digital cameras... and didn't take any pictures... and
I was fishing... and a ranger rode up in his motorboat and prolly thought I was nuts... and I got a
small puncture in the boat ... and had to return to the camp on the north side in a couple o moves.
Have hiked up Kibbie Creek, and Kendrick Creek...
Anywho. Thank you for your TR last year. I remember it... and it left an impression on me.
I will eventually hike around that-a-way. Thanks!

Frog Creek is also worth exploring up-stream... and such... and the old trail...

Have fun!

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 19, 2016 11:35AM
May just have to hit up Eleanor creek then and see how far up we can make it. I've gotten a new mirrorless type DSLR camera now so pictures going forward will not just be from my phone. smiling smiley Scanning over that old trip report 1 thing I noticed I didn't include was that old use trail from Frog creek cabin up to the ridge. The day we explored up frog creek to Laurel we didn't leave laurel lake until 8:30 or something, pitch dark. We knew trying to follow frog creek back to camp in the dark was stupid so we relegated ourselves to taking the only trail there was out the (something like) 8 miles from Laurel out to Miguels meadow and then back to camp. After wandering around in the dark down that trail for a while I saw this little side trail take off down the mountain, couldn't have been any bigger then a deer trail and it headed straight down the mountain but all of a sudden I remembered when I was looking into doing that trip you mentioned some old trail from the cabin there that wasn't on my maps. We ended up taking it and it dropped us, no joke, 5 feet from our campsite. Was so happy you had mentioned that trail to me earlier. saved us a good 6 miles and several hours of hiking in the dark.

Anyway I appreciate the knowledge as always. Trip is still being discussed among everyone whos going so I'm not sure what is going to happen in the end but a hike up Eleanor creek sounds fun to me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login