All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 01, 2016 05:26AM
May 01, 2016 06:50AM
I know that you have those wings.
I know you are a dreamer.
I know that you will never get that high.
Re: I'd rather be...
May 01, 2016 10:50AM
Excellent!! Thank you for posting!!!
May 01, 2016 12:58PM
Were you flying commercial or private ? I've flown over a few times commercial, never got a shot like that. Thanks for posting.
May 01, 2016 01:17PM
The Other Tom
Were you flying commercial or private ? I've flown over a few times commercial, never got a shot like that. Thanks for posting.
My son took a similar shot when he was flying commercial from Seattle to LA. I will have to ask him how he took it.
May 01, 2016 08:44PM
Commercial. I zoomed in... and then cleaned up some with gimp.

Here's another with Tuolumne Meadows in the upper mid-right.
There are many many boatable lakes in the picture...
Smedberg, Benson, Doe, Virginia, Elizabeth, Murdoch, Tallulah... to name a few...
smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 01, 2016 08:45PM
Really cleaned up this one:

smiling smiley

May 01, 2016 09:45PM
Yeah, I just flew home from Spain, and had selected a window seat on the right side of the plane so I could take a similar photo. But when I boarded, they gave me a different seat because the one I had selected was "not functional."

And the seat they gave me was right over the wing. No photo this time. sigh.

Here's what Saddlebag Lake looked liked in November of 2013:

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
May 02, 2016 04:44AM
Another a bit annotated.. so you can get ur bearings...

By I'd rather be...

I'd rather be hiking... down there... than in the midwest...

Starting to have withdrawal symptoms...

May 02, 2016 04:53AM
I hear you.. Seeing these pics... I miss being home...

And these are better than anything we've managed from a plane!
May 02, 2016 05:57AM
Thanks for the annotation. When I see pictures like this I'm amazed at how the ranges look like waves....almost like at the ocean but it's rock instead of water. Makes me wonder how it formed.
Anyway, thanks for the update. In my experience, you have to be lucky/prepared to get pics like this. Window seat, good weather, proper flight path, etc.
I'm also amazed (probably shouldn't be) that most people on the plane don't even notice or care what they're flying over. When I'm over the sierra, which is rare, I want to freeze time and drink it all in.
May 02, 2016 03:05PM
Thanks for all who posted the photos, and amen to The Other Tom's sentiments. I've been fascinated looking out airplane windows since I was a kid, and I love getting the views in the western USA, and I don't understand how people could be more interested in another formulaic bit of Hollywood pablum than seeing the Rockies or the Utah Canyons or the Sierras from 35,000 feet.

A few years ago, on the last night of a several night stay at Tuolumne Meadows, I got up early and went for a walk around the meadow in the dark, and I noticed planes flying along the same east-to-west path at fairly regular intervals. I also noticed several times on flights from Philadelphia or Chicago to the Bay Area that we'd go right over Yosemite (even if you can't identify the peaks or the lakes in the park, Mono Lake is a giveaway as to what's next). Then I discovered this flight tracking site: https://www.flightradar24.com, which shows lots of commercial flights, and it indeed appears that a lot of planes bound for OAK and SFO head right over Tuolumne. I'm booked on a Chicago-SFO flight next month, with a seat on the right side of the plane, and after seeing these photos I'll have my camera at the ready, although I'm not much of a photographer.

Of course, I'm looking forward more to the one day I've got allocated to do some hiking there...
May 02, 2016 08:53PM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
Thanks for all who posted the photos, and amen to The Other Tom's sentiments. I've been fascinated looking out airplane windows since I was a kid, and I love getting the views in the western USA, and I don't understand how people could be more interested in another formulaic bit of Hollywood pablum than seeing the Rockies or the Utah Canyons or the Sierras from 35,000 feet.

A few years ago, on the last night of a several night stay at Tuolumne Meadows, I got up early and went for a walk around the meadow in the dark, and I noticed planes flying along the same east-to-west path at fairly regular intervals. I also noticed several times on flights from Philadelphia or Chicago to the Bay Area that we'd go right over Yosemite (even if you can't identify the peaks or the lakes in the park, Mono Lake is a giveaway as to what's next). Then I discovered this flight tracking site: https://www.flightradar24.com, which shows lots of commercial flights, and it indeed appears that a lot of planes bound for OAK and SFO head right over Tuolumne. I'm booked on a Chicago-SFO flight next month, with a seat on the right side of the plane, and after seeing these photos I'll have my camera at the ready, although I'm not much of a photographer.

Of course, I'm looking forward more to the one day I've got allocated to do some hiking there...

I really liked it decades ago when you flew across country the pilot or copilot would tell you each time you were flying over something interesting. One time the pilot even dip the wing a bit so we could get a better view of the Grand Canyon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 08:53PM by parklover.
June 05, 2016 12:20AM
From my flight in on Friday (got bumped up to first class and moved to the left side of the plane)...and the pilot actually announced that Yosemite Valley would be visible!

The photo appears cloudy b/c...it was a little cloudy...

From a little farther west:
May 04, 2016 08:46AM
Let me see...I've flown on a plane in 1969. 1982, 1991, 2010 and 2014. (Much more when I was young and everyone dressed in church clothes to fly...) Anyway, in March 2010, the flight was Sac to Nashville with stop at Midway. So I was excited that we'd go over Yosemite. Alas, it was too cloudy to see any thing until, what I believe was, Walker Lake. On the way home, the route was Phoenix to Sac and I got to see the Whitney group of peaks.
May 09, 2016 10:38AM
chick-on
Another a bit annotated.. so you can get ur bearings...

Your MS Paint style annotated maps always crack me up (even though you seem very tech savvy otherwise). Great photos, especially the NW quad. Helps to plan early season trips.
May 03, 2016 01:25AM
The view from Turlock?
May 03, 2016 12:31PM
Here's another...

It's all of NW QUAD...

If you look at upper middle ... you can see Dam at Hetchy Hetchy...
(find Kolana) ... then head right...

I have an Over Yosemite book...

Absolutely love this stuff...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login