Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Backpackers Campground

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Backpackers Campground
May 22, 2016 01:12PM
Here's a quickie. (question, that is).... Is a stay in the Valley backpackers campground allowable with a Half Dome permit or just with overnight wilderness permits?
?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2016 01:13PM by troutwild.
avatar Re: Backpackers Campground
May 22, 2016 01:32PM
You need a valid wilderness permit.
May 23, 2016 09:26AM
I have a wilderness permit on Fathers Day weekend, what are the chances that there will be space in the backpackers camp when I arrive?
May 23, 2016 03:33PM
Franklyn
I have a wilderness permit on Fathers Day weekend, what are the chances that there will be space in the backpackers camp when I arrive?
I have never seen the BP camp full...always room for 1 more...somewhere.
FYI, you do not get your own site, or your own bearbox in the Valley BP. There have been nights where every available flat spot will be occupied.
Rangers come through about 6 PM, checking for valid permits. Having backpacking gear is an asset - two-story tents and lawn chairs...not so much.
May 24, 2016 01:57PM
Troutwild,

Be aware the rules changed a year or two back. You used to be able to camp there on the basis you were going to go to the Wilderness Center to try and grab an on the day Wilderness Permit the following day. This was abused so they changed it to so you had to have a valid permit before you could camp. With a WP you can can the night before and the night after your trip.

There are three or four parking spaces for drop off and pick up then you have to park elsewhere which usually means Curry Village, if you are planning to do half Dome try and grab a space at the Happy Isles Trailhead to save your legs on the way down.

Every time I have been there a Ranger has checked every bodies permit even those people who try and avoid the Ranger by hanging out in the rest rooms so don't try and chance it.

If you are after a camping spot try Hogdon Meadows which is right next to the entrance station on 120. This is usually the last one to fill up.
May 25, 2016 07:08AM
Thanks Bilco, I have a friend who's driving out from Texas with a Friday, July 8th Half Dome Permit and nowhere to camp. As often happens, he had no clue as to the popularity of the park and the difficulty in obtaining a campsite reservation. Hodgdon Meadows, like the rest of the reservable campgrounds is reserved to capacity through the summer. With a Wednesday or Thursday "noonish" arrival, perhaps he'll get lucky at Bridalveil, Tamarack Flat etc. then drive into the Valley for his Half Dome hike on Friday.
avatar Re: Backpackers Campground
May 25, 2016 08:57AM
troutwild
Thanks Bilco, I have a friend who's driving out from Texas with a Friday, July 8th Half Dome Permit and nowhere to camp. As often happens, he had no clue as to the popularity of the park and the difficulty in obtaining a campsite reservation. Hodgdon Meadows, like the rest of the reservable campgrounds is reserved to capacity through the summer. With a Wednesday or Thursday "noonish" arrival, perhaps he'll get lucky at Bridalveil, Tamarack Flat etc. then drive into the Valley for his Half Dome hike on Friday.

With a noonish weekday arrival (Wednesday or Thursday) in July, your friend should have no problem finding a campsite at one of the opened first-come/first-served campsites in Yosemite. I would recommend he try Tamarack Flat Campground first, unless he prefers a campground with a water tap.

There should also be a good number of open campsites mid-week in the National Forest campgrounds (Inyo, Stanislaus and Sierra) near Yosemite if he happens to arrive late on Wednesday. (But even with a late arrival on Wednesday, there will probably still be available campsites at a first-come/first-served Yosemite campgrounds).

Give the following phone number to your friend. It's the Yosemite's Campground Status Line that's updated throughout the day in the summer. It will save him time from having to go campground to campground in search for an available campsite on the day he arrives in Yosemite: (209) 372-0266

Leave No Trace
May 25, 2016 09:03AM
Thanks, Plawrence! I'll pass this on to my Texas friend. I'm sure he'll appreciate the information.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login