Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (87% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Free gift left in Hetch Hetchy bear box

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Free gift left in Hetch Hetchy bear box
May 31, 2016 10:45AM
Had a great 3 day backpacking trip out of Hetch Hetchy over this past holiday weekend.

Thing is, I left a single grocery paper bag in the bottom right bear box at the Hetch Hetchy backpackers campground. It had some trash, a stick of deodorant, and a really nice new insulated coffee mug (with lid). It is the REI National Parks Centennial mug (picture attached).

Anyway, if you are in the area, and can use a really nice mug, feel free to grab it.

-Trevor
May 31, 2016 09:23PM
Hey there! We are headed there this weekend... trip report? Snow? Creek crossings? Mosies?
Anything?
June 01, 2016 05:37PM
Did loop via Beehive Meadows to Lake Vernon and back via Tiltill Valley/Rancheria Falls from 5/27 through 5/29.

Initial switchbacks suck. Hot and tons of annoying flies. Keep an eye out for rattlers as well (almost stepped on one). Beautiful trail after the first 3 miles.

Ran into a bear head on shortly after Beehive Meadows. No problem. It ran off as soon as it saw me.

I stayed at Lake Vernon on Friday and Saturday night. Very nice. Light crowds. Light mosquitoes. Friday night at 6:30 PM a mother bear and cub walked right into my hammock camp. Very cute cub. Mother not afraid of me at all but did not cause any problems. Tons of deer in the area as well.

Headed toward Tiltill Valley early Sunday. Small patches of snow above 7000 feet. No problems staying on trail. A few fallen trees here and there. Descent down to Tiltill is pretty dry and hot. Lots of thorny brush (at times pretty overgrown).

Tiltill still very wet. Sandals are a must. About 100 yards of walking through 5-12 inches of water.

I was going to stay at Rancheria on Sunday but just could not get excited about the area. Tons of little biting flies harassed me relentlessly. Also heard from multiple folks that Saturday night was obnoxiously crowded and noisy. Ended up hiking through and driving home a day early.

In summary, very glad that I stayed at Lake Vernon both nights. Wildlife interaction was probably the best I have ever experienced in Yosemite. Well worth the long hike in and out.
June 01, 2016 07:18AM
Well, I would have taken it, but the coffee was cold.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
June 01, 2016 06:42PM
Thanks for the info---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login