All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hiking to North Dome as well as Hiking the Panorama Trail Ideas
June 03, 2016 08:27AM
Hi all, I have a family trip planned later in June to the Valley and are planning on hiking to North Dome from Tioga Rd as well as hiking the Four-Mile Trail to Glacier Point then taking the Panorama Trail back to the Valley floor. I'm wondering if there are any good side trips/views we should be aware of along those trails? I was fortunate enough to find out about Sierra Point from this forum and have really enjoyed finding the hidden jewels among all of the crowds in and around Yosemite. Thanks so much for your help!
Re: Hiking to North Dome as well as Hiking the Panorama Trail Ideas
June 03, 2016 09:50AM
An obvious one in the ND area would be Indian Rock/Natural Arch.

Well worth some extra effort.
avatar Re: Hiking to North Dome as well as Hiking the Panorama Trail Ideas
June 03, 2016 01:56PM
AnotherDave
An obvious one in the ND area would be Indian Rock/Natural Arch.

Well worth some extra effort.

+1.

On the Panorama, coming down from GP to Illilouette Creek is an overlook to see Illilouette Fall (the only place from the trail you can see it). Then, Panorama Point is just off the Panorama trail ascending from top of Illilouette Fall, it's a short jaunt off to the left. Otherwise, the 4-Mile+Panorama is about 14 miles if you take the Mist down, with about 4k total elevation gain and the same loss, that should be enough for one day with the family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2016 01:56PM by JRinGeorgia.
June 03, 2016 05:44PM
+1 for the Indian arch! It's a 200' and 200' elevation side trip before you drop down to north dome and I like it more than the north dome per se.
Have fun!
June 04, 2016 07:42AM
One more note about the arch. If you hike east up to the top of the ridge on your way back down, there's a really nice view of the Clark Range...only 75 yds or so

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2016 07:42AM by balzaccom.
June 05, 2016 08:20AM
I just did the big loop mist trail/panorama/4 mile trail a few weeks and have done it many times. I've always hiked it going up the mist trail, coming down 4-mile. But have noticed the guide books and most hikers do it the other way.

I think it's nicer going up the mist trail. you see the falls as you hike up, where you need to concentrate (mist trail), you have energy, and then when you're exhausted, you're coming down 4-mile trail, which is boring and long, but easy in the sense that most of it doesn't require much concentration.

Curious why others prefer it the other way.

p.s. I know a lot of people like North Dome. I wasn't that enamored by the hike. The view at the end was nice, but that was about it. I feel like if I'm in Tuolumne, there are so many more scenic and interesting hikes, I can't see doing North Dome again.
avatar Re: Hiking to North Dome as well as Hiking the Panorama Trail Ideas
June 08, 2016 04:54PM
When I've done it the other way (Four Mile Trail --> Panorama Trail), I've usually gone down the JMT from Nevada Falls instead of the Mist Trail. If you want to hike the Mist Trail as part of the loop, then doing it your way makes more sense.

Leave No Trace
June 09, 2016 07:46AM
Thanks for all the input everyone. We were planning on heading down the JMT. Way more forgiving on the knees!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login