Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Snow on Old Tioga Rd to Aspen Valley?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Snow on Old Tioga Rd to Aspen Valley?
June 03, 2016 09:57AM
I've found information here about Old Tioga Rd to Aspen Valley. That seems like an interesting, easy, fun short trip to a place I've not yet visited (Aspen Valley). Until seeing that post (which was the result of following one link to the next to the next... about Old Tioga Rd) I'd not even heard of the place named Aspen Valley.

Does anyone know, or care to offer an educated guess based on elevation, if that section of Old Tioga Rd from Evergreen Rd to Aspen Valley is clear of snow yet (passable on a mountain bike)?

From what I've read, it's permitted to bike on that section of OTR, but not beyond (east) of Aspen Valley. Is that correct?

Thanks,
avatar Re: Snow on Old Tioga Rd to Aspen Valley?
June 05, 2016 08:09PM
JWK and eye hiked to Aspen in mid-March... there was snow about 6000'

Its June... it will be snow free now...

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 05, 2016 08:42PM
Sorry, dixlexia in kicked my
JKW

Looked like this... I dunno which way is south though...

March 17

June 06, 2016 10:08AM
Yup. No snow at all. Now that I think about it, of course not. There's no snow at Crane Flat, why would there be snow at Aspen Valley?

So we did this ride and it was just as advertised (see link in OP). No deadfall, road is clear and relatively good condition. Pretty steady, but gradual ascent from Evergreen to AV. Nothing very difficult, no spectacular views but a nice ride through the Sierra. The ride back down was very relaxing due to the mild slope.

Besides needing a taste of the Sierra before longer hikes later in the year, the main appeal for me was to see the OTR and the cabins in the valley. As stated above, nothing from the old entrance station and business(es) remains, just the (presumably) private cabins. I wonder if current owners can sell them or only pass down to family members (or neither)?

It was sunny and warm this past weekend in Yosemite, great to be there.
June 07, 2016 07:42AM
If I rode a bike... I'd bike Old Coulterville to Buena Vista... and Eagle Peak...
And also bike to Trumbull Peak and the Tower...

Some big iconic Rock can be seen...

Old Tioga is nice due to it's history... so even though no view per sey... it's a nice stroll..
Quiet... Serene... And you can see Rim Fire ... some of what it has done... and how
it is coming back... and look for Bench Markers along the way... and enjoy the outdoors.

Have fun

(and there's other roads you can bike in the park... not many though)

June 07, 2016 04:54PM
chick-on
If I rode a bike... I'd bike Old Coulterville to Buena Vista... and Eagle Peak...
And also bike to Trumbull Peak and the Tower...

Those are some fun rides. There are some big and deep ruts on the way down to Eagle Peak so I had to walk my bike down the last half mile or so. Since the fire the section between Old Coulterville and Little Nellie Falls has gotten some dusty pockets making it hard to ride. Haven't been out to Trumbull via bike in a long time, so you might hit a few ruts along the way but otherwise a great ride (well if it isn't too hot).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login