All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Silver Lake (June Lake Loop) to Tuolumne Meadows
June 11, 2016 12:43PM
Will be staying in the June Lake area the first week of August, and am planning on utilizing YARTS so I can get in a nice point-to-point hike.

Has anyone here made the hike from Silver Lake to Tuolumne Meadows via Rush Creek Trail/JMT, or vice-versa? Regardless of which direction I go, I'd be starting early and taking YARTS either to/from Tuolumne Meadows.

Thanks all!

Matty
[email protected]
Re: Silver Lake (June Lake Loop) to Tuolumne Meadows
June 11, 2016 02:35PM
Great trip, but in August, two factors to consider:

Due to summer heat, elevation to gain, and no trees, the 2,000 foot climb up out of Silver Lake TH can be a real grind...interesting relics and lots of water (Rush Creek), but hot and slow going...suggest coming down instead - much easier. However...

From Tuolumne, they are implementing a Donahue Pass quota system this year - caused by overuse by PCT/JMTers. Unless permit already in hand, (or willing to camp over at the TM permit office) - obtaining a walk-in (next day) permit in the preferred direction (N - S) may be problematic.

To add, avoid Waugh as a campsite as is a fishless bog. Possible alternative TH to start from is the Koip/Parker Pass TH. Still use YARTS, same Silver exit, and easier to get a permit out of the TM permit office.
avatar Re: Silver Lake (June Lake Loop) to Tuolumne Meadows
June 13, 2016 06:57AM
Hike or backpack?

Chick-on is looking at you!
June 13, 2016 07:01AM
Z Yose Yacht Club ...

Did a jaunt from Agnews to Silver...

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,80665,80665#msg-80665

So many options... honestly... my recommendation is take YARTS to Mammoth
and just blop around Garnett, 1000, Ediza, Minaret, blah blah blah...
and come out Silver...
You can't go wrong...

Maybe you want to do just do a long dayhike from TM to Silver?

Re: Silver Lake (June Lake Loop) to Tuolumne Meadows
June 13, 2016 09:13AM
chick-on
Hike or backpack?
Hi chick-on- this will be a [long] day hike.

chick-on
Maybe you want to do just do a long dayhike from TM to Silver?
Yes, this is correct.

chick-on
Z Yose Yacht Club ...

Did a jaunt from Agnews to Silver...

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,80665,80665#msg-80665

So many options... honestly... my recommendation is take YARTS to Mammoth
and just blop around Garnett, 1000, Ediza, Minaret, blah blah blah...
and come out Silver...
You can't go wrong...
Thanks for the tips and info. I'll be at a cabin in June Lake for a week, and am looking for some great hikes into and out of that area. I'll definitely be spending 2-3 days of that time doing hikes off Tioga Road, but also wanted to do some point-to-points so I'm able to get into some areas I might not otherwise be able to without backpacking, etc.

You raise an interesting idea...that is, hiking from Agnew to Silver instead of TM to Silver. Is one of those routes considered "more scenic" than the other, if that is even possible? Heck, maybe I'll just do both.
June 13, 2016 10:12AM
I don't think you can go too wrong from Agnews. Lots of options.
Well... I heard Spooky Meadows was "interesting"...

Agnew Pass or Island Pass... depends on how long you want...

Lots of options... Have fun planning!

If you do both... maybe do TM to Silver first... then you can see Spooky... from Agnew Lake area...
and come that-a-way after maybe visiting Garnett and 1000... and come over Agnew Pass.

have fun!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2016 10:14AM by chick-on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login