Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Trip Report: Hetch Hetchy Loop 6/7-6/9

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trip Report: Hetch Hetchy Loop 6/7-6/9
June 12, 2016 11:11AM
Just returned from a three day loop starting at the Dam up to Vernon for the first night. We started early because of the heat warnings of the day and the exposed climb. So glad we did! It was hot. The hike was pleasant, many more wildflowers than expected. Mosies were only a problem through the beehive area. The ranger told us that access to Laurel Lake was still cut off from Frog Creek high water level, so that was not an option for lunch.

Upon arrival to the footbridge leading to Vernon lake we had to make a small crossing of Falls Creek which was roaring and cold! Knee deep and the feet were throbbing by the time we got across. What an amazing site with the rushing water. Found a nice campsite on the southern side with nice winds to keep mosies at bay. A couple of other groups were sprinkled around the lake.

The next day was more warm weather. We climbed out and up and passed a couple of groups going in the opposite direction coming from Tiltill. Crossing Tiltill valley the feet got wet and muddy. There were mosies but they lessened as we climbed out of the valley. There were several overgrown sections between Tiltill and Rancheria and it was quite hot. Had an amazing camp spot near Rancheria Creek, view of the falls. Just us and a big rattlesnake in this area of the creek. Very nice evening breeze and COLD water for the feet.

We had a leisurely morning and then the 6.3 mile hike out. The Wapama falls were going off and we got wet during the crossing. It felt very good! Lovely views on this part of the trail coming out.

We had a nice chat with the City of SF water samplers from the dam. Quite an interesting job. We had watched them boating along the length of HH in the morning and then sampling at the Dam as we came out. Where do we apply?

**Sorry no photos, can't figure out how to post on this site. Still.....
Re: Trip Report: Hetch Hetchy Loop 6/7-6/9
June 12, 2016 02:14PM
So glad it worked out! And that u got enough, but not too much, high water on the crossings! So nice when the flow is good!

Re: posting pics.. You could post with Picasaweb, but if you've been pushed over to Google Photos, you are SOL, no embed links from that service.

Basilbop has a legacy Picasaweb account which he can still leverage, but I couldn't. Turns out OneDrive supports embedded links, not as elegantly for sizing as Picasaweb, but serviceable. So going forward, I can post pics from my collection there... (But I'm lucky that Basilbop does most of that work!!) Good luck. Let's not turn this thread into a technical chat, start a new thread in general forum maybe, if u need help..?

Hope u get out again soon!
avatar Re: Trip Report: Hetch Hetchy Loop 6/7-6/9
June 13, 2016 07:34AM
JKW
Re: posting pics.. You could post with Picasaweb, but if you've been pushed over to Google Photos, you are SOL, no embed links from that service.

Does it work for you to add the URL parameter "?noredirect=1" to the end of your Picasa URL? That's still working for me, if I don't have it I'm redirected to Google Photos.

It sounds like I need to find a new service soon anyway: Picasa Going Away Link.
avatar Re: Trip Report: Hetch Hetchy Loop 6/7-6/9
June 13, 2016 07:29AM
Nice report.

lilagray
The ranger told us that access to Laurel Lake was still cut off from Frog Creek high water level, so that was not an option for lunch.

Water levels seem to be a little lower, I was at Laurel Lake this weekend (pics later) (6/11-12) and Frog Creek was full but not flooding. Mosquitoes were definitely out, though. The rangers had warning signs out for water levels at Wapama Falls, and from the switchbacks I could see Rancheria Falls was going pretty good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2016 07:44AM by ttilley.
Re: Trip Report: Hetch Hetchy Loop 6/7-6/9
June 13, 2016 08:52AM
Yes, Wapama falls were gushing over the last bridge... wet, happy, feet!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login