All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Has anyone tried the Nemo Cosmo (or Astro) sleeping pad?
June 25, 2016 07:52PM
Even using advanced search for all dates, all forums, I don't get any hits for nemo, cosmo (other than the drink) or astro (other than astronomy things (or the Jetson's dog...)). I thought someone would have tried, and opined on these pads.

I just came back from a typical epic pre-trip visit to REI, trying lots of combinations continuing my quest for a comfortable sleeping setup. I currently have a previous version of the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Trekker. It's a claimed 2.5" thick and has horizontal baffles. I know many here swear by the NeoAir XTherm. I tried it today. It's still a 2.5" thick pad with horizontal baffles; while I can imagine it to be warmer than my older pad (which lacks the XTherm's internal insulating material) it still feels basically the same. I'm sure it's a fine pad that works for many, it just doesn't work for me for some reason. I'm not concerned about the "potato chip bag noise" that some have found troublesome.

Despite being put off by it's weight (and still valuing the good durability I've enjoyed with Therm-a-Rest products over the years, still made in the USA) I tried the Nemo Comso pad. It is claimed to be 4" thick (in the large size), also with horizontal baffles. I was really surprised at the difference that (or something else about it's construction) made. I am considering it now. It is heavier than my current pad, but also warmer and thicker.

Has anyone tried this pad, or the similar Nemo Astro pad? The specs show the Cosmo to be a full 1 lb. heavier than the current XTherm model (the Astro is only 3 oz. heavier than the XTherm) I can't find the manufacturer's claimed weight (or any other specs) for my ca. 2013 model NeoAir Trekker for comparison. I have to say, that extra thickness makes a difference. Some say it causes a "bouncy feeling", though I didn't have that feeling.

Edit: Just back from one more visit to another REI with a better selection of pads. I have the Astro and will give it a test in a week.

Nemo Cosmo Insulated: Weight (clamied) is 36 oz, temperature 10-20F, has built in foot-pump/inflator, quick dump deflating valve/gate in addition to standard inflate/deflate value, Primaloft insulation. 76" long x 25" wide x 4" thick
Nemo Astro Insulated Lite: Weight (clamied) is 23 oz, (measured) 23.3 oz, temperature 15-25F, forgoes the built in foot-pump/inflator and quick dump deflating valve/gate (has one simple inflate/deflate valve), Primaloft insulation (may not be as thick as in Cosmo), lighter body material than Cosmo. 76" long x 25" wide x 4" thick
Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm MAX (rectangular for fair comparison): Weight (claimed) 23 oz, R-value 5.7, standard inflate/deflate valve, internal (foil/sheet?) insulation, 77 x 25 x 2.5.
My Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Trekker: Weight (measured) 24.8 oz. No insulation as far as I can tell. 76 x 25 x 2.5.

The Nemo Cosmo design looks like it targeted the Therm-a-Rest directly from looking at the specs. Nemo doesn't provide R-value as Therm-a-Rest does; rather, they provide a "temperature rating" - which is a concern. R-value is objectively measured, comfort is not. The Cosmo sells for $150, the XTherm for $230. I've found it's generally true that you get what you pay for. In this case, that might be domestic/foreign labor, or materials, or other. I wasn't looking to save money, but to gain comfort. No idea how well this will hold up in the field under use. I think of any sleeping pad leak as catastrophic (you either end up on the ground or not); I can only wish for durability comparable to all previous Therm-a-Rest pads I've owned (never one defect, leak or problem).

We shall see. I will report back on comfort and durability after the first big test. Still looking for others' experiences though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2016 06:41PM by ags.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login