Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Lassen -- the top of the Sierra?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Lassen -- the top of the Sierra?
July 02, 2016 08:27AM
Last weekend the weather in Lassen Volcanic National Park was perfect--warm in the sun, cool in the shade. But we were surprised by the amount of snow: they had just opened the road through the park the week before, and snow levels were still around 7500 feet on the trails. Which meant that we tried to hike up from the Devastated Area to Terrace Lake, only to get turned back by heavy snow at about 7400 feet on the north side of the ridge.

About here we decided that it might not be worth continuing. We lost the trail and the snow slopes were getting pretty steep up ahead.

We also hiked down Hat Creek through the Reading Fire area...which was sad and sobering....and to the Devil's Kitchen out of Drakebad, and up Manzanita Creek. Lots of great hikes in this park. We'll go back later this year for a backpacking trip in the eastern part.

Rangers were recommending crampons for anyone climbing Lassen Peak itself (10,400.)

Hat Creek Cascade

Still, this is an amazing park that gets very little traffic and attention. And nice to see all that snow feeding the streams and rivers!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
July 02, 2016 02:45PM
Thanks for sharing! Have only been to Lassen once but loved it! Would actually look to go back and backpack around Lassen Peak during winter. Snow levels there looks phenomenal!
avatar Re: Lassen -- the top of the Sierra?
July 05, 2016 09:06AM
Nice pictures, thanks.

I thought Lassen was the "bottom of the Cascades" rather than the top of the Sierra, with the Sierra "ending" somewhere around Lake Almanor.
July 05, 2016 12:06PM
Yes, thanks for the report.

ttilley
Nice pictures, thanks.

I thought Lassen was the "bottom of the Cascades" rather than the top of the Sierra, with the Sierra "ending" somewhere around Lake Almanor.

You are correct. The northern terminus of the Sierra Nevada is indeed under Lake Almanor/Fredonyer Pass.
July 14, 2016 10:40AM
I hiked Cinder Cone a couple weeks ago and that was free of snow and empty plus an amazing spot. That side of the park doesn't hold onto snow like the main area of the park does.
July 14, 2016 04:01PM
Love the view from Cinder Cone! We did it last August in 100+ weather on a backpacking trip. We went back to the car after summiting haha. How are the lakes looking like around Cinder? They were pretty low last year.
July 16, 2016 04:31PM
Did the Cinder Cone in August last year too. Smoky but still amazing...

Too smoky for Lassen Peak
avatar Re: Lassen -- the top of the Sierra?
July 18, 2016 09:25AM
Sweet photos Balzaccom, thanks for the report. My wife and I love Lassen.

And since this has sort of devolved into a "Cinder Cone Appreciation" thread..........

Nothing like grinding up the trail through all the loose cinders

But the view from the top is pretty cool....... my wife making her way across the cone with Lassen in the background

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login