Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trip advice on the 120 area, July 16-24

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trip advice on the 120 area, July 16-24
July 07, 2016 09:11AM
Hello. I have a few questions for my upcoming trip. I will be leaving July 16. Trying to figure a few things out. Any info is greatly appreciated. Every year I come to yall for advice, and I thank you again.

Want to ask about trail conditions going to Matthes lake from Cathedral TH. Will it be muddy, boggy, and flooded past the Cathedral pass going toward Echo to Matthes? Last year it was no problem this same time of year.

Running out of options on day hikes along the 120, so another hike we’re looking at is the Kuna lake area. Spillway, Helen, Kuna lake. Just bounce from one lake to another. Is this area worth the trouble? It looks like a rocky hike after Spillway lake. How is the scenery factor? Ive done some research online and seen photos.

Lastly we are looking at a 3 night backpack. Not going for permits until the day of which will be a Thursday morning, at 8am. So, thinking ill be able to get a young lakes permit for 4. What other permits are easily obtainable the day of, for 4.

Looking at getting permits for young lakes. Our plan is day 1 (Thursday) hike to upper young lake and bagging White mountain. Day 2 (Friday) trek to Roosevelt lake and possibly hike North peak this day, or just set up camp and wake up early to hike North peak on day 3 (Saturday). Then hike back to young lake on day 3 (Saturday). Wake up early hike out on day 4 (Sunday).

This sounds good , right? Looks good. Not too much, not too little. I guess my questions are snow conditions on White and North peaks, and route up. Is it doable this time of year with the snow, on the class 2 routes. Not rock climbing, just hiking to the top. I believe for North peak well go to don’t be a smart pass, then take the S/ SW face? And for White go straight up from young lake to the ridge just north of White, then take the ridge up? Or just go straight up the western face from young lake area?

And camping spots at Roosevelt. Any good ones?

Thanks again,

Josh
July 11, 2016 03:15PM
My only question now is availability on getting a permit for 4 on a thursday morning at 8am. Any input?
avatar Re: Trip advice on the 120 area, July 16-24
July 11, 2016 05:39PM
eLeMeNOhPee
My only question now is availability on getting a permit for 4 on a thursday morning at 8am. Any input?

There are two trailheads that go to Young Lakes, Dog Lake Trailhead and Young Lakes via Glen Aulin. Be prepared to get permits for either and perhaps a combination of the two if your party can split up and hike the two different routes with a meet-up at the junction by Young Lakes.

If you are in line at 8AM on Thursday your chances are good. Which entrance station will you be coming in on?

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2016 09:07PM by mrcondron.
July 11, 2016 07:52PM
So you got a PM for the other questions?

Been up both... North right now will be very simple from Roosevelt as you described...

White from what you described... no... go from SW .... and make sure to check out the
nib at about 10,600....

The ridge you have to cross over will still be holding snow...

It doesn't matter which entrance station you enter at. Since Thursday morn you have good shot.
But you never know... there could be group from previous day that nabs them all...

Good luck and
Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 11, 2016 08:00PM
Ok, maybe from North is simple... I only went up ridge and then to White... then down to Skeltons... and out...
from Conness/White Saddle... White looks easy... hehehe

Stick N Fedders
n
JKW in faux toe for scale

Ok, I'll shaddup now...

Have fun
(it looks fun)
(the ridge is better though... fo sho)

July 13, 2016 08:47AM
chick-on

(the ridge is better though... fo sho)

The ridge to the north of white?
Is that photo taken looking back (south) at white mtn?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2016 09:44AM by eLeMeNOhPee.
July 13, 2016 10:25AM
The ridge south of Young Lakes...

I went up White via the red line here... (ish)

The north face will be holding some snow... but it should be pretty do-able...

imo... getting up on the ridge... even if you don't go up White... will (and IS) stellar!
I marked the ridge in black...

have done a fair bit of it... but not all...

w/r to permits... um... you will save a LOT of time if you can get to BOF or TM the day BEFORE
(they are open til 5pm iirc) ... and you will have next to NO wait time! If you drive up to TM
at 7am ... then I would guess you might not have permit in hand until 10am ...
personally I make it a point to NOT get there at 8am ...
YMMV

have fun

July 13, 2016 11:21AM
chick-on
The ridge south of Young Lakes...

I went up White via the red line here... (ish)

The north face will be holding some snow... but it should be pretty do-able...

imo... getting up on the ridge... even if you don't go up White... will (and IS) stellar!
I marked the ridge in black...

have done a fair bit of it... but not all...

w/r to permits... um... you will save a LOT of time if you can get to BOF or TM the day BEFORE
(they are open til 5pm iirc) ... and you will have next to NO wait time! If you drive up to TM
at 7am ... then I would guess you might not have permit in hand until 10am ...
personally I make it a point to NOT get there at 8am ...
YMMV

have fun

Great thanks for the map. We'll take the south ridge. Looks more direct. Thanks for the map

One more question. Every time I get permits for the day of, its usually pretty quick. There is always a line, but mostly for the 11am next-day permits. What am I missing? Why might it take a couple hours at 7am thursday? Thanks again.
July 13, 2016 11:28AM
eLeMeNOhPee
One more question. Every time I get permits for the day of, its usually pretty quick. There is always a line, but mostly for the 11am next-day permits. What am I missing? Why might it take a couple hours at 7am thursday? Thanks again.

OK.

As said.. YMMV.

What can happen is you get there at 8am... and it just opened... and now you're in line...
and Billy tries Sunrise, Cathedral, Rafferty... then asks ranger for advice for 1/2 hour...
Also maybe you get the 8am rundown o the rules... and that burns another 15 mins..

But, if you haven't had that joy... then ... sweet!

Have fun

July 11, 2016 09:12PM
chick-on
It doesn't matter which entrance station you enter at. Since Thursday morn you have good shot.
But you never know... there could be group from previous day that nabs them all...

Why not get the permits for Young Lakes the day before?

Old Dude
July 11, 2016 09:21PM
Well... ya... that's what they should do if they are there... and it seems they will be...
Since they coming on the 16th... must be starting Youngs on 21st.
Only reason to not get day before would be due to having to wait till 11am to get.
You can easily burn an hour to get it then...

They asked day of tho...

And to orig poster... uh... yeah, Kuna area is awesome
(try searching on this forum... all dates... and you may find something)

July 13, 2016 07:57AM
mrcondron
chick-on

Why not get the permits for Young Lakes the day before?

We are staying at Crane Flat until Thursday morning. Wednesday we have plans and dont want to waste half a day standing in line to get permits at the Tuolumne meadow station. We'll drive up from Crane Flat by 7 am Thursday. I never thought about getting 2 different permits for both trailheads, good call.
July 27, 2016 04:29PM
We ended up shuffling plans around, and getting the permit the day before. We just jumped at rainbow pools all day, then made the drive over to the station to get permits. Hiked white mountain just as the map showed, very easy. Everything worked out. Didn't do Matthes or Kuna, Next time.... Thanks again yall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 04:29PM by eLeMeNOhPee.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login