Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Top of El Capitan

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Top of El Capitan
August 10, 2016 06:22AM
I am looking to hike to the top of El Capitan and then maybe down to the Valley. It looks like there's a trail from Tamarack Flat to El Cap that connects with Yosemite Falls. Anyone have intel on the nature of the trail -- approximate mileage, trailhead parking, high points of the hike, trouble spots?
Re: Top of El Capitan
August 10, 2016 09:27AM
If you hike from El Cap to the Valley via Yosemite Falls Trail,
be sure to take the side trip to Eagle Peak.

The view, the view, the view....
August 10, 2016 09:36PM
Thanks for the tips. Dayhiking.
August 11, 2016 09:45AM
I've done the loop in both directions - each time starting from the valley, but never from Tamarack or Foresta TH. If you start from Tamarack, will you be spending the night in the valley? If so, you could take hiker's bus back to your car the following morning.
August 10, 2016 02:45PM
Dayhiking or backpacking?
August 10, 2016 03:25PM
I think it's about 16-17 miles from the Tamarack Flat campground/trailhead to the base of the Yosemite Falls trail at Camp 4, which makes for a long day hike or a nice multi-day trip. You can park at Tamarack Flat (until October 15) if starting there. The trail is fairly well-traveled, and I can't think of anything that would qualify as a "trouble" spot. The only water sources may be Cascade Creek, Ribbon Creek (perhaps only pools), and Yosemite Creek, so plan accordingly.
August 12, 2016 05:31PM
The only thing I would add is that the hike is at a relatively low elevation which means it can be rather hot. Not sure when you are planning on doing this hike, but I'd expect relatively soon. The climb up from Cascade Creek to El Capitan doesn't have a lot of shade and can be hot. I would plan your timing accordingly, as well your hydration strategy and to bring your light-weight backpacking gear. Cascade Creek is about 6,000 ft and the trail peaks at about 7,500 ft.
August 23, 2016 09:59PM
Thanks for all of the advice. Did the hike on Saturday. Water was sketchy en route. Refilled at Yosemite Creek. My thanks to those that set up the cairns on the granite areas - the trail would have been difficult to follow in a few spots without these markers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login