Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hiked Conness this weekend - Video of exposed section

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hiked Conness this weekend - Video of exposed section
August 28, 2016 10:02PM
We left from Sawmill campground, hiked up the drainage and through a narrow chute between White and Conness, then across the ridge line north to the summit plateau. Final section highlights below:
https://vimeo.com/180542972
August 29, 2016 12:15AM
3:37 or so might be above my pay grade...
August 29, 2016 11:25AM
chicagocwright
3:37 or so might be above my pay grade...

0:01 to about 5:23 is above mine! no, stop, enough! Just watching the video almost required a change of underwear for me! I'm fairly sure-footed but that kind of exposure really freaks me out. I honestly do thank you for the video, though. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go dry off my sweaty palms. tongue sticking out smiley
avatar Re: Hiked Conness this weekend - Video of exposed section
August 29, 2016 01:13PM
Great videos and brings back great memories. We did a family trip in about 1985, hiking to Young Lakes and then up Conness. My little sister got to what I recall as a particularly exposed portion near the summit and had to take a rather "airy" step or two. After gathering up the courage to do so....she made the crossing...and having scared the #$%@ out of herself she immediately came back. And so had to do it all over again to summit! (Which she did btw).

The other memory was of my Dad twisting is ankle coming back down off of the Conness summit plateau towards Young Lakes. We helped him back to camp and by the next morning he was unable to walk; we had to hire a horse to haul his butt out of there. Two weeks later he went to the doctor and found out he had broken his leg!

Thanks for sharing!
September 10, 2016 05:48PM
DavidK42
0:01 to about 5:23 is above [my pay grade]!

+1 to that; after watching the video I crossed Conness off my list of places to go.
avatar Re: Hiked Conness this weekend - Video of exposed section
August 29, 2016 08:05AM
prey4mojo

We left from Sawmill campground, hiked up the drainage and through a narrow chute between White and Conness, then across the ridge line north to the summit plateau. Final section highlights below:

Cool!

Thanks for sharing your video.

Leave No Trace
August 29, 2016 01:06PM
Yea - I made the mistake of "glimpsing" down both directions and lost my nerve. That's "the large step" I referred to a while back, which leads to the incredibly narrow ledge area. You slip, you die. Might give it another go someday.
August 30, 2016 08:57AM
I did this route 47 years ago when I was working in Yosemite. Seemed less steep and narrow back then! I doubt I'll get back to do it again...

Then again, I also climbed Cathedral that summer with a friend and co-worker. Now that I look at Cathedral Peak, I think I must have been insane...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 06, 2016 05:26PM
I also hiked to Conness on Aug. 28. Encountered one couples and then one solo gentle man. You must be the solo.
September 06, 2016 08:01PM
We actually climbed on Saturday the 27th. We met 4 "climbers" who had come up the west face, and a guy and his father celebrating his 65th birthday hiking to the summit from Young Lakes. We just missed you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login