Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Leavitt Meadows/Dorothy Lake/Wilma Lake/Tilden Lake/Tower Lake Loop Hike

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Leavitt Meadows/Dorothy Lake/Wilma Lake/Tilden Lake/Tower Lake Loop Hike
September 08, 2016 06:00PM
On the Tuesday before Labor Day I started a 52 mile hike from Leavitt Meadows, going to Fremont Lake, then up to Dorothy inside Yosemite, then to Wilma. From Wilma I had a short day hiking to Tilden. The next day, Saturday...the plan had been to make another relatively short day hiking cross-country past Mary, over the col to Tower Lake, then camp there. However, the winds were howling Saturday and Tower Lake is quite exposed, so instead I made it a relatively long day hiking down into the trees below Piute Cabin.

Bugs: Hardly any.

Water: Good flows in many but not all seasonal flows.

Permit Process: If your permit is reserved then the Bridgeport Ranger District appears to print them out prior to your pickup. This is great, it makes the pickup process extremely efficient for reserved permits, they just find the permit they've already printed and sorted, you sign it, you're on your way.

Campfire Rules: When I picked up my permit in Bridgeport on Tuesday morning I was told that campfires in the Hoover Wilderness would be prohibited starting midnight the end of the day Tuesday (8/30).

Campfire Morons: On Wednesday morning (8/31) I saw a helicopter hovering for a while up ahead - beyond where I was hiking. Later I met someone on the trail who asked me if the fire was out...no idea what he meant, so he said he had hiked by an area where he saw someone with a fire on top of deep forest duff. He tried to help them put it out but the fire spread underneath the duff becoming too much. So... 1) Don't light a campfire on top of forest duff, existing fire rings on mineral soil only, or better yet don't bother, and 2) Don't light a campfire the morning after they become illegal.

Swimming:

Fremont: Nice rock entrance where I was, which was good because the bottom-squishies are a bit deep.

Dorothy: Perfect. Nice bottom conditions, nice temperature despite the wind stirring up the water, perfect.

Wilma: Perfect. You wouldn't think so given the grassy borders and lower elevation, but the bottom conditions are great, deep water is quickly reachable in the central and eastern portions.

Tilden: Perfect as well.

Roosevelt: The water clarity suffers a lot at this extremely popular lake 2 miles or so from the trailhead, but the bottom is reasonably firm, deep water readily reachable, temperatures near perfect.

Pictures...

Sunset from Fremont Lake. Probably because this was a Tuesday I had this rather popular lake to myself.

Lake Harriet:

Dorothy Lake, just inside Yosemite:

Upper Grace Meadow:

Lake Wilma:

Tilden Lake, and a view of Tower Peak:

The skies turned cloudy late Friday and stayed cloudy through Saturday mid-day, with the winds picking up a lot. When I reached Mary Lake the skies were still cloudy, but as I hiked around that lake they cleared, giving me a nice view.

The route up the col between Mary and Tower is a walk-up, with Mountain Willow being the only obstacle. Going down to Tower is also Class 2, though there's some talus to pick through, and I suppose earlier in the season snow would be a problem. The snow field at the top of the north side of the col was avoidable by walking around, and there were flowers growing beneath it.

There is a second area of snow just below a steep area closer to the bottom, that snow is a bit rotted.

Tower Lake:

One more...at the trailhead there's a new, higher, foot/horse bridge over the Walker River. This one is anchored only at the top of the banks on each end. It appears the reason for the replacement was that one of the footings for the older, lower bridge is being undermined by high water on the West Walker:

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 06:21PM by ttilley.
avatar Re: Leavitt Meadows/Dorothy Lake/Wilma Lake/Tilden Lake/Tower Lake Loop Hike
September 09, 2016 06:30AM
Cool beans. Missed you at Wilma by a few days it seems (we hiked by it on Labor day)...

smiling smiley

(fwiw... one of my fave lakes in that area is Helen) (ok, and Ruth)

(fwiw... Leavitt Meadows, Leavitt Lake, and Sonora Pass... are self-reg ... you should
be able to get a permit at Leavitt Meadows TH... )

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 09, 2016 06:59AM
Chick-on is BACK!!!!
avatar Re: Leavitt Meadows/Dorothy Lake/Wilma Lake/Tilden Lake/Tower Lake Loop Hike
September 09, 2016 07:52AM
chick-on
(fwiw... Leavitt Meadows, Leavitt Lake, and Sonora Pass... are self-reg ... you should
be able to get a permit at Leavitt Meadows TH... )

I should have looked in the permit box...the Hoover Wilderness Reservation Form directions say Leavitt Meadow is one of the trailheads under trailhead quota (bullet 3, page 2), but then it also says that permits for Leavitt Lake, Sonora Pass, and Leavitt Meadow are available for self-issue (bullet 6).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2016 07:53AM by ttilley.
September 09, 2016 06:57AM
Yep. We love the "girls" lakes. Stelle is a favorite because we have a daughter by that name, more or less.

Any fishing? We've seen fish rising in most of those lakes.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 09, 2016 08:39AM
I didn't go fishing, but I saw others out fishing.

Bonnie looked pretty as well. I could see a fun trip of a few days just hanging around those various lakes and doing short day hikes in the surrounding country.
September 09, 2016 08:44AM
"They" were defishing lakes such as Helen and Ruth...

So... your fishing may vary....

tongue sticking out smiley

w/r to permits... permits at Leavitt TH were stamped...
"good for Leavitt Meadows, Sonora, Leavitt Lake ONLY"

Anywho... tanks fur sharon

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login