Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Bernice Lake

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Bernice Lake
September 09, 2016 06:52AM
Hi Folks- Heading out for a five day "crazy 8 loop" and looking at staying the second night at Bernice Lake. On my map it looks to be in a nice rock area (which we like) but the photos I found online make it look rather small, and mainly in a green area. Can anyone who has been there offer more insight? Is it a nice place to camp for the night?

I did see on the BackPackTheSierra site that it was mentioned but there wasn't much detail of sites down closer to the lake since they stayed way up on the ridge because of the mosies.

Thanks for any insight-
September 09, 2016 06:58AM
That's right. There are campsites closer to the lake. we be preferred the ridge up to the West of the lake. lots of places to camp. And bugs should be gone by now. Check out the waterfall on the East side.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 09, 2016 07:05AM
Great thanks- since you are familiar with the area, do you recall any good spots to camp between merced lake and echo valley junction?

This crazy 8 will have us staying somewhere along bunnel cascade night one, bernice lake night two, then going up and around vogey and staying between merced lake and echo valley jxn night three, then up around clouds rest night four... these spots are basically dictated by daily mileage but seem to have nice potential near water and views and such.

Thanks for the info- looking forward to Bernice smiling smiley
September 09, 2016 07:25AM
Just camp on da big flat spot in da middle...

tongue sticking out smiley

We floatilladidid Bernice in July... and camped near the "outlet" ... but there are lots o options...
All dirt... all rocks... grass knolls... grassy bowl...

Purty sure Z Sierra Club camps on east side-ish...

Stroll around and find your Zen

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 09, 2016 07:34AM
Thanks!

Glad you are back but I bet you would rather be in da woods!
September 09, 2016 07:39AM
lilagray
Thanks!

Glad you are back but I bet you would rather be in da woods!

You got that right! Spent all of August in da woods. Lots of fun and adventure.
Guess I have to go back to work now... sigh...

O well... Will be back out there come Sept. 16 and on and on...

Can tell you my fav-o-right spots around Echo Valley if you likey...
Echo Creek in Echo Valley had ZERO water in it... two weeks ago...
So carried water up from Merced River... the "spring" on way up to
"High Trail" still had water flowing... and the "pond" had water... but...
uh... yah... would have been a major pain in the booty to get water outta.
We also carried water up to Clouds Rest from Sunrise Creek / Forsyth Trail junction...
but ... the Forsyth Trail up high has VERY good water ... get it there...

Have fun on your adventure!

September 09, 2016 07:48AM
Yes, I would love to know your favorite spots around Echo Valley! I don't have GPS only old school paper map so I will try to find from any description you can give me.

Good to know about water so we will get from Merced and stay close by there (at your favorite spot perhaps?) and then get water out of sunrise for the climb up to Clouds Rest (kind of a long way to carry for the day, evening meal, and then next day). If we have time maybe going up the forsyth trail to get water for the night about 3/4 mile up trail and then back track to clouds rest (is that the water you are talking about)?

Are those camp sites near clouds rest easy to find?
September 09, 2016 08:29AM
Yes, no, maybe so

smiling smiley

(sent you a PM)

Have fun!

October 12, 2016 07:46AM
Hi.

Did you go? How it go? Where you go?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login