All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 26, 2016 06:57PM
I camped at Boothe Lake this Saturday, then on Sunday went cross-country to the peaklet above Boothe before returning. The hike to the peaklet allows a nice contrast between these late-summer pictures and the late spring snow pictures I took from the same spot four years ago.

Of course, Sonora Pass was closed Wednesday evening/Thursday morning, with CalTrans posting snow pictures from the pass. A bare covering, but snow nonetheless, quickly melted. I went swimming in Boothe Lake...for a couple minutes, no longer.

When I picked up my permit Saturday morning the ranger noted that the park is well on its way towards record visitation, with overnight wilderness trips also headed for a record. She also noted that there's been a problem with people not following leave no trace...the things she seemed to most call out were 1) people not packing out toilet paper (three pounds of the stuff recovered from Cathedral Lakes!), and 2) campfires burning into duff then re-igniting a couple days later (something I noted from the Hoover Wilderness, here).

Water: For the most part, lakes only. There was some stagnant water in the ponds at Tuolumne Pass, and some fresh water in lower Rafferty Creek just near the top of the initial switchbacks, no water higher up. Seasonal flows had no water, though in a couple cases there were puddles from the recent weather.

Bugs: None.

Swimming: Boothe offers nice swimming, quick access to deep water, and a bottom without lots of sediment.

Pictures:

Boothe Lake:

Fletcher Creek and Emeric Creek Valleys:

Boothe Lake and Vogelsang Peak:
avatar Re: Boothe Lake Weekend Trip
September 26, 2016 08:11PM
Ha. Berry kewl...

uh... we wuz der on Sept 16
tongue sticking out smiley

JKW OTQ

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 27, 2016 06:34AM
Not to irritate...

Also went by there on way to Lyell Fork on July 4th trip
(had to catch up with the blops on boating
Boothe (spelled Booth on the trail signs)
Vogelsang
Evelyn
Townsley
Hanging Basket
Fletcher)
w/r to LNT ... some bozo put up a stack o rocks IN Fletcher
o... also boated Babcock (sorry blops) (ok, not sorry)

Anywho... Boothe from July 1:

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 27, 2016 02:05PM
Chick-On

At Badger (Ansel Adams) someone had constructed a giant stack of rocks marking an illegal campsite (way too close to water, giant obelisk is gone now).
Re: Boothe Lake Weekend Trip
September 28, 2016 10:22AM
ttilley
Chick-On

At Badger (Ansel Adams) someone had constructed a giant stack of rocks marking an illegal campsite (way too close to water, giant obelisk is gone now).

Thank you for taking down the stack of rocks! It's soooooo frustrating to see these piles of rocks popping up everywhere! Kicked over so many rock piles over the past month-plus.. ugh.
September 28, 2016 10:24AM
What a wonderful trip that was!!! Love the area, always nice to go back and visit. But thoroughly annoyed with the trail abuse by horses. We saw so much new damage on the Rafferty trail... sigh..
September 27, 2016 06:28AM
Very nice. One of my favorite areas.
3 lbs of tp removed ? Wow, that's a lot of tp.
September 28, 2016 10:20AM
The Other Tom
Very nice. One of my favorite areas.
3 lbs of tp removed ? Wow, that's a lot of tp.

Grrr. After all the hiking just in August.. we saw TP in too many places. Often closer to trailheads.. which isn't surprising, I guess. But definitely infuriating! How hard is it to carry a little ziploc bag and pack it out? Sheesh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login