Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Looking for 2-day (one night) backpack south of Glacier Pt. Rd.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Looking for 2-day (one night) backpack south of Glacier Pt. Rd.
October 03, 2016 12:23PM
I have an open weekend coming up, and would like to get more time in Yosemite before winter sets in (and I lament the next 9 months for not getting into Yosemite enough during the summer... yes, I know the park is still open in the winter - I'm working on that...)

I've been to a lot of places over the years - often more than once. There are three big gaps that I see when reviewing my routes:

1) The multiple forks feeding into Merced River (Red Peak Fork, Triple Peak Fork, Merced Peak Fork, Lyell Fork). I have been south of there and it was great (Red Peak Pass, Merced Pass, Post Peak Pass, Fernandez Pass, etc)
2) The area south of Glacier Pt Rd, (Ostrander Lake area)
3) The area roughly bounded by White Wolf, Aspen Valley & Hetch Hetchy

I have just two days, one night. 20-25 mile loop would be good, cross-country is great (if not bushwhacking due to time limitation). Granite and peaks and streams are great. Few people is really great.

1) I suspect that two days is really not enough time for me to enjoy the Merced headwater forks - and all LYV passthrough advance reservation permits are not available (see below).

2) Because of the short time for hiking, I was hoping for an advance reservation for entry (rather than burning time waiting for same-day permit) but for Oct 8th many THs are still showing no availability. My first thought was to enter at Happy Isles up Mist Trail or Glacier Pt along Panorama Trail and then following Illilouette Creek south but both HI and GP THs are full. I've never entered through Mono Meadow TH and suppose that could work. Topo maps make it look feasible to make a loop XC from Edson Lake over granite to Ostrander Lake and then back to Glacier Point Rd. I could also enter at Peregoy Meadow TH to Ostrander Lake then XC to Mono Meadow or GP TH exit. Or enter Pergoy TH then through Westfall Meadows and Turner Meadow, along Chilnualna Creek up to Hart/Edson then (if possible) XC to Ostrander and back to Peregoy TH. Like I said, I've never been in this particular area so it's all lines on the topo map to me at this point. Guidance or suggestions here are appreciated.

3) I have never thought of the area south of HH, I've always gone north (typically Beehive/Rancheria Falls). Just adding it here as an option but really don't know what's there.

If none of this is recommended, I realize I've never been to the diving board, or Lost Lake. I could take a day to get there, and explore the site of Snow's Hotel and the remnants of Anderson's Trail. I'd still need a plan for Sunday. I've already been up Ledge Trail, Sierra Point, Rainbow View/Rockslides, Inspiration Point. I prefer a night of solitude, stars, serenity in the wilderness if possible.

I have decided that there is no such thing as a "throw away trail" in Yosemite. Well, maybe along busy roads in the valley itself. Otherwise, there's always something great.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 03:13PM by ags.
October 03, 2016 03:46PM
Mono Meadow will certainly get you into Illilouette Canyon as quickly (or quicker) than any other trailhead, but there are no obvious loops there, at least not overnight hikes.

Last year in the heart of the drought we hiked from Bridalveil to Grouse Lake (10-11 miles) and back again. We were thinking of completing the whole Buena Vista Loop on that hike, but it was April, it was really cold, and we bailed.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
October 04, 2016 07:54AM
Yeah that's a bit too long for two days. That's why I'm trying to find some way to make and out-and-back to Ostrander Lake (never been there) into a loop. It lookks doable from the topo map - over to Edson and then north back to Mono Meadows TH.

What is Illilouette Canyon like?
avatar Re: Looking for 2-day (one night) backpack south of Glacier Pt. Rd.
October 04, 2016 08:02AM
October 04, 2016 08:10AM
And this...

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,68467,68467#msg-68467

So... yeah... lots of good there...

and the trails themselves are quite nice too... but that's me...
on another forum... (I quit looking at any other forums btw) ...
someone bitched and moaned about Illilouette Canyon area...

there's all kinds of good there...

quite honestly... you could climb Mt. Clark with 2 days...

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,68467,68467#msg-68467

dang... time flies

Get out there!

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 04, 2016 12:57PM
Well OK then. I don't know how or why I've missed out on Illilouette Creek (beyond Panorama Trail & Falls) all this time. Heck, I can even spell it correctly.

I guess the dilemma now is whether to head to the Starr King area (enter/exit) via Illilouette Creek, or try to make the loop with XC travel to join with the Ostrander trail. I've never been to Starr King or Ostrander Lake. Could also make an almost loop (less backtracking on the way out) if going to Starr King by entering at Mono Meadow, to Starr King area, and out at Glacier Point. If going to Ostrander, I could make the XC trail connection over Horse Ridge (as in the linked reports) or from the trail to Edson Lake then west on (mostly) granite to Ostrander and then out at Bridalveil campground/TH.

So much to see and do...
Thanks for the replies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2016 02:06PM by ags.
October 04, 2016 05:17PM
Really too many options. Can give you a load o routes...
You can also search this site for items such as:
Horse Ridge
Horse Thief Canyon
Breeze Lake
Chain Lakes
South Fork Merced
Snaffle Bit
w/ all dates and authors as "chick-on" "basilbop" ... all "Bearproof" "AndrewF"
and you'll get more than what you asked for...
And there's more...

You can also attempt hiking the winter ski trails... YSMV (Your Shrubbery May Vary)

Have fun

October 04, 2016 07:48PM
This is great! Like I found a new park. I don't know how/why I've not been in this area - suspect it's because it's not "marketed" like Half Dome, Tuolumne Meadows, Cathedral Lakes, etc.

From the TR and pix I've seen, Illilouette Creek Canyon looks beautiful - almost reminiscent of Cherry Creek. Starr King looks like a blast. Lots of long granite ridges to climb and follow. How did I miss this?

Thanks for the info. BTW, I've asked specifically (or attempted to - my communication skills seem challenged today) for input on Ostrander. I do agree with "it's all good - get out there!". But is is on par with these areas? In other words, for a first adventure in this area, should I attempt a loop to include Ostrander and out Bridalveil TH or be happy exploring the Illilouette canyon and Starr King? I realize it's all subjective, but frankly, while I've not heard anything bad about Ostrander Lake area, I've also not heard anything good.

Can't wait to get out there...
October 05, 2016 07:23AM
I like Ostrander...

I LOVE Horse Ridge.

Hopefully this works... picasa / Google has kinda screwed me over...

https://goo.gl/photos/yvohbhrNDfNHJNzX6

https://goo.gl/photos/GuTG8CHc6sLsmafp9

There are more photos of Ostrander in the Buena Vista Yacht Club
basilbop was so kind to take time and write up (do people want
these TRs? because you guys REALLLY should tell him something... )

Anyzoo... I would think you would like Ostrander and Hart a plenty

Have fun

October 10, 2016 01:24PM
I, for one, really enjoy Basilbops trip reports. I may not get to do much hiking, but I can escape to Yosemite
backcountry in one of Basilbop's excellent trip report and their beautiful photos.
October 10, 2016 05:26PM
lschaaf
I, for one, really enjoy Basilbops trip reports. I may not get to do much hiking, but I can escape to Yosemite
backcountry in one of Basilbop's excellent trip report and their beautiful photos.

Thank you for saying so!

He puts in a lot of time curating the photos, uploading and writing the report and linking the pics and all. I, for one, truly appreciate it! I love revisiting our past trips.. and I look forward to new ones..
October 03, 2016 04:30PM
South Yosemite? 20 - 25 miles?
Suggest Beasore Drive (North at Globe Rock), up to Chiquito Creek TH, (7235).
Easy 7 miles to visit the Chains...(BTW, good fishing Lower and Middle) and perhaps, x-country over to Breeze (route starts between Middle and Upper). Dynamic scenery at relatively lower elevation...downhill on the way home too.
October 04, 2016 08:01AM
Yup, did that on my way out after Merced/Red/Post/Fernandez (on the way out). Didn't actually take the excursions down to Chain Lakes or Breeze. I'll have to look for my trip report/log to remind myself of what that was like. The parts further north were spectacular, as I recall.
October 12, 2016 07:43AM
Did you go?

We went Fri-Sun... and didn't see a single person in a 40+ mile trip...
(ok, JKW and I saw ONE person .5 mile in)

Lots of smoke from Lakes Fire...

October 13, 2016 12:54PM
No. angry smiley
Won't waste everyone's time with the "why not?". Argh.

Was thinking maybe this weekend, but weather not looking so good. When I do go, looks like entering at Mono Meadow (Illilouette Canyon) or Bridalveil Campground (Ostrander/Hart Lakes) would work well, typically have availability this time of year, and allow either lingering at destination then a return for out-and-back trip or continuing to the other TH for a nice loop.

When researching I saw restrictions on overnight parking on GP Road. When this is in force, is parking in the TH lots still allowed?
October 13, 2016 02:13PM
Nope.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
October 13, 2016 07:25PM
I was afraid of that - I presume it's to allow snow removal. So beginning this Sunday, the Mono Meadows and Bridalveil Campground TH are affectively closed? Or difficult to enter?

Is there a strategy to deal with this (just walk further)?
The Glacier Point shuttle does not stop at these trailheads (per nps.gov/yose)
The Badger Pass shuttle doesn't start until December (nps.gov/yose)
October 14, 2016 08:05AM
As of October 15, there will be no overnight parking on the GP road... and you can't even park at formerly-Badger Pass until the ski operations open, usually in December. (This is why we did a hike off the GP road last weekend--last chance to get a TQ segment in the area before the parking restrictions became effective...)

You might want to check out the areas that can be accessed via the Alder Creek "trail" from Chinquapin; e.g. Westfall or Turner Meadows and some of the mid-elevation lakes in this area (TR in a day or two...)
October 14, 2016 11:04AM
Ouch! That makes me feel even worse about missing my planned trip last weekend. I didn't realize the full consequences (last chance for 2016 season).

So the people that stay in Ostrander Ski Hut ski/hike to the trailhead at Bridalveil Campground from formerly-Badger Pass, then hike/ski in along the trail?

BTW, thanks for all the great TRs basilbop!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2016 11:06AM by ags.
October 14, 2016 01:42PM
The winter route(s) to Ostrander do not follow the summer trails exactly. The three ways to Ostrander I'm aware of are:

1) Merced Crest--the most direct, but also the most difficult
2) Ghost Forest, which more or less follows the summer trail from Bridalveil Campground
3) Horizon Ridge, which departs the GP road between the summer Ostrander and Mono Meadow trailheads, meeting up with the summer trail at the base of "heart attack hill" (where the summer trail turns to the right and climbs along the ridge)

I think the Horizon Ridge route is the "fastest" for skiers since you can take the most advantage of the groomed GP road.

The nice thing about winter is if there's enough snow you can go whatever way you want. The three routes above are more or less marked with metal markers in the trees, but it's best not to depend on these, nor is there a need to follow these routes exactly. It's usually easiest to follow the ski tracks/snowshoe-prints of another party :-)
October 17, 2016 03:32PM
For the next few weeks, presuming there is not much snow and GP Road is open, is the common practice to park a vehicle legally overnight (where would that be, if formerly-Badger-Pass is not allowed) and thumb a ride to Mono Meadow/Bridalveil Campground TH and go in that way? This time of year, what would the likelihood of getting a ride back to my vehicle from these trailheads on a Sunday afternoon?

I've skied to GP and it was spectacular. When the snow comes, I may consider going out to Ostrander via Horizon Ridge, but will need to learn a bit more about backcountry skiiing (without tracks/grooming). I'll save that for later.

Thanks for the reply.
October 18, 2016 07:19AM
Seems they now allow parking at Yosemite Ski and Snowboard area until GP road closes
for good ... (which at point they will plow the road) ... and then reopen.. for skiing beyond...

October 18, 2016 08:04AM
ags
For the next few weeks, presuming there is not much snow and GP Road is open, is the common practice to park a vehicle legally overnight (where would that be, if formerly-Badger-Pass is not allowed) and thumb a ride to Mono Meadow/Bridalveil Campground TH and go in that way? This time of year, what would the likelihood of getting a ride back to my vehicle from these trailheads on a Sunday afternoon?

Thanks for the reply.

Where to park...that's a good question. I am not sure. There is no place to legally park on the Glacier point Road until the Badger Pass Ski area is opened. Maybe at the Chinquapin intersection or at the trailheads along the Wawona Road south of there?

Chickon will know.
October 17, 2016 03:54PM
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/badger-winter.pdf

FWIW ... Merced Crest is by far steeper than Horizon Ridge.

hehehe

Dooz a loop with the wifie (blops were in Sequoia goofing) ... up Merced Crest... around Horse Ridge ... Hart / Ostrander... out Horizon...
at a certain point the trail was hard to find ... and I just said "ok, I wanna go up there ..." it seemed like about a 60 degree slope
... and lo and behold... there were the ski markers ...

Anyzoo... good fun

October 18, 2016 07:21AM
OK... maybe it was only 40

(that rock thingie beyond... that's half a dome)

October 18, 2016 04:28PM
Did you ski, hike (boots) or snowshoe? Looks pretty.
October 19, 2016 07:03AM
Snowshoe.

Conditions for making miles were stellar...

contrast to trip over xmas... after new dump :

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login