Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: 2 days, 1 night, Upper Yosemite Falls and North Dome

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

2 days, 1 night, Upper Yosemite Falls and North Dome
October 13, 2016 04:59PM
Dear awesome folks that hold the wisdom I don't,

I've never been to Yosemite and it's been a decade since my wife last gazed upon its beauty. She's never been to Yosemite Falls so we plan to do some backpacking and see the falls in two weeks. I'd also love to witness the views from North Dome and see Indian Arch. Would it be best to start at Porcupine Trailhead, hit Indian Arch, then North Dome, the Point, camp, head to the falls in the morning and then hike back to Porcupine or go in the reverse order from Yosemite Falls trailhead or go from one end to the other???

Any information from those with experience in the AO would be greatly appreciated.

-Dusty
October 13, 2016 07:30PM
I've been to North Dome and to the top of the Falls but have yet to do the stretch in between so I'll let others opine on your route but, much as I hate to burst your bubble, there's no water in Yosemite Creek (and hence no Yosemite Falls) right now. Here's a timelapse of the Falls over the last few days (I think the video starts at midnight so it takes a few seconds before you see anything except a dark screen).

There may also be restrictions in effect now on overnight parking on Tioga Road but I'm not sure about that. Again, I'm sure someone else will chime in.
October 13, 2016 08:58PM
David,
Thank you for your input. Sadly I already understand that we may only view a drop or two down the rock face, but that's what she is set on seeing. That's why I added North Dome to the route-hopefully then we get another memorial view.
-Dusty
October 14, 2016 07:59AM
There will be no overnight parking on the Tioga Road after October 15, so if you want to do an overnight trip in the North Dome area, you will have to access it from the Valley. If you are in decent shape, you could hike up the Snow Creek trail and down the Yosemite Falls trail as a 2-3 day hike. As of a few weeks ago there was water in Lehamite, Indian Canyon, and Yosemite Creeks. Note that there is a no camping zone at the top of the Snow Creek switchbacks due to bears.
October 14, 2016 09:28AM
basilbop,

Thank you, this is great information.

-Dusty
October 14, 2016 09:30AM
I guess you could deploy other means of transportation, if parked outside Tioga boundary. A real loonie could bike, skateboard, rollerblade, from there to trailhead. tongue sticking out smiley
avatar Re: 2 days, 1 night, Upper Yosemite Falls and North Dome
October 15, 2016 01:34PM
Justin I would recommend starting at the Old Big Oak Flat Trailhead and doing the entire North Rim from west to east. You can park at the trailhead, and in addition to going to North Dome and the top of Yosemite Falls you can get to the top of El Capitan and Eagle Peak as well!

Its probably around 30 miles total including all of the side trips. If you start at the Big Oak Flat Road TH you have a reasonable few miles of gradual climbing to warm up with, starting at 5000 feet elevation, so you save about a thousand feet of climbing vs. starting at the Snow Creek side, which has my "favorite" 108 switchbacks for the 3000 foot climb to the rim.

If that is too much for a one nighter, then just come down the Yosemite Falls trail. I did this latter 2 day, one night trip this past spring, TR here. and a nice video here.. Of course, we did run into a bit of lingering, unmelted winter snow back then. And much more water than you will see.

You will need to figure how to get from the last shuttle stop in the Valley (Camp 4) back to the trailhead, which is about 8 miles. Maybe some friendly folks at Camp 4 could give you a ride....
avatar Re: 2 days, 1 night, Upper Yosemite Falls and North Dome
October 17, 2016 11:59AM
You have never been to Yosemite.

Sigh

My suggestion is... although perhaps you may be an avid backpacker...

eschew that for a drive up to Glacier Point and a hike up to the top of Sentinel Dome (perhaps)
and then hike up to the turn of Yosemite Falls (they turned the waterfall back on this past weekend) tongue sticking out smiley
and then hike up to top of Nevada Fall (up Mist) ... and down JMT

go find a hotel somewhere...

if you MUST backpack... from your post...
I'd go up Yosemite Falls ... and take it from there... if you want... go to North Dome and Indian Arch
... but don't be dead set on it... take your time and enjoy ...

Thats my 2 dollars worth...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login