All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 15, 2016 07:12AM

climb on?

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 15, 2016 07:14AM
without the dipper...

November 15, 2016 10:00AM
I doubt that there is another shot like this anywhere. One for the books.

Old Dude
November 15, 2016 10:15AM
Very cool. I love the headlights on the second one.
Re: Big El Cap Dipper
November 15, 2016 10:16AM
Traffic jam on the road...and on the routes!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
November 15, 2016 03:19PM
Wow looks like there are still plenty of late season climbers on El Cap!
November 15, 2016 05:51PM
That's a lot of moonlight shadow on El Cap - beyond what others noted about the climber "traffic".

One of the times my mother visited from Michigan, before she died, we took an October trip to Mammoth for California fall color. On the way, I think at the pullout along the Dana Fork, I stopped and pointed out the night sky. It was a moonless night.

I did this because, without moonlight, the high Sierra sky can be a very unusual sight for someone not used to it, with the inability to pick out constellations due to the fact that the sky is simply filled with points of light, everywhere. Closer to sea level the atmosphere filters that out, and you easily pick out the major stars, and the patterns their apparent alignment from Earth form in the sky. But without that filtering, and without moonlight, it's all there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2016 05:52PM by ttilley.
November 16, 2016 09:21AM
In an unpolluted and dark night-time sky, we can see roughly 2500 stars. In a city, it's closer to 250 stars, total.

Big difference!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
November 17, 2016 09:31AM
smiling smiley great shot chick-on!

now...someone figure out the "constellation" formed on El Cap
November 17, 2016 01:41PM
Nice shots, Ansel!

Reminds me of the time I completed the CCW Yose-ElCap-Rockslides loop. It was night time, and had to walk an additional 2 miles or so back to the parking. Seeing all the climber campsite lights along the wall was quite amazing.
November 19, 2016 04:24PM
Fantastic picture
November 20, 2016 04:23AM
Goodness, I'm a sucker for those long-exposure night shots that show the harmony, or at least coexistence, of natural beauty and human endeavor. Thanks for sharing, Chick-on.
January 04, 2017 08:24PM
Any info on the equipment & technique necessary for such a shot? Does this require a DSLR or can it be done with a mid-line point-and-shoot?

Regardless, those pictures are really beautiful, in more than one way.
January 05, 2017 02:10AM
ags
Any info on the equipment & technique necessary for such a shot? Does this require a DSLR or can it be done with a mid-line point-and-shoot?

Off hand I'd say you need the DSLR.
Combo of fast lens, low noise sensor, and long exposure.
P&S cameras don't tend to have those.
January 05, 2017 09:23AM
Thanks for the replies. I have a Panasonic Lumix P&S (ZS40). It has aperture & shutter control (which I haven't used much) but I don't think it supports anything like 30 second exposures. I'm pretty sure (because of price point) that it's got a pretty lousy, small and noisy sensor.

I can always try it though - I always bring it with me in the backcountry (I guess I'm a dinosaur that hasn't adopted the phone camera way of life yet) along with a small Gorillapod (stand) and I don't mind wasting the film.

Nice pix!
January 05, 2017 05:49AM
ags

Chick-on will probably respond but IMO you'll need exposure time control, perhaps up to 30 sec. So if your P&S can take a 30 sec exposure, you're half way there. The other part is keeping the camera steady for those 30 sec. Several ways to do that.
January 05, 2017 08:03AM
ags

You'll want a manual camera with ISO, aperture, and shutter control. And a tripod of some making...
My Panny Lumix LX7 has that. Depending on how dark it is ... you need to play around
until you get what you like...

I took this one a week later ... was outside for a good half hour... wasn't super happy with it...
So never posted...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login