Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Over Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

December 12, 2016 07:12AM
(or done with Yosemite)

tongue sticking out smiley

SEKI TQ baby!

Bring it!

Chick-on is looking at you!
December 12, 2016 08:35AM
chick-on
(or done with Yosemite)

Never thought I'd see you type those words!
December 12, 2016 09:16AM
Well, never *done* with Yosemite.. So much still to see/revisit!

But fun to try to spend more time getting to know another beloved area!
December 12, 2016 10:20AM
Copy that.

Just keep hiking...
Just keep hiking...
Just keep hiking...

(you're supposed to sing that... )

but ya...

pssssst...

Yosemite IS better
smiling smiley

December 12, 2016 09:28PM
What! I was just there! What area did you guys check out? We spent Saturday and Sunday around the Muir Grove area

-Kevin
December 13, 2016 09:04PM
We did a lot of reconnoitering... checking out various trailheads and roads...
Giant Forest museum and Foothills visitor center...
Went in Foothills and out Gen Grant Grove (in 198... out 180)
It had been a long time since had been in The Giant Forest... and wow.
yeah... um... um.. yeah... um... As much as I love Mariposa Grove... um wow...

Indian Head, Ladybug, Hospital Rock, Colony Mill,
Tokopah Falls, Giant Forest, other stuff near Foothills... and then time ran out...

But will be back... a lot... this year... and next ...

Probably missed something... but that's prolly plenty o info..

December 13, 2016 10:34PM
So many trails but no eye candy? crying

Would definitely recommend Muir grove the next time you're out there! Nice secluded non-developed hike. That and potentially a backpacking trip along the HST (spring), Lakes trail and Redwood Canyon!

I'll be back in SEKi every other weekend and will probably do a few winter trips.
December 15, 2016 06:37AM
Looking thru the 500+ photos I took... not sure they give any indication how I felt.
We got dumped on heading to and from on Thursday and Saturday... but the
weather was a joy the entire time there... took a lot of mundane/esoteric photos..
for planning other stuff... and just because...
we hit a number of weather windows nicely... fog and stuff like that...
and since never been to many of the places we went and explored.. had a
lot of fun and lot of laughs and a lot of inspiration
(ok... I'll stop there) (but I'll be back a lot)

Same day:

Have fun

December 15, 2016 10:56AM
Well.. go figure... with the water color discussion...

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/historyculture/renaissance.htm

specifically this:

December 15, 2016 10:09PM
KevinD
So many trails but no eye candy? crying

Would definitely recommend Muir grove the next time you're out there! Nice secluded non-developed hike. That and potentially a backpacking trip along the HST (spring), Lakes trail and Redwood Canyon!

I'll be back in SEKi every other weekend and will probably do a few winter trips.

Haven't been to Muir Grove yet!!

The HST was Basilbop's and my first "long" backpacking trip, almost 80 miles, no resupply. Friends of ours decided to play in the eastern Sierra while we hiked and picked us up at Whitney portal. Have done it a few times now. Decided I liked the cold Kern river water better than the Kern hot springs! I was still coming to grips with cold water then....

We got into doing the Moose Lake Loop (XC involved) for my birthday for a number of years. I've only gone down the Lakes trail from Pear.. Love swimming in Pear!!

Redwood Canyon became a favorite when we finally made it there. On one trip, another couple was with us and we all held hands and hugged the toe of a huge sequoia right on the trail. I guess I really am a tree hugger! Chick-on coaxed us into hauling down to Big Spring when he went with us on a backpack there. Kinda messed up his doing all the trails in the area. Shucky darn, I'm gonna have to go back and make sure he does it all!

Over the past two summers fires and smoke and general air quality have kept us out. I have sensitive bronchials...

But for many years now we have been going in winter at least once to snowshoe amongst the giants. I love saying hi to them..sadly some of the winters were dry and it was like fall hiking! But still gorgeous!

I have done the JMT a couple of times as well, so am familiar with that route, but there is so much more!

Oh... and a favorite swimming hole is at Roads End. And we have car camped and dayhiked a bit there. And on one HST trip we bypassed an out and back to Whitney and finished our planned route out Bubbs to Roads End. Worst face flies ever! So that won't be fun.... we had flies on our recon trip last weekend at the lower elevations!

But I am definitely looking forward to getting to know SEKI better.

All that said, Yosemite is home in a way I can't describe, so I get what AGS is saying below...not taking anything away from SEKI, which I love dearly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2016 10:12PM by JustKeepWalking.
December 15, 2016 07:16PM
I think I get it. Kinda'.

I'm still not nearly done with YOSE. But I've been to SEKI and it's great too. The giant trees are... giant. Awesome (appropriate use of the word, not the now common use). Maybe something like "spiritual"? Or inspirational, thought-provoking, centering - putting oneself in context with the longevity/proportion/meaning of it all?

Anyway, I've had some great visits there. Hope to do the HST soon. But I can't put my finger on it - there's something different in the feel between YOSE and SEKI. YOSE does seem "better" - but I can't articulate what, or why. Could it be I'm more familiar with YOSE? Or that the famous iconic sights in YOSE somehow draw me there, despite my "not-a-follower of what most people think/like/do" personality? That there are more obvious, spectacular routes in YOSE and one has to be more of an informed "insider" to find them in SEKI? Is is that there are more loop trails of 3-7 days duration in YOSE than SEKI? I don't know.
December 20, 2016 07:01AM
It was just a play on words. TQ Done. Gonna do more in SEKI.

Yosemite is my home. (some would say literally)

December 20, 2016 08:37AM
Right. I didn't believe you were literally "done" with YOSE. And I feel privileged to be able to visit SEKI - it's great. I just can't easily explain why, or even describe what it is about YOSE (at this point) that makes it my "preferred place". (although I'd have to say that includes Emigrant too)
December 21, 2016 01:40PM
I feel that Yosemite is my heart and Yellowstone is my soul so I definitely have a spiritual attachment to those places, especially Yosemite. That being said, I have been to SEKI several times and while I really enjoy it, I don't feel the same connection. It could be that I can't backpack so I only see the front country and not the high country so for me it is big trees followed by more big trees with some vistas. With Yosemite it is the mixture of the granite cliffs, waterfalls, meadows, lakes, big trees, the ability to access some of the high country without having to hike a lot and even the smell that draws me more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2016 01:41PM by parklover.
December 21, 2016 01:46PM
parklover
and even the smell that draws me more.

I'm sure you're referring to the wonderful aroma from the pizza at the Curry pizza patio (or in your case, the Village Loft)! smiling bouncing smiley
December 21, 2016 11:15AM
I'll be doing redwood canyon (hopefully in snow) in the coming weeks if you're interested!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login