All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

MSR Snowshoe selection question!
December 14, 2016 11:12AM
Hello Fellow outdoor junkies!

I'm currently in the market for snowshoes for the significant other and she clearly wants the lightest possible. So considering my love for MSR, I'm considering the Revo Ascents and the Lightening Ascents. From the spec its seems that the Revos are only 7-8oz heavier (per shoe i think). Would the extra cost of the lightenings be worth it? My other concern is durability as this will be her first pair of snowshoes. The plastic deck of my revos can sure take a beating but I'm not sure the deck material on the lightenings could? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Kevin
avatar Re: MSR Snowshoe selection question!
December 14, 2016 11:48AM
I'd say for most people the MSR Snowshoes are bomber (they even say so on their site)...
So... I'd get her the Lightnings and not worry.
Yes, they are "only" 8oz less (it's 4 oz per shoe) .. but... I'd go with that.
Even though these are "trail" shoes... imo... they are fine for 99% of what people do in Yose.
I'd spend the extra cash and get her the Lightnings Trail shooz...
2lb 15oz (per pair)

If they get so bad... you can maybe complain to MSR
(they sent me a new pair when I literally wore them out)

smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: MSR Snowshoe selection question!
December 14, 2016 12:12PM
Lightening Ascent has heel crampons unlike Revo and I know some of my mountaineering friends in WA use Lightening Ascent. Lighter wieght, especially on feet, is a great plus. The only caveat is that I believe it's sturdy aluminum instead of steel, so if you do a lot of mixed snow and rock/gravel could dull the points. I think it's easier to sharpen the steel points compared to aluminum (others on the forum can give a better expert opinion on sharpening etc.).

Heel crampons are more useful for icy and aggressive/steep terrains. See this pic for heel crampon. http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_MSR-Lightning-Ascent-Snowshoes_10260091_10208_10000001_-1_
December 14, 2016 03:33PM
Used MSR EVOs before

Used Northern Lites Elites many years.

Chick-on praised Lightning Ascents and I agree they are superior for Yosemite trails. Sierra period. 360 perimeter frame teeth are awesome. As nwhkr points out heel crampon useful!

Love them!

And don't forget a set of Kahtoola Microspikes!

Costco (our local one, anyway) has a set of traction devices by SnowTrax (by yaktrax), which are like the Kahtoola Nano-spikes. But $10. Lightweight. We bought as transitional/pavement emergency use. But I just used them in seki and was scooting on icy/packed snow trails. Definitely worth having as spares/loaners/not sure if needed and don't want weight of Microspikes.
December 14, 2016 04:17PM
MSR has a few different Series:
- Trail
- Explore
- Ascent

Within that they have models:
- Evo
- Revo
- Lightning
w/ woman's (or UL as Basilbop perfers)

The lightest is Lightning/Trail/Woman's

Looking at them... I would say they are good for Yosemite Backcountry...

I would recommend them. They are the lightest and certainly would be nice.

Spend the money. (they are cheaper than Lightning Ascent)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2016 04:18PM by chick-on.
December 14, 2016 05:50PM
I was looking at the binding systems. If you aren't too aggressive with the XC and all, the Trail series should be fine. I have always preferred the full strapping of the Ascent series..

Also... and I generally use the French technique of putting my heel flat against the ground on uphills.. if it's really steep, the ascenders on the "Ascent" series have been really handy *for me* -especially with a pack. but they really only work going up steep terrain. But I won't go without anymore!

The guys don't tend to use them much, but I think they both use Austrian technique more. They are VERY strong.
December 14, 2016 09:23PM
Well we went to the store for her to check em out... she wants the lightening ascents lol. the plastic deck models (revos) were too "heavy" for her haha

Plus she liked the bindings of the ascent series better too so I guess we going for the best right off the bat ...(plus its the only way i can convince her to come on trips with me ahaha)

Thanks all for your input!
Kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2016 09:34PM by KevinD.
December 15, 2016 06:24AM
Cool!
It's a great snow shoe

So she ended up with 3'9 oz Ascent vs. 2'15 oz Trail
Hope she likes!

Have fun!

December 15, 2016 08:37AM
I tried to point on the weights to her...but she said not to question her logic....Hey as long as this gets her into more snowshoeing trips right???......I can only hope!
December 15, 2016 10:46AM
Copy That.

I know someone who, if the snowshoes were lime green... wouldn't care if they
weighed a couple pounds more... so yeah, best not to question.
(said person probably looking to see if exists now)

tongue sticking out smiley

Have fun

December 15, 2016 02:16PM
they had a lime green, but not in the model I wanted! And a yellow, again, not in the model I wanted.

Look, as much as color sways me.. and weight sways me.. function FIRST!

The traction of the shoe is key. The comfort and security of the bindings *for the intended use cases* is key. The ascender is key *for me* because you and Basilbop keep leading me up steep stuff!

So, I am supremely happy with the performance of my slightly heavier snowshoes! Even if I am left yawning at the boring "white" color... Sigh...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login