All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hammock camping in Yosemite
January 04, 2017 04:41PM
I am planning to hike for about a week in Yosemite in August or September this year. I despise camping in a tent. I have not been to Yosemite before, but I would like to know if hammock camping would be possible ( I already have all of the gear so it would be my preference as well as most comfortable). I am hoping to hike Happy Isles to Sunrise pass thru, hike half dome (fingers crossed) and end around Cathedral Lakes. I also have no idea about temperature changes/ average temperature in August or September for that area so if someone could give me an idea that would be awesome!
Re: Hammock camping in Yosemite
January 04, 2017 05:28PM
First of all, welcome.
There have been several threads about hammock camping over the past few years. Some swear by it, some swear at it. I would say if you are comfortable using a hammock (sounds like you are) it's definitely possible.
Temps in August can get down to the teens in the area you're talking about, perhaps colder in late Sept. Most would say a 20 degree bag is sufficient but of course sleeping temp is a personal matter. Not sure if an under quilt is necessary but the hammock hangers can better advise on that.
avatar Re: Hammock camping in Yosemite
January 05, 2017 07:59AM
Z wifie sleeps in hammock "all" the time... big issue imo is I don't... so ...
Finding a spot near to each other can be somewhat problematic.
There's loads of trees... so as long as not IN burn area... then you will find stuff...
even at the highest elevations... (we camped over 10,200 ... and found trees for
her hammock last year) ... but it's always a search...
Last week she just slept in the tent with me... (it's warmer and ... well... anyway)
So... IF you camp at LYV (which you probably will) then you probably want to
have straps to protect the trees...they are probably stickler there about tree
damage due to the campground aspect of LYV. Beyond there... The Meadow Fire
makes the portion from Clouds Rest Trail Jct. past Forsyth... close to Sunrise HSC
pretty much don't camp for almost anyone (cept summity stuff)..
So... just avoid that and everything else you will be able to sleep how you like.

If August... underblankie and a 30 bag for top and you'll be fine.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 05, 2017 10:09AM
So what you're saying is that camping between LYV and clouds rest isn't a good idea? I was planning to hike past LYV and camp in the woods. The following day I would backtrack a little bit to hike half dome and then continue my hike.
avatar Re: Hammock camping in Yosemite
January 05, 2017 10:50AM
No. I didn't say that.

But to confuse you more... a couple of points:
a) getting an HI-LYV-Sunrise passthru permit will be difficult. The quota is VERY low...
and you have a LOT of competition... so you MAY have to stay Night 1 in LYV
still not a trivial permit to get in August... but ... quota much higher
b) you have to beyond the Half Dome/JMT junction before you can camp...

To show you the fire damage...

A - Half Dome / JMT junction ... need to be beyond here to camp
B - Clouds Rest Jct (one I mentioned in reply above) ... good camping here... beyond to east... you hit
burned area.. as in roached area... as in ... good luck finding safe hammock spot
C - This is Forsyth Trail junction ... just marked for your convenience...
(edit: oops... that's not Forsyth ... that just JMT / High Trail Jct... but Forsyth is right at the C)

Have fun ... hope this helps

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2017 10:52AM by chick-on.
January 06, 2017 10:20AM
Thank you that helps!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login