Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Suggestions for Challenging Full 3 Day Backpacking Trip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Suggestions for Challenging Full 3 Day Backpacking Trip
January 11, 2017 10:51PM
I am going to be visiting Yosemite for the first time in July. I am looking for suggestions for challenging three day backpacking itineraries. I would love to experience some of the main sights but I know the park will be crowded in the summer so some "off the beaten path" suggestions would be great. Or just suggestions on a solid, first Yosemite experience. I hope this isn't my one and only time to visit the Park, but if it is, I want to know I experienced as much of it as I could within my timeframe.

I am an experienced day hiker (Cactus to Clouds, Rim to Rim, etc) and I am just beginning to venture into the world of backpacking. Can't wait!
January 11, 2017 10:58PM
Since it will be your first visit, I highly recommend you just spend those days doing some dayhikes so you can see everything! Start with the Valley Day 1, Day 2 check out Cathedral Lake up at Tuolumne, and then you can check out the "new" Merced Grove the next day!

But if you want to do a backpacking trip, there are a few nice loops. I personally love the Nelson Lake (Little ...very little XC really) --> Cathedral Lake loop. Ill post a map up when I can.
January 12, 2017 08:39AM
KevinD
Since it will be your first visit, I highly recommend you just spend those days doing some dayhikes so you can see everything! Start with the Valley Day 1, Day 2 check out Cathedral Lake up at Tuolumne, and then you can check out the "new" Merced Grove the next day!

But if you want to do a backpacking trip, there are a few nice loops. I personally love the Nelson Lake (Little ...very little XC really) --> Cathedral Lake loop. Ill post a map up when I can.

Thanks for the suggestions KevinD. But I am really leaning towards backpacking. I'd love to see the loop map when you have the chance to post it.
avatar Re: Suggestions for Challenging Full 3 Day Backpacking Trip
January 12, 2017 06:29AM
Looked at your profile...

Not sure if you are AVID backpacker.

Do see "chick-on : Don't care"
This one I just don't fully understand. I mean, I care.
I think there should be more options:
I could care less
I could care more
Why should I care?
Who cares?
Can we call just care?
Care care a lot

Anyway, I'm not THAT bad in "real" life.
So... FIRST TIME... unless you are an AVID backpacker... and have a FULL WEEK..
I would not recommend backpacking. 3 days. You just can't do Yosemite justice. imo.
You cannot possibly hit it all. Even something like:
Red Peak Pass Loop
High Sierra Camps Loop
Benson Loop
PCT / Benson Pass / GCT Loop
All those are not trivial at all and not doable for most in 3 days.
So... I highly recommend doing LONG dayhikes...

Grand Canyon of Tuolumne (basilbop and JKW have done a couple of times) (will provide link if want)
Mammoth to Tuolumne (over Donahue)
Up 4 Mile Trail ... Panorama Trail ... down Mist (or vice-versa)
Up Snow Creek ... North Rim ... up Eagle Peak ... back down Yosemite Falls (or skip Eagle spur) (it's long already)
Cathedral Lakes - Sunrise Lakes - Clouds Rest - back out to Tenaya Lake .. or down to Half Dome and out Happy Isles
Tenaya Lake - Clouds Rest - Half Dome - Happy Isles

Mix and match

And of course
Half Dome

Enjoy
See, I care
Chick-on is looking at you!

Have fun (and ask more if you like)

January 12, 2017 11:16AM
Oh I know 3 days won't do Yosemite justice. But I also know that if I try to wait until just the right time that it might never come! This year I have the opportunity to be there for 3 full days so that's what I'm going to do smiling smiley

The link to the post on the Gand Canyon of Tuolumne would be great.

Cathedral lakes. Could I bag Cathedral Peak and camp at Cathedral lakes in 1 day? Then Sunrise Lakes - Clouds Rest - Half Dome - Happy Isles?

Thanks!
January 12, 2017 11:34AM
Of course you should go for three full days. I'm only trying to help you MAXimize
what you see and your enjoyment for those three days.

GCT dayhike
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,43562,43562#msg-43562

Cath Peak is pretty close to the road... if have the skillz.. no problem bagging
and camping at Cathdral Lake. That TH is one of the most sought after permit.
You'll be spending time waiting and listening in order to get the permit.
One you will want to reserve ahead of time... but it will still eat time to pick up
the permit.

If dead set on backpacking... look at loops above.
Long days... long miles...
Something like Red Peak Pass from Glacier Pt or Mono Mdw or Happy Isles
can be done in 3 days and is a challenge indeed...

January 12, 2017 11:36AM
Cath Lakes and Clouds and Half Dome to Happy Isle...
Yeah, that would be a good one for 3 days...

Try for that. It would meet your needs and you would see nice portion of Yosemite.

January 12, 2017 12:42PM
Haha oh I have skills! But not great snow stuff skills. And from what I've recently heard about what the conditions could still be like in the beginning of July, I'm not going to get my heart set just yet on bagging it.

I think that last Cath Lake - Clouds - Half Dome to Happy Isles is the winner. Now to just get the permit!

I appreciate all your help. Thank you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login