All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Current Road access to Yosemite Ski and Snowbaord area from bay area
February 09, 2017 12:14PM
Hi all,

Just found out about this forum and it is amazing. Does anyone know what are the current road conditions/options to go from bay area to Yosemite Ski and Snowboard for this Saturday 2/11?

On map it looks like one can go via 120 or 140. Not sure with all the news about rock slides and flooding/flood watch.

Thanks in advance
avatar Re: Current Road access to Yosemite Ski and Snowbaord area from bay area
February 09, 2017 12:23PM
Last I heard 120 and 140 were closed in the park. So that leaves highway 41 (Wawona Road) as your only access. Call 209 372-0200 for current road conditions.
What eeek said, keeping in mind that the road can be open when you leave the bay area and closed by the time you to the park due to rockfall or debris washout on the road that occurred while you were in transit. Happened to us in reverse yesterday - left the park on 140 and two hours later they closed it because of flooding at the junction with 120.
Re: Current Road access to Yosemite Ski and Snowbaord area from bay area
February 09, 2017 12:55PM
Also, keep in mind that conditions can change at any time, especially with active weather and saturated ground. While driving out, I'd call the number above from Manteca and/or Mariposa, where you can change your plans based on road closures. A paper map (or offline/downloaded maps) wouldn't be a bad idea if you normally rely on a smartphone mapping program w/o offline maps. Also, make sure you are carrying chains--you are required to carry them even if you have a 4WD/AWD vehicle.
February 09, 2017 01:07PM
Eeek/basilbop/NQTG - Thanks for the quick reply and timely tips, this is very helpful. I am leaning towards postponing our trip to 2 weeks later with all the information that you have shared.
Thanks
avatar Re: Current Road access to Yosemite Ski and Snowbaord area from bay area
February 09, 2017 03:25PM
Also be aware that they are doing ongoing bridge work on 120 at Don Pedro Reservoir and, at least 2 weeks ago, were closing the bridge on weekend nights, starting at 5 I think. I think that this will be going on for a while.

There is a detour, but it adds at least a half hour to the trip, which makes 120 (my usual route from the Bay Area) about as long to get to the Valley as 140.
February 10, 2017 01:09PM
Thanks Bearproof, that makes sense. Yes google maps was showing 30 mins extra for going via 140 instead of 120. Still debating about going to Yosemite Ski and Snowboard (Badger pass area).

Looks like all roads are open now.
Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login