Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Rostrum

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 06, 2017 07:33AM

Unique View...

Tought I'd share.

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
March 06, 2017 01:40PM
Thanks for sharing it

I was looking closely at the photo to see if the pink-one Chick-on avec les pieds had managed somehow to get to the top of the Rostrum for a cameo. smiling smiley

Leave No Trace
March 07, 2017 03:45AM
plawrence
Thanks for sharing it

I was looking closely at the photo to see if the pink-one Chick-on avec les pieds had managed somehow to get to the top of the Rostrum for a cameo. smiling smiley

Last one here.. sort of..

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,87684

March 06, 2017 03:03PM
Sweet!
March 06, 2017 03:11PM
Taken from ???
March 06, 2017 04:01PM
Beautiful, from the 120 tunnel air shaft opening I presume.
March 06, 2017 05:40PM
You meant Big Oak Flat Road...
smiling smiley

Other Tunnel View

March 07, 2017 12:26PM
I've wanted to walk out there every time I go, but for some reason, I always drive in when it's dark. I'll make it a point to make a trip out there. Thanks for the shot!
April 04, 2017 06:45AM
Another stunning photo.

One of the ways I try and choose where to go walking is just by looking at maps (as opposed to following known trails, people's recommendations, etc.) So, looking at the topo map coming into the Valley from the south, it's pretty obvious that the Rostrum and Elephant Rock could be short easy walks with magnificent pay-offs in the shape of the views from the cliff edges. If I try and Google to see whether I'm right, if it's practicable in practice as well as theory, I just get loads of stuff about climbing up from the Merced Valley floor. But looking through the archives of this forum tells me that it is very practicable to walk onto The Rostrum and Elephant Rock. It also tells me that in the Spring, they often have closures for the peregrines nesting. When that's the case, is it just the climbing that's closed or are we not allowed to walk across the top of The Rostrum and/or Elephant Rock as well?
April 04, 2017 09:53AM
You should definitely not go there.

(that's a joke)

They have sandwich boards (unfortunately I couldn't find the shop itself)
at the down to the Rostrum... pretty much they want you to stay away from
the cliff face... which you would have to zoop around to if you wanted to
get out on the Rostrum / really close to the top o The Rostrum.

Elephant Rock is simple to get out on. I didn't know of any climbing restrictions there.

Have fun

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login