Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Possible to use HI to Illilouette wilderness permit to access TM?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Possible to use HI to Illilouette wilderness permit to access TM?
March 18, 2017 03:55PM
Hello Yosemite experts,

I am just wondering if it is possible to use a Happy Isles to Illilouette wilderness permit to access Tuolumne Meadows? Potential route would be:

Day 1 - Happy Isles to first permissible campsite on the trail that hugs the west side of Mt Starr King (the Yosemite TH map shows that this route is permissible for the Happy Isles - Illilouette permit)
Day 2 - Backtrack the Mt Starr King trail to JMT, then proceed up to Sunrise
Day 3 - Sunrise to TM, and pick up my next permit at TM.

I have a Lyell Canyon JMT permit, so this would basically be a work around for covering the HI to TM leg.

Someone on another forum suggested that I would potentially be in violation of my HI to Illilouette permit if I backtracked to the JMT after the first night. My understanding was that as long as you enter the correct TH and sleep in the correct first night location, the rest of the trip is fair game on any route (with the exception of "special conditions" routes, such as the Donohue Pass quota system for JMT permits).

I would be grateful for any insight!
Re: Possible to use HI to Illilouette wilderness permit to access TM?
March 18, 2017 05:29PM
Langostino
Hello Yosemite experts,

I am just wondering if it is possible to use a Happy Isles to Illilouette wilderness permit to access Tuolumne Meadows?
Someone on another forum suggested that I would potentially be in violation of my HI to Illilouette permit if I backtracked to the JMT after the first night. My understanding was that as long as you enter the correct TH and sleep in the correct first night location, the rest of the trip is fair game on any route (with the exception of "special conditions" routes, such as the Donahue Pass quota system for JMT permits).

I would be grateful for any insight!
You are correct about your "...as long as you enter at the correct TH and sleep in the correct first night location, the rest of the trip is fair game" supposition. As long as you are not too many days over on your permit, and enter at the correct TH on the permit-stated day, you can go almost anywhere in the park...legally...I have.
You may be a bit careful about not staying in LYV though (one of those special Yosemite quirks)...rangers check.
avatar Re: Possible to use HI to Illilouette wilderness permit to access TM?
March 19, 2017 05:53AM
You can stay in LYV on that Illilouette permit, just not the first night. Basically, comply with the permit for the first night and then you can go anywhere you want. You'll have to exit/end your first permit and then re-enter/start your Lyell JMT at the proper trailhead and on the day it is reserved for.
avatar Re: Possible to use HI to Illilouette wilderness permit to access TM?
March 19, 2017 05:56AM
The short answer is:
Yes
The longer answer is:
Leave No Trace
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/jmt.htm

You probably already read that but 2 things
I'd appreciate you think about is that first of
all that permit is the lowest in the park.
3/2 = 5
So are you taking away a permit from someone
who really wants to do RPP or such?
Or will the park service continue to change quota
to lessen the impact?
What they said about Sunrise impact is so
true and really sad imo. The Backcountry
Is not a campground where "improvements"
should be made.

I'll get off the soapbox but can elaborate on
why I am saying this if want.

Anyway have fun on your JMT trek.
It will be forever remembered by you
and the people who join you.
(Up to two others I presume)

Regards

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login