All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mid April Snow Creek Trail
March 30, 2017 02:56PM
Will there be too much snow on the snow creek trail to hike it without snowshoes in mid April?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2017 02:56PM by NickyWicky.
avatar Re: Mid April Snow Creek Trail
March 30, 2017 08:32PM
The Snow Creek Trail should e free of snow from the valley to the rim then. Once you get to the rim there will probably be snow everywhere. It will be consolidated so easy traveling on snowshoes or even just micro-spikes. A good way to assess to snow conditions in that area at that time will be weather or not 120 has been cleared and open. I suspect 120 won't open until July so expect lots-o-snow after reaching the rim..

Old Dude
Re: Mid April Snow Creek Trail
March 31, 2017 12:53AM
My friends actually did the snow creek trail this past weekend and reported no issues with snow. They did have yaktraxs but didn't need em.
so i believe you will be ok if we don't get any large storms coming in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2017 12:53AM by KevinD.
March 31, 2017 10:12AM
Sweet, and do you think I'll be able to get all the way out to indian rock without any snow gear?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2017 10:13AM by NickyWicky.
avatar Re: Mid April Snow Creek Trail
March 31, 2017 02:32PM
If 120 has not opened by then you can be sure there is still lots of snow above the rim. Even if 120 IS open that doesn't mean the snow is gone in the Indian Rock area.

Use this link to check the water content of the snow in the Tuoulmne watershed and when it gets down near zero inches of water then snow won't be a problem. Right now there is near 10 feet of snow all over the place with 60-70" of water content. Plan on needing snow gear and serious route finding skills for your time frame.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/current/snow/pillowplots/TuolumneMerced.html

Old Dude
April 01, 2017 06:45AM
Awesome, thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login