Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Illilouette Falls - Early May

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Illilouette Falls - Early May
April 26, 2017 09:49AM
I'm heading to YNP for a couple days in the first week of May. My plan is to hike up Mist Trail and over to Illilouette Falls. IDeally I could keep going along Panorama and down Four Mile, but I know it's closed right now.

Does anyone have info on the Panorama Trail conditions right now? I expect there will be some snow, but wondering if I need snowshoes? Or if is impassable?

Thanks,
AAR
avatar Re: Illilouette Falls - Early May
April 26, 2017 10:10AM
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,88621,88621#msg-88621

That's best I can do...

A zillion people go up Mist Trail on a daily basis...

Maybe someone who looks here maybe has a camera or a phone with a camera...
(do they make those)

Anywho...

have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 26, 2017 11:02AM
Thanks, chick-on. Hopefully that thread with have a post-trip report. I'd certainly appreciate it!
April 26, 2017 02:35PM
We are planning on heading up the Mist Trail to LYV on Friday - I'll try and take a shot and send it over (TRY being the operative word).
April 27, 2017 01:28PM
For anyone else interested, NPS responded to me on instagram and said that the trail to illilouette falls is "Very VERY wet with some patchy snow and ice."

jchapell, a picture would be awesome, but no sweat if you're unable to. Enjoy the hike!
April 30, 2017 08:14PM
Went up to Glacier Point via ledge and down Panorama/Mist last week. You don't need any snow gear between Mist and Illilouette Falls (or Glacier Point). There are a few patches of snow, but its mostly between Illiloutte and Glacier Point. Make sure to wear waterproof shoes. The trail is a creek in many places.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2017 10:30AM by chulavista.
May 01, 2017 09:22AM
Thanks for the info, chulavista. Great to hear that the snowpack is light.
Any chance you can repost or DM those pics? They're not rendering.
May 01, 2017 10:00AM
I edited the links. Let me know if that didn't work.
May 01, 2017 10:14AM
only the last one...no worries if it you can't figure it out. That last one tells the tale
May 01, 2017 10:31AM
Ok, I repasted with -tmp.jpg at the end. Hopefully they show up now.
May 01, 2017 08:02PM
that worked. Thank you so much! I'll be sure to post some photos of my trip.
May 03, 2017 04:32AM
I'll reiterate what chulavista said! Great conditions right now other than the snow melt causing the trail to be a creek. Microspikes were great for the last 0.25 mile.
May 16, 2017 06:59AM
We are first time hikers to Yosemite and really wanted to hike the Panorama trail. We have never hiked in the snow - and I am a bit nervous about all of the talk referencing getting lost and snow bridges with the current conditions. Is it that difficult to stay on trail hiking from Glacier Point? We plan to hike the trail on Monday. We have hiked Angel's Landing and The Narrows and so have some experience - just not using GPS...
Thanks
May 16, 2017 11:56AM
You will be fine. Just plan on getting wet. I don't remember any snow bridges when I did the trail a few weeks ago.

There is a snow bridge on 4-mile, but I think that trail is still "closed".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login