Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Two Night Backpacking Trip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Two Night Backpacking Trip
May 07, 2017 06:08PM
Hello,
A buddy and I are looking going to be in YNP May 18th-21st. We are looking to obtain a first-come backpacking permit early Thursday morning, Ideally for happy isles but I am aware this may be difficult. The first question I have is how early am I going to have to start waiting outside the valley visitor center on Thursday to ensure a permit for Friday night? I know this is the most popular trailhead and is sort of a long shot but I am willing to get up very early to try and snag a permit.

We would like to camp at LYV and head out on day camps for the next two nights. (not sure what we would be doing for those two days exactly).

As I know it is very late and this could be impossible to pull off, I am looking for recommendations for other two night backpacking routes. We do not have any experience backpacking in Yosemite and I have been doing hours of research and always seem to hit some dead ends. We are not looking to do anything overly strenuous as the main reason for our trip is photography and videography. Any tips would be so helpful.

Thanks so much,
Jordan
May 07, 2017 07:42PM
The snow level in Yosemite right now is about 7,000 feet. Except for Yosemite Valley itself and Hetch-hetchy, everything else there is above 7,000 feet. You are going to be in snow most of the time---and unless you take a very well used trail (like the one to LYV) you may find the trail is under enough snow that you can't follow it. Other trails?

Certainly Rancheria Falls from Hetch-hetchy. You could try to hike up either Snow Creek or Yosemite Falls, and at least see how much snow is on the North Rim.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Two Night Backpacking Trip
May 08, 2017 07:25AM
Since you want for NEXT day... and you can't get that until 11am...
And the cables aren't up yet...
Um... I would think it wouldn't be too much of an issue...

No idea where you are coming in from... but I'd try on way in if coming
in 120...

Look here:
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildcond.htm

I'd spend the 2 nights in LYV if I were you.
There's plenty of stuff to see.... head up the canyon (see that link!)

Everything out of the valley is strenuous...
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/valleyprofiles.htm

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 09, 2017 12:20PM
Thanks for the information I appreciate it! I will be coming in from highway 41 through the Wawona entrance. Do you recommend driving all the way to the Yosemite Valley Visitor Center to get the permits because they give out the most there? Also, I have been reading that some people start waiting outside the visitor center early in the morning. Because half dome is still closed would we be okay getting there around 10 am?

So there is enough to do in LYV for two nights even though half dome is not open yet?

Again, thanks for the help,

Jordan
May 09, 2017 02:57PM
Confoozed

You said you were going to get a permit for the NEXT day

I assumed you were going to do that and then hike around valley and wuttnut
and then camp in BP CG in valley on night 1

Night 2 and 3 in LYV

No?

Anywho... you have to get to LYV... I dunno what ur state of hike-a-tood...
but it MAY take you longer than you think...
And you want to take peekchures

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 10, 2017 02:04PM
Assuming its after 11:00 the day before you hit the trail, I would suggest trying the permit office in Wawona, rather than waiting until getting to the valley.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login