Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Glacier Point Timing

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Glacier Point Timing
May 11, 2017 05:59AM
I'll be coming up from SEKI next week through Wawona and had planned on my first stop at Tunnel View.

I've seen people referring to Glacier Point as a good afternoon / evening viewpoint but I'm wondering if I should stop by Glacier Point early morning on my way in to the park?

Plus, I guess I'm concerned about the parking up at Glacier Point. Does anyone know if they will have plowed the entire lot and what the parking situation might be up there?

I've never been to Yosemite so I guess I'm fearing the worst in terms of parking, etc. I'd hate to skip Glacier Point in the morning only to find a massive traffic / parking jam up there in the afternoon.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
May 11, 2017 06:43AM
It's good anytime.

It's on your way in.... I'd stop in on way in...

What day are you coming?

Since next week is NOT Memorial Day weekend... I wouldn't worry...

They certainly plowed the entire lot at GP. There is lots of parking.

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 11, 2017 06:55AM
Thanks for the response.

I'm coming into the park the morning of Tuesday, 5/16.

Having never been to Yosemite I guess I just fear the worst with respect to traffic and parking. I just really hate spending time in the car in backups, driving around looking for parking, etc. because I start thinking that this is time I should be on the trail. So, I usually try to get the car parked as early as possible and head out on the trail.

Unfortunately, it seems like this is tough to do on the way into the park since I'll want to stop at Glacier Point, Tunnel View, Bridalveil, etc. which will leave me getting into the valley late morning which I suspect will be a madhouse.

I'm hopeful it won't be too bad since it's a pre-Memorial Day Tuesday.

Thanks again.
May 11, 2017 07:14AM
DCHook
Having never been to Yosemite

O gosh

Um... yeah... um...
wow

Um...

Go to Glacier Point first...

And TAKE YOUR TIME...

Take it in...

Then Tunnel View...

And fall in love...

You are going at a great time

What are your plans?

What are your plans in SEKI?

We have been going nearly every weekend into SEKI since Dec... so maybe can give some tips...
And ... sorta have been to Yosemite a few times...

smiling smiley

Have fun!

May 11, 2017 10:04AM
Wow. Just remember -- you asked for this! (Seriously, though, I'll take any thoughts.)

[5/13, Sat] Arriving in Sequoia NP early morning. Explore Sequoia all day. Staying at Wuksachi Lodge.
[5/14, Sun] Exploring Sequoia NP and then heading North to King's Canyon in the late afternoon. Staying at either Cedar Grove or John Muir Lodge.
[5/15, Mon] Exploring King's Canyon NP all day and then heading North towards Yosemite in the evening. Staying in Oakhurst.
[5/16, Tue] Arriving at Yosemite / Glacier Point early morning. Explore Yosemite all day. Staying in Half Dome Village.
[5/17, Wed] Exploring Yosemite. Staying in Half Dome Village.
[5/18, Thur] Backcountry permit Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley. One party member remains at Yosemite Valley Lodge.
[5/19, Fri] Continued Backcountry hiking this day and either spend one more night at LYV or backtrack to the lodge for the night.
[5/20, Sat] Leave Yosemite heading West to San Francisco.

Trails / Points of Interest: (We won't be able to do all of these but I'll try to fit in as much as possible.)

Sequoia: Marble Falls, Moro Rock, Hanging Rock, maybe High Sierra just as far as Eagle View, Giant Forest, Congress Trail, Tokopah Trail
King's Canyon: General Grant, Yucca Point Trail, Roaring River, Mist Falls Trail
Yosemite: Glacier Point, Tunnel View, Bridalveil Falls, Four Mile (as far as I can go), Lower & Upper Yosemite Falls, Mirror Lake, Vernal & Nevada Falls

So, I haven't allocated specific trails to specific days yet beyond a few basics but I'll nail that down moving forward.

The basic plan is South to North in Sequoia. Then head to Cedar Grove in King's Canyon and work our way back West.

Entering Yosemite, I'll try to pick off Glacier Point and Tunnel View along with Bridalveil Falls. After that, get situated in the valley and choose what's next -- head to Mist Falls Trail or head up the Yosemite Falls trail, etc.

I'd take any insights into these plans.

Thanks.
May 11, 2017 10:46AM
Great plan!

Yucca Point Trail (all of Monarch Wilderness) is closed... so scratch that...
Again... TAKE YOUR TIME... driving into Cedar Grove... it is an AMAZING drive

Everything else you got pretty much nailed imo.

You got a lot there... since Crescent Meadow/Moro Rock road is now open... you'll
be able to save a bunch of time there in the Giant Forest...
We recommend Log Meadow loop (east side) to Tharps Log... then to Chimney Tree
then the west side of Crescent Meadow .... (reason being is that the trail b/t log and crescent is flooded)
Round Meadow
Full Congress grove loop with Sherman

Zumwalt in Kings Canyon

In Grant Grove... if you have time... Panoramic Point (road MAY be open)
Sure bets ... Mark Twain Stump (from near entrance will literally take you 15 minutes to see)
And of course General Grant Tree loop ...

For you LYV experience... yeah... go up Merced River ... see Meadow Fire and the cliffs and such
... there won't be much of any snow until the bridges near Bunnell..

But ... all in all... don't worry too much... you'll have fun...
Don't HAVE to do anything... take it in

Enjoy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2017 10:47AM by chick-on.
May 11, 2017 11:23AM
Great information and tips (I had no idea about the Yucca Point being closed.)

Couple follow-up questions:

1. We absolutely intend to head up Merced River from LYV. But, also, what's the situation with Panorama Trail heading towards Glacier Point? Is there any value in starting up that hike? Or are the conditions just not good enough?
2. Good information on Sequoia & King's Canyon. I have admittedly spent less time researching the hikes there. Have you done the High Sierra hike to Eagle View? Is that worthwhile?
3. Have you done the Marble Falls Trail? Is that also a good choice? Any thoughts on Marble Falls vs. Tokopah Trail?

I ask these questions mostly because, as much as I like to think that I'll get everything in, I know that eventually choices will have to be made and some hikes will be missed.

Thanks.
May 11, 2017 12:08PM
Panny Trail is nice... not sure it worth your effort to go that-a-way especially since you
would have gone to Glacier Point already... I'd go up Merced River until you say ...uh I don't think so...
And then also go up towards Half a Dome... you get nice views eventually... maybe try to get to
near the subdome...
imo... you'll enjoy the views in different perspective...

w/r to SEKI..
yes, done Marble and Tokopah ...

As you head up from Three Rivers... I'd recommend taking the time to AT LEAST
check out Hospital Rock and the trail that head down from there...
Do that without question...
Marble Falls is very nice... it's a low elevation hike... you can see a bit here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,87336,87336#msg-87336

Tokopah is something like less than 4 miles in total... so if you got the time
definitely do that...
The Marble Falls is cool on account these marble veins are a big reason
that SEKI has so many caves (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Eagle View is great... but you get the same view from atop Moro Rock ...
so you can skip Eagle View imo

May 11, 2017 12:15PM
I'll assume you saw this:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,88245,88245#msg-88245

Since then we've done

Big Baldy
Little Baldy
Buena Vista
Muir Grove
and loads more...

including most of Grant Grove trails...

I narrowed Grant to what I'd recommend...
mainly you want to stay within the Groves...
similar to Giant Forest
(i.e. in Giant Forest area... Sugar Pine trail is less spectacular for example)

The stuff above were lots of snow.. and probably still will be...
so...

Buena and such here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,88743

and my goofy take here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,88591

Anyway... prolly TMI

O... we highly recommend taking the SOUTH trail over the Red Bridge to
get to Mist Falls.. the NORTH trail (shorter) .. is ALREADY getting sandy!
and ... luckily the black flies weren't out yet... but... they could be by now.

Anywho... have fun!

May 11, 2017 01:21PM
DCHook

[5/16, Tue] Arriving at Yosemite / Glacier Point early morning. Explore Yosemite all day. Staying in Half Dome Village.

On Tuesday (5/16), this is what I would recommend. Go to Washburn Point and then Glacier Point early in the morning. Take a lot of photos. Then head back out on Glacier Point Road to the Sentinel Dome – Taft Point Trailhead parking lot. Do the short hike to Sentinel Dome. It's an easy trail, but microspikes, Yaktrax (or maybe snowshoes) might be required depending on how much snow might be on the trail.

Depending on the trail and weather conditions, you might want to hike out to Taft Point and the Fissures too.

After visiting Sentinel Dome (and maybe Taft Point) then head into Yosemite Valley, being sure to stop at Tunnel View first followed up by a up-close visit to Bridalveil Fall.

Leave No Trace
May 11, 2017 02:07PM
Hi. Yeah, I just didn't mention any of those on account that
there will indoob-i-dub-ly be a load o snow on the trail
and in the past when such... getting to Taft has been very
problematic for some.
Once on snow an easy hike becomes painful and sometimes
impossible for some.

Of course... if he has the time... all are worth doing... though
quite honestly... the view from all along Glacier Point is, as
an Old Dood has once said, astounding.

I know you mentioned snow and all...

Just trying to give him more info / perspective and such...
(see http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,88964,88967#msg-88967
... there is picture set of Taft TH ... my guess is that is what it looks like now)

Have fun

May 11, 2017 02:29PM
Well, I did end up including my snowshoes in the box of hiking gear that I had shipped so nothing is necessarily off the table.

I think it will more than likely come down to a question of time. And, I know that in new locations, I tend to go pretty slow as I take a ton of pictures, etc.

Related to all this, it looks like we'll be stopping on the way in at (a minimum of ) Glacier Point, Tunnel View (Artist Point?), & Bridalveil Falls and possibly the also-mentioned Sentinel Dome, etc. Conservatively, that puts us into Yosemite Valley somewhere 12PM-1PM maybe. We have reservations at Half Dome Village that evening. Do we park in the Day Use Parking Lot at that point or is there lodge-specific parking lots and can we use those at that point (even though check-in isn't until 3 or 4PM)? I guess the big question is how big an issue will the parking be at that point?

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2017 02:30PM by DCHook.
May 11, 2017 02:42PM
DCHook
Well, I did end up including my snowshoes in the box of hiking gear that I had shipped so nothing is necessarily off the table.

I think it will more than likely come down to a question of time. And, I know that in new locations, I tend to go pretty slow as I take a ton of pictures, etc.

Related to all this, it looks like we'll be stopping on the way in at (a minimum of ) Glacier Point, Tunnel View (Artist Point?), & Bridalveil Falls and possibly the also-mentioned Sentinel Dome, etc. Conservatively, that puts us into Yosemite Valley somewhere 12PM-1PM maybe. We have reservations at Half Dome Village that evening. Do we park in the Day Use Parking Lot at that point or is there lodge-specific parking lots and can we use those at that point (even though check-in isn't until 3 or 4PM)? I guess the big question is how big an issue will the parking be at that point?

Thanks.

Feel free to use the Half Dome Village parking lot. You might (maybe) be able to check-in early too.

Leave No Trace
May 11, 2017 02:38PM
Yes, that's why I rated Taft Point as a maybe, because of the snow (plus possible creek crossings (Sentinel Creek) with very high water).

But I think the hike to Sentinel Dome ought to still be doable for most people with proper footwear. I'm pretty confident any part of the trail still buried under snow would still be well-traveled and packed down (since Glacier Point Road would have been open during this upcoming weekend). I should have mentioned having trekking polls would probably be very helpful and beneficial at the end of the hike to climb up the north face of Sentinel Dome which will certainly be packed with snow.

Leave No Trace
May 11, 2017 02:41PM
Copy that.

smiling smiley

He can park at HD Village Park-on... regardless when he shows in valley...

https://www.nps.gov/hfc/carto/PDF/YOSEmap2.pdf

the P right to the right of HD Village...

Sounds good.

He will have fun

May 11, 2017 02:49PM
Thank you guys so much. Really helpful information.

I'll have my trekking poles and snowshoes (just in case).

I wish I had about 10 days just for Yosemite alone so I could really just take my time and go slow.

But, I'll take what I can and fit in as much as possible (while also not going too crazy).

Thanks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2017 02:50PM by DCHook.
May 11, 2017 09:03PM
Just on Sentinel Dome and Taft Point, we were there today and there is a LOT of snow. We just wandered down a little ways from the carpark and in my opinion it's going to be very difficult to hike without proper snowshoes route finding equipment...
May 11, 2017 09:14PM
Thanks for the timely report. I have snowshoes and my GPS, of course, but even then I'm not sure that I'll push on if it looks too difficult -- not because we couldn't do it but because there are so many other things on our list of todos.

Dave
May 11, 2017 07:16AM
"Madhouse" is an exaggeration, since you'll be there mid-week before Memorial Day. You should be good to go, even if you only arrive in the valley at 11 AM. Do what Chick-On said: stop at GP on your way in, since you'll pass by the GP road on your way in from Wawona. If you're leaving out of Wawona in the evening, stop at GP again for before sunset. They're doing roadwork in the valley and this will affect some parking lots (see here: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/roadwork.htm), but you should still be able to find spots in the valley too, and take the shuttle bus around.
May 11, 2017 10:22AM
"And ... sorta have been to Yosemite a few times..."

Good one.
May 11, 2017 02:22PM
Hey guys -

I have been following the site for several months now as we prepare to go to California and just haven't signed on until I basically saw this post which is almost an identical trip except we arrive Wednesday and leave the Saturday before the holiday. We got notice that our reservation was cancelled so will be FCFS in SEKI. Any recommendations? Also we were planning the Redwood Mountain Grove for a day hike of about 10 miles and that looks closed still. Any recommendations?
May 11, 2017 10:05PM
kuhlmann,
regardless of the state of the Redwood Mountain Grove road to the trailhead there...
personally I really wouldn't recommend for someone that hasn't been to SEKI before
to hike anything other than General Grant and Giant Forest w/r to Sequoia Groves.
Giant Forest is an absolute gem. There is about 40 miles of trails (according to NPS)
(haven't done the math) ... so it is quite easy to get away from people. And the
trees are all in all bigger than Redwood Mountain Grove.
All the trails which stay w/i the Giant Forest grove itself are spectacular imo so
it's pretty hard to go wrong.

be aware of the travel times...
to get from Lodgepole (Tokopah falls) or Giant Forest ... to Cedar Grove will
probably take 2 hours...

Anyway, check out the Giant Forest Museum too...

And if you are in Grant Grove area the movie in the visitor center is worth your time.

Lodgepole visitor center will probably be open when you go... it wasn't open last weekend
when we were there...

Have fun

May 12, 2017 06:51AM
After reviewing weather reports we are thinking about actually staying in the foothills Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights and will be driving up to do a Wolverton Loop probably Friday and checking out Moro Rock and Tokopah Falls. We went to Redwoods NP last year and are going as much for the canyons and waterfalls as much as the trees. Sunday morning we are thinking about heading to Azalea Campground to travel over to do Mist Falls and Paradise Valley on Sunday then off to Yosemite.

Would you recommend staying in Potwisha Thursday and Friday nights then moving on to Azalea for Saturday and Sunday nights to be closer to Grant/ Cedar? Any concerns with actually getting a spot on the weekend for first come first serve?

Any idea what the ETA would be going from Grant to the Valley? Also, I have an eerie feeling I will need chains but since we live in Oklahoma, I don't have any nor do I have ANY idea how to put them on or drive with them. Is this a major concern?
May 12, 2017 09:34AM
Ok, then you should do Marble Falls.

I'd stay at Buckeye... but not for more than 2 nights...
Move to Lodgepole...
The move to Azalea... then to Cedar Grove...

I dunno what you mean by Wolverton Loop... Wolverton area last weekend
was a swamp... and the whole area was in snow... so expect snow
all the way to Panther gap... if try to just do loop from there... just around the
meadow... you MAY need to hike out to Wolverton Rd...
(we started from there and hiked up ridge ... then hit Alta trail ... which
we took to Wolverton cutoff etc etc)
Anyway...
Ya. Do Tokopah for sure

Um..

Grant to Yosemite... 3 1/2 hours
Grant to Cedar 45 to an hour (you should take your time!)
Grant to Lodgepole ... 45 to an hour
Ash to Lodgepole ... hour

It's too far out to worry about the weather...
and it will melt fast... so highly unlikely you need chains...
It snowed over 5" last sunday morning... and it all pretty much
melted in a few hours... they required chains for a small
amount of time... and closed Crescent Mdw road
(which was nice ... since then could just hike it in and out
via road and trail)

Anyway, other campgrounds are opening on the 24th...
hopefully that helps you out...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login