Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Clouds Rest, Early June

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Clouds Rest, Early June
May 17, 2017 07:52AM
Hello, I'm planning out my hike to Clouds Rest from Happy Isle. I'll be taking the JMT over to clouds rest trail head. After all the snow this season, I'm trying to figure out if I need to bring micro spikes or snow shoes. I'll be in the park from 31 May to 8 June. It seems the lower elevations will be snow free. My concern is around the half dome/JMT split and onward. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Clouds Rest, Early June
May 19, 2017 03:37PM
Hmmm from my experiences last year, snowshoes were needed near the CR/JMT junction. Everything before that was snow free. This year could be different IE snow level might be lower so I'd still recommend bringing snowshoes
avatar Re: Clouds Rest, Early June
May 22, 2017 06:33AM
There was little to no snow up to CR junction in early April this year...

Currently it looks like it's fairly clear to the bottom of "Gorilla Rock" (lower pinnacle)

I'd bring microspikes... or crampons and ice axe... though I'd look from valley and
decide or from glacier point... then again... if dayhiking... I'd maybe just carry the snowshoes
but doubt I would... the snow gets very deep higher you go... but it's all
south and west facing...

from Glacier Point from friday:

that's the face of half dome on right... the top portion is squiggily line of snow ...
that is the trail...

from further south:

looking straight on... ish

anyway, be safe

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 22, 2017 06:35AM
Top and beyond will be100% snow...

in past I've posted lots of these pix...

Have fun

It's pretty kewl

May 23, 2017 06:40AM
What it looked like on JUNE 10, 2011

Expect the same... ish...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login