Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Uber in Yosemite??

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Uber in Yosemite??
May 19, 2017 06:51PM
Does anyone know if Uber is available in the Yosemite area?

I need a ride down from Tuolumne Meadows area down to the Yosemite Valley. Yarts does this drive, but they leave TM in the morning and I need a ride down in the afternoon.

Has anyone ever used or seen Uber in the area???

Thanks.

hikerneil
May 20, 2017 04:30AM
Don't know about Uber, but you'd probably have better luck talking to someone at one of the TM parking lots and asking for a ride.
Markskor would say put your pack out beside the road with a sign, and stand there with your thumb out. Works for many people.
May 21, 2017 04:56PM
Last year the Hiker's Bus came down in the afternoon/evening. I don't see the 2017 schedule posted yet, but that should be an option again. http://www.travelyosemite.com/things-to-do/guided-bus-tours/ .

As for Uber, I've no experience with them, but their estimator web site shows rates for Yosemite ...
May 21, 2017 09:44PM
Uber can probably drop you off if you started outside the park. To get permitted to operate inside the park, ie. pick up clients inside the park, could be a nightmare for Uber. Just to take pro pictures for a wedding requires the selling of your first born.

Old Dude
May 21, 2017 10:19PM
mrcondron
Uber can probably drop you off if you started outside the park. To get permitted to operate inside the park, ie. pick up clients inside the park, could be a nightmare for Uber. Just to take pro pictures for a wedding requires the selling of your first born.

Is ride sharing regulated by the NPS? One would think that being Uber or Lyft drivers would be a convenient way for Aramark employees to supplement their income during their off hours.

Leave No Trace
May 22, 2017 01:19AM
Uber isn't exactly known for playing by the rules. They'd probably just ignore any need for permits or licenses.
May 22, 2017 05:31AM
I dunno if Uber and Lyft are or aren't allowed to operate in Yosemite, but at the Everglades site for the Shark Valley Visitor Center (https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/svdirections.htm) there's this warning, which gave me a laugh:

"NOTE: VISITORS ARRIVING BY UBER - Due to the remoteness of this area we are finding that visitors arriving by UBER transportation are unable to acquire a return UBER, we suggest checking with your driver for return arrangements or have an alternative taxi option. There is no other public transportation to this site."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 05:31AM by Not quite The Geezer, but getting there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login